Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Ripping DVD Movies to DVD+R

Ripping DVD Movies to DVD+R
iCapture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2007, 08:38 PM

So I have some DVD movies of mine that I would like to copy to blank DVD+R. I had a program on my PC that I liked very well, but i was wondering if someone here could recommend a quality freeware program for OS X. preferably something that is easy to understand and use. I read about a program called handbrake, is that something that would work for what i'm wanting to do?

Thanks,

iCapture

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2007, 09:10 PM

Are you referring to a data DVD, meaning that it won't play in set-top DVD players, or are you looking to rip DVD's so that they can be played anywhere?

If you just want a data DVD to hold several movies, Handbrake is the way to go.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

pixelbaker
Dec 22, 2007, 10:54 PM

MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to your hard drive, then DVD2OneX to encode to DVD-5 (single layer DVD) size. That's my method and it works great.

I'll just assume you're making completely legal backups of DVDs that you have personally purchased..... like me.

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by pixelbaker View Post
MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to your hard drive, then DVD2OneX to encode to DVD-5 (single layer DVD) size. That's my method and it works great.

I'll just assume you're making completely legal backups of DVDs that you have personally purchased..... like me.
Oh of course. Everything is completely legal. I would never think about stealing from the billion dollar movie industry.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 05:35 PM

Search this forum for "copy DVD" or "copying DVDs" or so.

There's about fifty threads covering this, and pretty much all available options are discussed there.

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Search this forum for "copy DVD" or "copying DVDs" or so.

There's about fifty threads covering this, and pretty much all available options are discussed there.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I typed in burning DVD and nothing really came up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules