Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD2ONE vs. Toast Titanium 8

DVD2ONE vs. Toast Titanium 8
russellhess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 08:46 AM

Could someone help me make this decision.

Problem: I want to make copies of my 3 year olds DVD's. His BOb the Builder DVD is already scratched enough not to play in our DVD player although it seems to be able to work in computer drives.

Solution: I rip the dvd's with Mac the Ripper. My issue comes after that. I used the trial of DVD2ONE on a couple discs and liked it. I even tried to take out some of the menus and ads to varying levels of success. But I think it would be easiest for me and my conscience to generally just make exact copies. DVD2One costs about $60-70.

Toast titanium 8 is in the same price range. I like the idea of being able to burn HD-DVD discs in the future, but other than that what does Toast do for me that DVD2ONE doesn't? or Vice Versa? I don't mind paying for the software I just want to get the most for my money. And keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance

ibook_steve
Jan 9, 2008, 02:28 PM

DVD2One is used to compress dual layer DVDs (greater than about 4.4 GB) so they can burned onto a single layer disk. It does this through compression or through removing things on the disk you don't want. That's all it does.

Toast has similar options for doing this, as well as other options for building disks, but I just use it for burning.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2008, 02:40 PM

Those programs do different things.

1. DVD2One will take the output of MacTheRipper and make it smaller to fit on a single layer disc, so from DVD9>DVD5. Toast can't do this.

2. If you want to make Movie only copies from the output of MacTheRipper (minus menus and such). Then again Toast cant help you there, thats a job handled well by DVD2ONE.

Think of toast as the last step in backing up DVD's.

So a good workflow that has helped me:
1. MacTheRipper (rip DVD)
2. DVD2ONE (make DVD9>DVD5 to fit on single layer DVDs, also minus stuff you don't want)
3. Toast (burn)

Also in DVD2ONE you'll notice that you can burn DVD's instead of creating a image file, I don't use the feature because it's created many failed burns for me but YMMV.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

ibook_steve
Jan 9, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
So a good workflow that has helped me:
1. MacTheRipper (rip DVD)
2. DVD2ONE (make DVD9>DVD5 to fit on single layer DVDs, also minus stuff you don't want)
3. Toast (burn)
This is my workflow as well.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 08:06 PM

If you have any access to a Linux box, you could run k9copy there - it's the equivalent to DVD2One except it is free. It is also quite simple (and is GUI based).

iCapture
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 01:38 AM

That's not allowed or welcome here and violates the TOS you agreed to when you joined. -TI
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jan 10, 2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: pirate link)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 01:53 AM

One thing that sucks about being a Mac user is having to either pirate stuff like Toast (like iCapture is suggesting doing), or else shell out money for simple little utilities like this that you may only use once or twice, but when you do need them you *really* need them, ya know? It's probably no better under Windows either.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 02:28 AM

Exactly. I never bought Toast. I only wanted to bring a few discs across the DVD region divide, and it's just not worth it.

Also, Toast looks a bit bloated with lots of unnecessary features. After all, you can burn with iDVD, and for CDs I don't need Toast anyway.

Someone has once posted a solution of converting Mac The Ripper-files into a disc image and burn it with iDVD or the SuperDrive.

Honestly: how often do you watch a DVD? How many movies are there you really want to own and not rent at a low price from Netflix?

For those few, the hassle of ripping, converting, and burning is just not worth it.

For example, I just bought Sideways. I mean, 16$. And I went to the cash register, and suddenly it was only 10$, as Borders had some sale going on.

I once bought a box of verbatim dual layer discs for my DVDs I had been planning to copy for over a year. The verbatims sleep silently in a closet and dream of the movies, that could have been burned onto them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Exactly. I never bought Toast. I only wanted to bring a few discs across the DVD region divide, and it's just not worth it.

Also, Toast looks a bit bloated with lots of unnecessary features. After all, you can burn with iDVD, and for CDs I don't need Toast anyway.

Someone has once posted a solution of converting Mac The Ripper-files into a disc image and burn it with iDVD or the SuperDrive.

Honestly: how often do you watch a DVD? How many movies are there you really want to own and not rent at a low price from Netflix?

For those few, the hassle of ripping, converting, and burning is just not worth it.

For example, I just bought Sideways. I mean, 16$. And I went to the cash register, and suddenly it was only 10$, as Borders had some sale going on.

I once bought a box of verbatim dual layer discs for my DVDs I had been planning to copy for over a year. The verbatims sleep silently in a closet and dream of the movies, that could have been burned onto them.

I don't agree with you here.... I own over 100 pirated movies, I'm just geeky enough to know how to do all of this stuff, and often enjoy the challenge.

I know it's wrong, but we all make our exceptions to honesty and do our own little things, whether it is dubbing tapes, downloading music, or pirating movies. I'm very much against downloading music because everything I like comes from the relative little guy, but the movies I watch come from the big guy. Just my lame justification.

I'll probably feel guiltier about all of this if the writers get a good deal from this writer's strike though, I believe in supporting them.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 03:05 AM

Great iCapture posted a link to a torrent . Looks like this threads gonna get locked.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2008, 09:29 AM

You can also compress ripped DVDs with Toast.

Rip with MacTheRipper.
Burn the DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS folder with Toast.
Toast will compress the DVD to fit into a single layer DVD and then burn it.

The advantages of DVD2One is that it's a lot faster than Toast in compressing and it seems in my experience to be more reliable.

Toast is good for burning audio CDs, data CD/DVDs, quick encoding to a video DVD, making easy copies of CD/DVDs, VCDs, disk images, and more with a nice, easy to use interface.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't agree with you here.... I own over 100 pirated movies, I'm just geeky enough to know how to do all of this stuff, and often enjoy the challenge.

I know it's wrong, but we all make our exceptions to honesty and do our own little things, whether it is dubbing tapes, downloading music, or pirating movies. I'm very much against downloading music because everything I like comes from the relative little guy, but the movies I watch come from the big guy. Just my lame justification.

I'll probably feel guiltier about all of this if the writers get a good deal from this writer's strike though, I believe in supporting them.
Generally speaking: (I don't want it appear that I'd be lecturing you, besson3c. It's a reply in a discussion)

Depends on the movie.

Blockbusters are not movies anyway, just soulless money makers.

But there are good movies, still on a good budget, and they feel it. ("LA Confidential" would be such a good movie, but still on a higher budget and deserves to be bought. There are investment calculations before making a movie, and if a movie has "legs", which means it earns money for a long time after its release, it favors the making of more such movies. So, if you copy movies you like, you at the same time decrease the chance to see more such movies. Blockbusters/tentpoles excluded from this - if only one could prevent them by copying them, I'd buy Toast tomorrow).

And, after all, actors, writers, and some crew, get a good deal of their income from residuals.

This is why the writer's strike (which will soon become an actor's strike) is so important: the international corporations are not interested in the movies they make through the studios they own, and they don't want to pay the creative people their dues. They just want to make money. They also try to break the unions, which would lead to disaster among ALL those working in movies, except some suits.

So, I personally would feel better if rip-instructions wouldn't be posted any longer.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Jan 10, 2008 at 03:46 PM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2008, 03:29 PM

Regarding the posted torrent:

That should be erased from the forum. Edit: should have looked first. It's already been erased.

I don't want to be the nice guy here, but one has to respect someone else's work, if one wants to respect one's own.

That's not in a law sense only. Justice is often poetic only. It's for yourself. Your own attitude. (using the general "you" here in this whole post, not addressing a specific person).

This saving money by not paying for things is more of a short time money saver. In the long run, it affects your attitude. It's always better to create more income through creativity than using one's creativity to save money.

The penny pinching creativity and the content creating creativity are, in my opinion, opposing forces and can't be joined to one force, as it's a mind attitude. Penny pinching is self-destructive behavior.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Jan 10, 2008 at 03:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules