Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Woman is Buying.

My Woman is Buying.
Sealobo
Nov 29, 2009, 08:22 AM

Me: Where are you going?

Gf: I am gonna go get this skirt refunded at the mall.

Me: It seems that you refund about 80% of your garment within a week from purchases.

Gf: So what?

Me: Why don't you think twice before you buy? Consider the time and money you can save on not having to travel back and forth.

Gf: But sometimes i can't be sure at the store so i have to hold onto the stuff for a while longer before i can make the decision.

Me: How about if you're not sure, then don't buy it until you are. That's what i do. You will always find new stuff to buy anyway. But then again you will never be sure.

Gf: Then i will end up buying nothing.

Me: Exactly.

Gf: Asshole.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2009, 08:29 AM

I hope she is not using your plastic cards for all this.

Btw - how did the Fiat end up with the new suspension mods?
( Last edited by Andy8; Nov 29, 2009 at 08:38 AM. )

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 29, 2009, 09:05 AM

The car is stiff. And as i have moved home from Kowloon to the Hongkong Island recently, i have discovered that the road condition is much worse on this side of the harbour.

You drive?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2009, 09:09 AM

Good stuff. Logic and women just don't go together.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
The car is stiff. And as i have moved home from Kowloon to the Hongkong Island recently, i have discovered that the road condition is much worse on this side of the harbour.

You drive?
I sold my Cooper S after moving to Soho, but I am thinking to move to Sai Kung so I can get a car and perhaps a boat again.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 29, 2009, 09:27 AM

Nice... sailing is cool. I can probably afford a small boat but i am not very good at swimming and i avoid looking like a jackass in a lifejacket. So boating is no good for me.

design219
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2009, 09:29 AM

Any plans of marrying GF?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2009, 10:32 AM

Ever read the comic strip "Cathy?" Cathy seems to present a lot of the real stuff women think about when they look at and buy clothes. "Will this fit after a meal?" "How will it look with the slouchy boots?" "Is it long enough to wear with my gray slacks?" They seem to have an inventory of their clothes and shoes in their heads, and they consider all sorts of combinations. But...they seldom have a complete description of each item in that inventory, so they can't exactly mentally compare things. And they are more aware than guys are of how their bodies change from hour to hour and day to day, so sometimes it's a matter of "next week, I'll know if it really fits" (meaning either when she's on or off her period).

And maybe she just likes the whole shopping and buying experience-it's fairly inexpensive entertainment.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Nov 29, 2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And maybe she just likes the whole shopping and buying experience-it's fairly inexpensive entertainment.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 29, 2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Any plans of marrying GF?
can't say i am not committed.

OreoCookie
Nov 29, 2009, 03:00 PM

As long as I have a separate account, I wouldn't care what she does with her money.
I'm not sure why, but a big percentage of women needs shopping to be happy as a human being
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 29, 2009, 06:40 PM

She sounds dumb.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2009, 06:43 PM

Bingo, you can't know if it matches something else until you bring it home and compare it. And you can't leave it there til you come again because it will be gone.

Myself, I don't have time to go every week and return stuff, so I tend to buy in outfits or things that match anything. I only go shopping for myself 3-4 times a year. If that.

Rumor
Nov 29, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
She sounds dumb.
I wonder how long it will take before batting for the other team.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 29, 2009, 06:58 PM

She sounds dumb.
You only say this because your woman dumped you and you refused to let go?

This thread ought to amuse, but you choose to be a dick.

You can continue to label your ex as cünt, whøre, b!tch, ****, or whatever. Nobody cares about your ****ed up life for the way we can see about your character here; you probably brought everything to yourself and shouldn't really complain. But how about pay a little respect to the others in general?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 07:35 PM

She sounds dumb.
Come on Rob, you gotta stop being bitter, or it'll kill you.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 29, 2009, 08:02 PM

?! This has nothing to do with me being bitter, but the girl sounds stupid. It could be a DUDE, who buys stuff all the time and then takes it back... and I'd still think they were retarded.

The idea of spending money, taking things home, deciding you don't want them, then returning them, CONSISTENTLY, is not a sign of intelligence.

Some people like dumb girls though; whatever floats your boat.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2009, 08:40 PM

Gf: So what?

Gf: Asshole.
Does she does do this when she laughs?
If so duct tape her hand to her head next time and kick her out the front door.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 29, 2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Bingo, you can't know if it matches something else until you bring it home and compare it. And you can't leave it there til you come again because it will be gone.

Myself, I don't have time to go every week and return stuff, so I tend to buy in outfits or things that match anything. I only go shopping for myself 3-4 times a year. If that.
That sounds more efficient in any case. Maybe you have a lot more things that interest you than clothes shopping, maybe you're just too busy. But either way, your method sounds effective and practical.

My wife is interested in purses (at the moment, anyway), and spends quite a lot of time examining and comparing them, but she doesn't buy unless she's sure she really wants something-and if it's gone when she goes back, that's part of her game. Being a guy, I buy stuff I need when I need it, though I do pay attention to style, color, etc. And I usually get to rant about the stores only having what people will want to wear in 3 months, not right now.

?! This has nothing to do with me being bitter, but the girl sounds stupid. It could be a DUDE, who buys stuff all the time and then takes it back... and I'd still think they were retarded.

The idea of spending money, taking things home, deciding you don't want them, then returning them, CONSISTENTLY, is not a sign of intelligence.

Some people like dumb girls though; whatever floats your boat.
As Andi points out, there are a lot of factors involved in this kind of shopping, with my suggestion of entertainment as an additional possibility. I'd take issue with your choice of words though; "different" is not equal to "unintelligent." Perhaps the woman in question simply doesn't remember colors very well and really needs to take something home to compare it to what she already has. Or it's the "thrill of the hunt," where she gets bragging rights for buying the coolest thing for the least amount of money. That's not "dumb," just a different sort of interest. Lots of people think that tube-based electronics are obsolete and it's "dumb" to mess with them. While it's obvious that they have never had the experience of comparing a plain-jane IC-based amp's sound to a good tube amp's sound, they're simply remarking on something they don't understand.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2009, 10:43 PM

As Andi points out, there are a lot of factors involved in this kind of shopping, with my suggestion of entertainment as an additional possibility. I'd take issue with your choice of words though; "different" is not equal to "unintelligent." Perhaps the woman in question simply doesn't remember colors very well and really needs to take something home to compare it to what she already has. Or it's the "thrill of the hunt," where she gets bragging rights for buying the coolest thing for the least amount of money. That's not "dumb," just a different sort of interest. Lots of people think that tube-based electronics are obsolete and it's "dumb" to mess with them. While it's obvious that they have never had the experience of comparing a plain-jane IC-based amp's sound to a good tube amp's sound, they're simply remarking on something they don't understand.
But Glenn, you're missing the point. This is the internet, where the line between opinion and solid, irrefutable fact just doesn't exist.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But Glenn, you're missing the point. This is the internet, where the line between opinion and solid, irrefutable fact just doesn't exist.
Is that your opinion or a fact?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 11:25 PM

never mind

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2009, 11:44 PM

That's better than my situation. In my house, this is what happens ~90% of the time:

1. They buy all the crap they want.
2. They hang it in the closet.
3. They wear it once (maybe twice).
4. After a couple years they clear out the closets and give the clothes to Goodwill.

At first it drove me nuts, but now I've conditioned myself to jab sharp objects into my leg instead of saying anything. It's less painful that way.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2009, 01:09 AM

My girlfriend buys first item, sees second more expensive item, takes back first item, then buys second item, then repeats.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 30, 2009, 02:49 AM

K, you guys all have stupid girls.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2009, 03:55 AM

At least they have girls.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 05:35 AM

I don't comment about their clothes, shoes, and misc other "girly fluff" purchases, and they don't ask about new A/V gear that migrates into the house. Besides, some of the clothing is filmy and looks great on the headboard.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Nov 30, 2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's better than my situation. In my house, this is what happens ~90% of the time:

1. They buy all the crap they want.
2. They hang it in the closet.
3. They wear it once (maybe twice).
4. After a couple years they clear out the closets and give the clothes to Goodwill.

At first it drove me nuts, but now I've conditioned myself to jab sharp objects into my leg instead of saying anything. It's less painful that way.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I don't comment about their clothes, shoes, and misc other "girly fluff" purchases, and they don't ask about new A/V gear that migrates into the house. Besides, some of the clothing is filmy and looks great on the headboard.
Bingo. Quid pro quo.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2009, 11:27 AM

Bingo!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
At least they have girls.
Ohhh, this made me laugh out loud.

I only return stuff if I decide it doesn't fit or isn't comfortable.

Except for shoes. I can't bring myself to return shoes.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2009, 01:22 PM

I tell my g/f that shopping is her videogames, and she agrees.

I spend thousands of dollars to sit in front of a TV waggling joysticks about, I'm sure many girls could call that 'stupid.' Girls love shopping and accessorizing, god bless 'em because they look good!

Rob, if you are this disenfranchised with women maybe it's time to turn gay? However I have a sneaking suspicion that gay men like clothes and fashion too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2009, 01:23 PM

If salty posts, I blame you.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 30, 2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Does she does do this when she laughs?
If so duct tape her hand to her head next time and kick her out the front door.
no. she doesn't cover her mouth when she laughs.

but i know a lot of girls do that, maybe to cover their chaotic teeth?

back to topic; i have no problem for my gf buying stuff, i just don't really approve the frequent refund/exchange action. You don't get to make a decision and change your mind later when it comes to the bigger stuff in life. I only think it's a bad habit to get into.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 02:19 PM

You don't get to make a decision and change your mind later when it comes to the bigger stuff in life.
Sealobo, meet women. Women, meet Sealobo.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2009, 02:34 PM

My wife does the exact same thing, but to a lesser degree... but still... she is constantly returning things.

I probably return 2 or 3 things a year on average... she probably returns 30-40 things a year on average. It's just crazy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Nov 30, 2009, 03:06 PM

I know a lot of girls who do that. I'm not into returning. Most of my clothes can mix and match, tops and pants, etc. so it's easy. If I buy something really unique, I usually buy something else to go with it, so I don't regret it when I get home. Shop in outfits, ladies! Outfits!

FYI - for the record - I do love to shop. It must be a girl thing. I guess there could be worse pastimes, right?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 04:42 PM

As an aside, you really have to love the massage therapists at the mall. Feeling a little stressed over the crowds? Just go for a good rub-down, 15 minutes in the oxygen tent, and a cold beer at the pub.
- Thomas Paine

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 30, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Rob, if you are this disenfranchised with women maybe it's time to turn gay? However I have a sneaking suspicion that gay men like clothes and fashion too.
No, I am just not a fan of stupid women. I've met many that aren't stupid. Not sure why you'd want to put up with that amount of dumbness.

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 30, 2009, 06:03 PM

No, I am just not a fan of stupid women. I've met many that aren't stupid. Not sure why you'd want to put up with that amount of dumbness.
maybe your ex had the same thought about men?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2009, 06:21 PM

Instant Rimshot
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2009, 06:23 PM

I wonder if they enjoy the social interaction of returning something. I'm surprised there isn't some university study on this.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 30, 2009, 06:29 PM

Yeah dude because I'm so dumb. That's why I have many of my designs/products for sale in home depot, and other things of mine getting produced in Pasadena to be sold at 52 online retailers. Yep, I'm soooo dumb.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2009, 06:36 PM

Yeah dude because I'm so dumb. That's why I have many of my designs/products for sale in home depot, and other things of mine getting produced in Pasadena to be sold at 52 online retailers. Yep, I'm soooo dumb.
Your posts here to little to persuade otherwise.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 30, 2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your posts here to little to persuade otherwise.
They are too little? Does this help?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2009, 06:58 PM

We were all once the shiny new toy that the woman wanted to try out. If we're lucky, we get to stick around long enough to enjoy it.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2009, 07:10 PM

What kind of self-masturbatory BS is this Rob? You call everyone's women stupid and then reinforce how cool you are. When the hell are you going to grow up, and by grow up I don't mean become successful.

My g/f is by all accounts an anti-girl. She hates talking on the phone, never texts, abhors social networking sites and listens to the same music as me, yet because she likes shopping for things she may not want she's stupid?

Your wife sucked, we get it, but some of us are quite happy with our quirky little birds so maybe STFU a bit from now on, eh?

Sealobo  (op)
Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 PM

There is no logical connection, but you see that as a proof anyway. Whoever having something on sale at Home Depot must not be dumb?

But there is really no need for you to establish anything; most people are logical enough to judge for themselves in this public forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules