Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Stouffer’s Report - COVID19 Culinary Experiments

The Stouffer’s Report - COVID19 Culinary Experiments (Page 2)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2020, 10:57 AM

Stouffer’s Swedish Meatballs: better than Banquet. Has the same sauce on one side dry noodles problem as the Alfredo. Mid-tier offering.

I’ve had them made by native Swedes, so this is admittedly a tough sell.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2020, 11:46 AM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2020, 12:55 AM

Bonus Hormel Dumplings and Chicken: Our first nuke-only option. Takes one minute. Since everything is dunked in gravy, no “microwave fritter” problem.

Okay. A little bland.

Nothing against nukes, but I tend to prefer baking because the results tend to be better.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2020, 12:35 PM

Found a recipe to use up the little bag of bread flour I had on hand.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...artisan-bread/

Wife loves a good crusty loaf. Baked those around 3PM, they didn't even last until dinner. Then I had to pick up more bread flour so I can make it again - so much for using it up.

Thorzdad
Apr 28, 2020, 01:25 PM

SBA is one of my fave recipe sites. Smitten Kitchen is another good resource.
I'm gonna have to give that crusty loaf a try.

Leucha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2020, 11:45 AM

Have anyone got addicted to BBQ on lockdown? I can't stop myself. Tried beef rib with chipotle sauce last night

andi*pandi
Apr 29, 2020, 12:41 PM

Well that looks good.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2020, 10:45 AM

I'm hungry now...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2020, 12:16 PM

As meat processing plants close due to infected workers, to prepare for the meat shortage we are going to try more vegetarian recipes. Next week, falafel, assuming we find chickpeas.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 2, 2020, 07:45 AM

We did veggie tacos with avocado cream this week. Would definitely recommend - it's a great way to get lots of veggies and between the avocado and feta it doesn't feel "empty" like veggie dishes sometimes do.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2020, 11:17 AM

That sounds awesome! I think we'll have to try that.

Did you add the beans/garbanzos, or just stick with the feta for protien?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
May 2, 2020, 12:33 PM

I’ve taken to making esoteric juice/coffee concoctions. Mango ginger limeade etc. Some are failures (charred jalapeño lemonade, bleh!).

andi*pandi
May 2, 2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
(charred jalapeño lemonade, bleh!).
The best margarita I ever had was hot pepper watermelon. I kid you not.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2020, 04:33 AM

Counterpoint: frozen strawberry.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2020, 12:20 PM

ugh no. strawberry goes with rum and lime.

Thorzdad
May 3, 2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Counterpoint: frozen strawberry.
You’re not making margaritas. You’re accidentally using tequila in the daiquiris.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2020, 04:33 AM

I don’t make them, but I like them enough I’ve for reals considered buying a commercial slushee mixer.

Though Piñas are the one boat drink to rule them all.

Goddamn I miss Trader Vic’s. Nothing like getting schnockered there at 3 in the afternoon.

Leucha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2020, 08:05 AM

While I still have meat - I keep experimenting with grilling. Here is pork loin I was grilling this Sunday. Good stuff!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2020, 09:06 AM

This weekend it was Monkey Bread

We made turkey burgers - the recipe included a chopped up portabella head mixed in with the meat, which left us with a spare portabella head, so we made portabella fries.

Last night was Manhattans on the deck.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2020, 10:59 AM

No frozen strawberry Manhattans?

Thorzdad
May 4, 2020, 12:23 PM

Ah, Manhattans. Kind of my go-to cocktail at home and away. Unless it's hot outside. Then, I opt for a G&T.
You use bourbon, rye, a blend, for your Manhattans?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2020, 01:55 PM

Bourbon! We're trying to be better about cutting grocery expenses, and an easy place to do that is booze. So instead of stocking up on wine and beer I decided to go through and see what interesting stuff I could make with what we have. We have bourbon on hand for a bourbon chicken recipe we like (and also for sipping). We have both sweet and dry vermouth, though I can't ever remember making a successful cocktail with either of them. I also found a jar of maraschino cherries in the fridge and some bitters in the cabinet, so Manhattans it was. Turned out really good.

I intended to pick up mint today but couldn't find any, so no Mint Juleps this week. We'll probably try an Old Fashioned and a John Collins since we have all of that stuff on hand.

andi*pandi
May 4, 2020, 02:02 PM

I had a hard cider this week. It was tasty, but not really drinking much alcohol during all this.

Last night's dinner took longer than expected... but tasted good:

We didn't take the time to chill the batter so instead of round falafel we had kind of flat latke-esque falafel. Fresh veggie salad and the homemade lemon tahini sauce FTW. From the Moosewood Cookbook.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 4, 2020 at 08:39 PM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2020, 04:49 PM

Just a little something I whipped up for Sunday dinner. Lasagna Bolognese and Baby Spinach & Spring Mix Salad.

OAW

andi*pandi
May 4, 2020, 08:39 PM

A+ presentation, looks great! What's the wine pairing?

Laminar, I haven't had monkey bread in years, it was always something my mother's friends made in turn. I like how you have a helper right there in the thick of it. The falafel turned into an all hands on deck situation due to lack of timing, so I was chopping, my daughter was frying, and my son made the sauce. Tonight was chop suey which is a quick basic.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 5, 2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Bourbon! We're trying to be better about cutting grocery expenses, and an easy place to do that is booze. So instead of stocking up on wine and beer I decided to go through and see what interesting stuff I could make with what we have. We have bourbon on hand for a bourbon chicken recipe we like (and also for sipping). We have both sweet and dry vermouth, though I can't ever remember making a successful cocktail with either of them. I also found a jar of maraschino cherries in the fridge and some bitters in the cabinet, so Manhattans it was. Turned out really good.

I intended to pick up mint today but couldn't find any, so no Mint Juleps this week. We'll probably try an Old Fashioned and a John Collins since we have all of that stuff on hand.
IMO Manhattan’s don’t taste right with Bourbon... rye (Bulliet) all the way.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2020, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
A+ presentation, looks great! What's the wine pairing?
Thanks so much. The wine is just a Cabernet Sauvignon. Nothing fancy.

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2020, 07:37 AM

John Collins was a raging success, but now I'm getting low on bourbon.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Laminar, I haven't had monkey bread in years, it was always something my mother's friends made in turn. I like how you have a helper right there in the thick of it.
She is very insistent on helping with the scooping, pouring, and stirring. And if it means that she's not out there terrorizing the dog, her brother, her mother, or generally making a wreck of the rest of the house, I'm glad for the help.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2020, 07:59 AM

We’ve gotten one of those meal prep delivery services which is pretty interesting. You online order a few meals a week in advance and the package shows up on your doorstep. They have all the ingredients and the recipe and you just whip out a cutting board and start cutting and throwing things together.

Since both of us work and with a 5yo and 1yo, it’s a great way to still feel like you’re cooking for a few meals a week but not have to worry about figuring it all out. And to someone else’s point, we’ve been choosing veggie meals (which we don’t normally eat a lot of) so it’s pretty healthy.
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; May 5, 2020 at 08:53 AM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2020, 08:14 AM

Had no idea you had one chilren, let alone two! Very late congrats!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2020, 12:19 PM

Bonus Marie Callender’s Shepherd’s Pie: Has gravy, so immediately beats the Blake’s. It’s not really a pie in the same way though. The ingredients are more side by side rather than stacked. It’s also back to a smaller portion.

Still needs a little something... maybe a little Worcestershire sauce?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2020, 12:02 AM

Siracha....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2020, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Siracha....
Unfortunately, not really a fan.

Annoying considering how many things it gets used in.

Not into hot stuff in general. If I’m given a choice of heat, I’ll always pick “mild”.
( Last edited by subego; May 7, 2020 at 11:05 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2020, 11:16 AM

Bonus Marie Callender’s Beef Pot Pie: Is an actual pie, unlike their Shepherd’s Pie. Same larger size as the Stouffers, but doesn’t have the undercooked problem. I suspect better pan technology, though my phone’s autocorrect suspects better pan TechnoViking.

I much prefer beef to chicken, but chicken often makes better gravy, so it’s close to a wash.

All in all, like the chicken, recommended for those who enjoy a savory pies. The chicken slightly edges it out.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2020, 12:18 PM

I suspect better pan technology, though my phone’s autocorrect suspects better pan TechnoViking.
Your phone knows you well, I'd say.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your phone knows you well, I'd say.
I mean, it checks out and all, but it’s a very old meme. I’m surprised it keeps something that old, and is going to bring it only a few letters into tec...

See? It did it again! Not even four letters.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 9, 2020, 12:25 AM

Bonus Marie Callender’s Shepherd’s Pie: Has gravy, so immediately beats the Blake’s. It’s not really a pie in the same way though. The ingredients are more side by side rather than stacked. It’s also back to a smaller portion.

Still needs a little something... maybe a little Worcestershire sauce?
Henderson’s Relish.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2020, 03:00 AM

I shall try!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2020, 06:44 AM

Unfortunately, not really a fan.

Annoying considering how many things it gets used in.

Not into hot stuff in general. If I’m given a choice of heat, I’ll always pick “mild”.
Ahhhhh.

I go too far the other way. It’s probably not great for my health in the long run. But siracha is subjectively great with sheppard’s pie if you don’t mind a bit of heat.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2020, 07:41 AM

My paternal grandfather absolutely loved crazy hot food. Eating raw hot peppers and stuff.

Then it skipped a generation, and my dad can’t tolerate spicy at all.

I’m sort of in the middle. I can handle it, and ate lots of it when I was younger to prove myself as “manly”. At some point I faced the truth I’m not enjoying it all that much, and even if I had to prove my manliness, that wasn’t the way.

I enjoy a little spice. General issue Panang curry is about perfect.

Garlic Tabasco is still a little too hot, but much better than the regular variety.

Thorzdad
May 9, 2020, 07:48 AM

I love crazy-hot food. But, it's really important to me that the dish have good flavor, too. Something that's just a mouthful of fire isn't enjoyable. But, a blazing-hot curry, yeah, that's good eating.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2020, 08:49 AM

The one thing which bums me out is I like a lot of Sichuan flavors.

There was Asian bowl place that was so good, but they just couldn’t lay off the spice. I asked them to, and they said it was impossible.

Didn’t survive long.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2020, 06:28 PM

I grew up in a very rural and white part of Canada. (Think North Dakota level of isolation...except more.) I was a legendary hot sauce connoisseur growing up, which in those days and in that time obviously meant Frank’s Red Hot.

One of my first jobs was in Toronto, which is obviously extremely multicultural. One of my coworkers was a Jamaican guy who would chew on these little peppers over lunch. When he told me they were hot peppers, you know I had to have one.

Haberneros. The psycho ate them raw. So that was my introduction to real hot food. It almost killed me, but I’ve been hooked ever since.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2020, 07:34 PM

I find even jalapeños to be unpleasant.

Again, I can eat them, but don’t want to.

As Jamaican sauces go, jerk is a little too hot, but still enough inside the envelope I’ll get jerked pork once in awhile. I cut it with lots of rice.

Pickapeppa has no heat, but is the ****in bomb.

reader50
Administrator
May 9, 2020, 09:47 PM

I was a legendary hot sauce connoisseur growing up, which in those days and in that time obviously meant Frank’s Red Hot.
Frank's is good stuff. I'm mostly doing Cholula and Tapatío today, but when those get old, I'll certainly do some Frank's Red Hot again.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2020, 10:51 PM

I find even jalapeños to be unpleasant.

Again, I can eat them, but don’t want to.

As Jamaican sauces go, jerk is a little too hot, but still enough inside the envelope I’ll get jerked pork once in awhile. I cut it with lots of rice.

Pickapeppa has no heat, but is the ****in bomb.
Hah. Sometimes I slice and chew on raw jalapeños as a snack.

In comparison an unexpected habernero pepper is like descending to the very worst level of hell. I mean literally disabling. I’m sure people have gone to a hospital for less. In today’s world there would be a lawsuit.

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Frank's is good stuff. I'm mostly doing Cholula and Tapatío today, but when those get old, I'll certainly do some Frank's Red Hot again.
Yeah nothing wrong with it—they have a Chili & Lime variant that is absolutely one of my favourite spicy sauces (it’s very mild)..

Frank’s is certainly not that hot, though. Less than Tabasco or even Siracha. Sometimes when I get a hankering for spicy sodium I’ll sneak a teaspoon out of the fridge.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2020, 12:53 PM

Shepard's pie with ground beef and lentils was... interesting. Despite the assurances of the package that lentils only needed 1/2 hour to soften up, they were still a little al dente 1.5 hours later.

Cinnamon rolls were a mess but tasted fantastic.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 11, 2020, 11:47 PM

Hah. Sometimes I slice and chew on raw jalapeños as a snack.

In comparison an unexpected habernero pepper is like descending to the very worst level of hell. I mean literally disabling. I’m sure people have gone to a hospital for less. In today’s world there would be a lawsuit.

Yeah nothing wrong with it—they have a Chili & Lime variant that is absolutely one of my favourite spicy sauces (it’s very mild)..

Frank’s is certainly not that hot, though. Less than Tabasco or even Siracha. Sometimes when I get a hankering for spicy sodium I’ll sneak a teaspoon out of the fridge.
I can handle up to about scotch bonnet/habanero heat and mostly walk away... ghost peppers and beyond hurts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2020, 08:37 AM

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/a...mason-jar.html

Legit. It will freeze faster if you spread it around the sides of the jar vs just leaving it in a lump at the bottom.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2020, 08:41 AM

Any good?

Forum Links
Forum Rules