Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD2One is giving me some issues (wont play in DVD player)

DVD2One is giving me some issues (wont play in DVD player)
iCapture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 07:18 PM

So im trying to back up my copy of 300. I ripped it with MacTheRipper which worked fine. And then i burned it to a DVD+R. Well, when the burning was complete the DVD starts to play on the computer. "GREAT!" i think to myself, "The DVD is ready for the TV." So i stick it into my DVD player, but then i get a red circle with a line thru it.

What the hell? I put it back into my computer, and it plays fine. The menu works, and when i hit play on the computer and the movie plays.

I dont get it, what am i doing wrong? Why does it play on my computers DVD player and not on my TV's?

Cold Warrior
Jan 6, 2008, 07:20 PM

Does your DVD player read +R?

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 07:31 PM

I think i may have found my problem. Under settings it has a drop down menu entitled 'output' and when i click on this it has 3 options. (1) DVD-R (2) DVD-R DL (3) custom.

No where on here does it say DVD+R. Could it be that this program doesnt write onto DVD+R's? If so that sucks, because i bought a pack of 50 DVD+R's.

Is this my problem???

( Last edited by iCapture; Jan 6, 2008 at 07:52 PM. )

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 07:50 PM

Which one did you use MacTheRipper or DVD2oneX? Your title said you used DVD2One but that doesn't strip out any of the anticopy and such. You then said that you ripped it with MacTheRipper which does strip out the anticopy stuff. Once you get the Source you can shrink it with DVD2OneX to fit on a single sided DVD or if you have DL DVD's you can just Rip and Burn.

Remember MTR strips/rips, while D2OX will make the film smaller to fit on a single sided dvd. Used together you should have a nice copy. I have come across many DVD's that MTR wont rip correctly though, mostly Sony DVD's.
( Last edited by silver; Jan 6, 2008 at 08:00 PM. )
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 08:47 PM

I am using MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to my computer's hard drive. From what I believe, MacTheRipper removes any anti copy stuff. Then once i rip the DVD, i open DVD2oneX and click on 'Make a full disk copy, including all menu's and extras."

I am using the Trial version. Could that be part of the problem???

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 08:59 PM

Could be but not to sure. Which versions of MTR and DVD2OneX are you using?

When using DVD2OneX I just set it to image instead of burning, then use toast to burn. Doing it that way has netted zero errors except for some Sony disc as the protection is much more robust for MTR 3.0 build 14i.
( Last edited by silver; Jan 6, 2008 at 09:08 PM. )

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 09:16 PM

i dont get it, what does setting DVD2oneX to image instad of burning do? If your using Toast instead of using DVD2OneX to burn the info onto a disk, why do you even open DVD2One?

I would use Toast, but I am really looking to use freeware. I cant imagine that there isnt any freeware out there for this kind of thing.

Can i get toast for free anywhere?

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2008, 09:28 PM

The only reason I use DVD2OneX is so I can take out the useless stuff I don't want, toast will not remove useless subs not in my language, same goes for useless audio tracks. By the way it's image not info.

Also by removing most of the junk I save space. More space for the movie equates to better picture quality.

Another thing I use DVD2OneX for is movie only copies, some films I could give a rip about the extras and menus.

Here's a free burner Burn 1.71u software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker
( Last edited by silver; Jan 6, 2008 at 09:44 PM. )

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 09:45 PM

ok, so I downloaded Toast Titanium 8 last night and got it working.

But im STILLLLLL confused.

You said that you used DVD2One to convert the file into a image file. is that correct? you said something about switching DVD2One to "Image" instead of "Burning." But when i did this and dragged the .img file into toast it said it was an unsupported format. What am i doing wrong?

PLEASE help guys, this is really stumping me. I cant seem to figure any of this out.

Once i DO figure everything out i am gonna create a thread with step by step instructions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having trouble with this process.

Thanks,

adam

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2008, 01:30 AM

After you get the image:

1. Start toast.
2. Select Copy.
3. Select Image file.
4. Drag image file made by DVD2OneX.
5. Dont forget to tick the box under options "Fit-to-DVD video compression"
6. Tick the red button to start.

Cheers

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 04:20 AM

ok. So i did everything you said. And it STILL crapped on me.

Here is what my screen looks like after i drag the .img file into Toast:

And then i get this message when i hit the red start button:

So i pressed ok, to see what would happen. It burned it (so i thought) and then i got this message when it was trying to verify the disk:

What is going on here? Why is this being sooo difficult for me?

popped the DVD into the player to see what would happen. NOTHING...it looks like barely anything has been written onto the DVD.

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 11:26 PM

*bump* for some help.

Thanks,

Adam

Cold Warrior
Jan 8, 2008, 11:32 PM

someone I know emailed me today, who has been doing the same thing.

He uses mactheripper on the DVD, then Toast to burn it as a DVD, but does not use Toast's option to compress to fit on a single-layer DVD (he's burning to dual-layer media).

iCapture  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
someone I know emailed me today, who has been doing the same thing.

He uses mactheripper on the DVD, then Toast to burn it as a DVD, but does not use Toast's option to compress to fit on a single-layer DVD (he's burning to dual-layer media).
hmm, well i will look into that, probably better quality with dual layer DVD's anyway. It sucks though, i bought a pack of 50 DVD+R's specifically for this reason though. Oh well.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 03:13 AM

Try what Cold Warrior said try unticking the box I said to tick earlier, also are you using Leopard? If so you need the 8.0.3 update as that's Leopard compatible.

One more thing, I saw you posted a link to a torrent in an other thread which isn't condoned here at MacNN so be weary of what you post in the future.

Forum Links
Forum Rules