Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > cleaning the speaker holes on my MBP: How do i do it???

cleaning the speaker holes on my MBP: How do i do it???
iCapture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 07:55 PM

Its not so much that i am a neat freak, its just i like keeping my stuff looking as new as possible.

I use iClean and a microfiber cloth on the screen and on the aluminum, and it always looks brand new when i am done, but the holes on the sides of my keyboard for my speakers are getting kinda dirty. Now, i would usually just spray it down with some compressed air, but the junk doesnt go anywhere, its stuck. So the only way to get it out would be to spray from the inside.

So my question is how do i remove the cover from my computer. I have removed the 8 little screws on the side of the laptop, but it still doesnt want to come off and im not too excited to force it open. Do i have to remove the keyboard first? are there some screws i am missing?

Thanks for the help. Here are some pictures...

I am looking to remove the green part:

The screws i removed:

The holes i want to clean:

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 09:43 PM

There are a couple of Torx screws inside the RAM compartment, underneath. Be careful not to damage anything (there are ribbon cables attached to that part of the case - also ensure that you disconnect the ribbon cable for the keyboard/trackpad inside the RAM compartment).

When placing the top-case back on, ensure that all earthing plates on the ribbon cables are able to firmly touch the top-case once it has been re-seated, just like they would have been prior to you removing it.

Do this at your own risk, since you will void your warranty if you damage anything.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules