Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you expect from the next revision of MBPs?

What do you expect from the next revision of MBPs? (Page 2)
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2006, 02:09 AM

I just want Merom and a magnetic latch. Then Ill make my purchase.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 10:21 AM

I expect the MacBook Pros to get a redesign.

Issues that need to be addressed with current MBP that could be solved with a redesign:
  • Heat
  • Limited angle display can open
  • Limited viewing angle on display
  • Easy access to internal components (i.e. hard drive)
  • Reorganization of internal components for better battery design
  • More ports: USB, Firewire 800 on 15-inch

As you can see there's a lot of things Apple needs to address and hopefully with Merom those issues can and will be addressed.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

Yea, there are definetly things that need to be addressed. They need to bring the macbook pro up to the level of the macbooks features, like the magnetic latch, and easy user upgradable hard drive and ram.

johnzoidberg
Jul 1, 2006, 01:07 PM

I personally don't want the magnetic latch found on the MacBooks to carry over. I like the existing magnetic/mechanical latch just fine on the MacBook Pros.

I had a MacBook a month ago before I returned it, and the magnetic latch worked great at first with a very crisp feel. But even over the course of a week, the strength of the magnets started to deteriorate and had that cheap magnet feeling not unlike that of old fridge magnets. It got to the point where the two magnetic areas on the lid were not engaging at the same time, where the right half of the lid would stick down first before the left part, torquing the chassis. It makes me wonder how well the lid will latch after years of repeated use.

It's still a generally untested area, and just because it's new and different, doesn't mean it should be added without thought.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 04:57 PM

The only thing I'm really waiting on is Merom. I'd still be reasonably happy even if everything else stayed the same.

However, I wouldn't say no to Apple moving the Macbook Pro video to an ATI x1800 Mobility chip or, even better, an Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 family GPU.

Lundh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2006, 02:32 AM

I think it would be a big marketing error from Apple if they decide to wait with the release of a Merom based MBP. It will be really hard for Apples marketing department to explain whay anyone should pay premium for a laptop with a Core CPU when the competition has a Core 2 based solution.

Based on that I don't think Apple can afford having their own product cycles anymore and that's why I think the next MBP will be relsease in August or at the least in September.

The only things I hope for in next revisions are Core 2, a new case design and a new internal design. The new case desing to deal with the heat issue and to make the MBP look different from a 1 GHz Powerbook. The design looks great but it's time for a change, if only evolutionary and the new internal design so that the HD becomes user replaceable.

Sure, I would not complain if it got FW800, a new graphics card with more vram and a bluetooth remote but for me the really big thing would be the bug fixes. That’s really the only thing I demand from Apple, that they release a product without all kinds of hardware deficencies. I think I have had them all except the expanding battery in my MBP. I am about to get my third MBP, my seventh Apple laptop. All six up until now has been returned to Apple because of all kind of serious problems and most of them have been in for several reparis. (The sixth are not actually retuned yet, I am waitin for a replacement which is shipped.)

I would love to end this streak and get a problem free MBP. If the next revision is nothing else then the existing MBP with a Core 2 drop-in and all problems sorted out then I'm happy.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 10:37 AM

All of the problems solved, Firewire 800, DL Superdrive, and I hope Merom is coming
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules