Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DiskWarrior performance - is this normal?

DiskWarrior performance - is this normal?
BellaBella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 10:49 PM

My Powerbook is currently running DiskWarrior from a boot CD. It seemed to have went from step 1 all the way to step 5 in less than a second! It is at "step 5: locating directory data." I've read that this could take a long time (I've only been at this step for about 30 minutes), but I noticed that the blue & white striped bar is not moving at all, and when I put the cursor over the DW window I get the spinning ball after the cursor's arrow is there for a second. When I right click the DW icon in the dock, it says "application not responding." I also hear no activity from the disk drive... Should I continue to run it or did it freeze up? Is this activity normal? I'm going to leave it running overnight, but wanted to post this now incase there is really no progression.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 11:14 PM

How much RAM do you have?

Do you see any kind of message in DiskWarrior's window that looks like "Performance inhibited by xyz"?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BellaBella  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 11:20 PM

On the BootCD there is a disk image mounted called RAM Disk, I'm guessing this is what the CD uses? It says 5.8MB available. I haven't gotten any errors. It's still stuck at the same step, at the same stop.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 11:26 PM

No, I mean how much actual, physical RAM does your Mac have?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BellaBella  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 11:30 PM

ohhhh sorry... 768mb

BellaBella  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 01:36 AM

hmm, so when I lauched console I got this message.

rm: /system/library/extensions/DiskWarriorATADriver.kext: no such file or directory
sh: line 1 kill: (294) -no such process
diskwarrior app: shell:256
diskwarrior app: invalid port name for RS, ''
diskwarrior app: preview kextension error:2655

not sure if this has to do with the QuickTime conflict? I'm on 10.3.9, diskwarrior 3.0, running from a bootable CD.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2006, 01:50 AM

The kext stuff isn't a big deal. Not sure about the other stuff.

I guess I'd try letting it run for a while and seeing what happens. Make sure you preview the disk before you hit "Replace".

BellaBella  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 12:17 PM

It progressed overnight -- but it says it could not rebuild the drive because DiskWarriorATADriver.kext was missing... the DW report stated:

"DiskWarrior has successfully built a new directory. The new directory cannot replace the original due to a Mac OS services failure."

Console also gave errors about /system/library/extensions/DiskWarriorATADriver.kext
and
/Applications/DiskWarrior.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskWarriorPreview.kext

for some reason DiskWarriorATADriver.kext doesn't exist on my BootCD or my HD.

DW said to reinstall, maybe that will help.
( Last edited by BellaBella; Aug 23, 2006 at 12:37 PM. )

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2006, 12:45 PM

Dude, you're running into problems because you're not using a regular Disk Warrior CD. If you have Disk Warrior 3 (original CD) you can update it to the latest version (3.03) via Alsoft's updater which will also help you burn a new Disk Warrior 3.03 bootable CD the legit way.

Here's the link to Alsoft's Disk Warrior 3.03 updater & bootable CD creater program:
http://www.alsoft.com/download.html
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

BellaBella  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 12:53 PM

I stated in my other post I don't have access to the original DW CD.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 12:22 AM

You should be able to get another replacement CD for a few dollars by contacting Alsoft. Tell them your situation. I got a replacement CD for a few dollars by contacting them when I bought an iBook G4 and my Disk Warrior 3 CD won't boot from it. I just provided typical customer info and Alsoft charged me a few dollars and I got the replacement CD in the mail.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules