Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Created via HSPA+

Created via HSPA+
Sealobo
Nov 15, 2009, 04:42 AM

I still remember that the first time i got online was through an dialed IDD line from Hong Kong to the USA... Microsoft was the ISP then (!). I believe it's year 1994 or 1995.

Yesterday i finally subscribed to mobile internet so that i can fully utilize my MBP... it's US$30/month with unlimited usage. Using speedtest.net i get about 1mbps from Los Angeles to Hongkong (200ms ping time), or up to 6mbps locally. Coverage is 99.9% so they claim, but it's been working perfectly so far!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2009, 01:12 PM

it's US$30/month with unlimited usage
With no data download limit?.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 15, 2009, 01:19 PM

no limit whatsoever. i tried playing WoW when i was in the subway... lol got ping time less than 250ms all the way. pretty freaken awesome.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2009, 09:11 PM

But isn't US$30 in Hong Kong the psychological equivalent of US$60 in the US?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
I still remember that the first time i got online was through an dialed IDD line from Hong Kong to the USA... Microsoft was the ISP then (!). I believe it's year 1994 or 1995.

Yesterday i finally subscribed to mobile internet so that i can fully utilize my MBP... it's US$30/month with unlimited usage. Using speedtest.net i get about 1mbps from Los Angeles to Hongkong (200ms ping time), or up to 6mbps locally. Coverage is 99.9% so they claim, but it's been working perfectly so far!
Which network are you using Vodafone or PCCW?

Are you using a USB modem for that?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2009, 09:27 PM

SmarTone-Vodafone launches its 21 Mbps HSPA+ network

SmarTone-Vodafone launches its 21 Mbps HSPA+ network And sets a new standard of transparency in broadband performance
(Hong Kong, 5 November 2009) – SmarTone-Vodafone today launched its HSPA+ network upgrade, providing maximum network speeds of 21 Mbps for wireless broadband services, and strengthening its position as the leading broadband provider across mobile and fixed markets. This latest enhancement to its wireless network further improves the SmarTone-Vodafone broadband experience, by offering even faster Internet access throughout Hong Kong.
SmarTone-Vodafone is introducing three new mobile broadband price plans, tailored to meet the specific requirements of different users. Supported by a marketing campaign with the theme “Put real power in your hands”, SmarTone-Vodafone adopts a new standard of transparency on broadband speeds, based on usable speeds typically experienced by customers, rather than maximum network speeds. The Power 3 plan provides typical usable speeds of 2–3 Mbps, giving everyday users all the speed they need. The Power 7 plan offers typical usable speeds of 2–6 Mbps, for customers demanding outstanding performance. For those who demand the best, the Power 21 plan delivers typical usable speeds of 2-14 Mbps for unbeatable performance. By subscribing to the plan most suited to their individual needs, customers can ensure they will always get best value. All of these broadband price plans come with free USB stick modems for unrivalled convenience and flexibility, allowing a single plan to serve a customer’s notebook and their home desktop computer.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 19, 2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
But isn't US$30 in Hong Kong the psychological equivalent of US$60 in the US?
hm... i wouldn't say that. In relative measure, everything is kinda cheap here due to the insane competitiveness of doing businesses in general.

Wireless internet has been around for a few years... but i didn't sign up until now. it'd cost twice as much 2 years ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules