Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook spontaneously goes to sleeps & and sometimes does not wake up

Powerbook spontaneously goes to sleeps & and sometimes does not wake up
rm6990
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 05:23 PM

Basically my powerbook randomly goes to sleep without any notice

And sometimes it goes to sleep and does not turn back on what so ever.

The only solution to turn the computer back on is remove the battery and av adapter then completely drain the inernal battery. Then i have to plug and put back the battery and av adapter. Once that procedure is done the computer comes back on.

I called apple care a numerous of times, but they simply cannot come with a proper solution. All they are doing is basically keeping a log of the spontaneous shut offs.

-I reset the powermanagement and the firmware

-I ran the tech tool program and everything passed except for my hardrive. I repaired whatever needed to be repaired on the hardrive, but once again the computer shut off randomly.

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the probelm that i am currently experiencing.
If so, i would be delighted to follow any instructions that could come to a solution for the probelm.

perhaps it is a hardware probelm?

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 05:39 PM

With The Techtool Cd what specific problem occurred? And did you perform a surface scan of the hard drive because that option is check off by default.

What Model Powerbook do you have? What OS is it running? There are a lot of powerbooks out there all with their own problems respective to their revisions.

I would suggest taking it to the Apple Store since it seems as if all preventive measures that can be done by the consumer have been done and the problem with your computer has been resolved.

rm6990  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2006, 07:49 PM

it's a Powerbook G4 1.67. 1 GB. Superdrive. 100GB HD. 128MB Video Ram.

It's relatively new.

Running 10.4.6

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 09:46 PM

Can you boot the PowerBook from an external volume that has OS X installed on it to see if does this sleep baloney with the external volume?
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules