Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PB867 internal modem problem....help!!

New PB867 internal modem problem....help!!
Mac-iek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2002, 01:05 PM

Two days ago I got my new PB Titanium, 867Mhz, 1Gb RAM, OS 10.2.1. Everything is fine except the fact I can not got connected flawlessly to Internet (dial up connection).
Couple of trials at the beginning, with automatic setup. Frequently disconnected. Message: no dial tone detected. I use the same connection for the last 2 years (Mac Cube).
I found some threads on the forums. It looks that it is known problem with internal modem of PB. Followed some tips. Yesterday night it eventually worked . Managed download some files (with low speed, modem setup to v.34).
Today have tried tried again. Nothing works in both systems (10.2.1 and 9.2). Again no dial tone.
Installed modem upgrade downloaded (via office computer) from Apple site. Nothing.
Created manually new location, played with PPP options, changed modem (v.34, 90, 92), changed connecting cable. No single connection. I am fed-up.
Shame of Apple.
All of you, who are enjoying Internet via PB and dial up, please give me hand, give me details of your modem setups.

Thanks in advance,
Mac-iek

Atef's corpse
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Baghdad, chillin' with Chirac and Schr�der over cocktails with Saddam.
Dec 19, 2002, 03:59 PM

Apple Internal 56K modem (v.92)
checked--enable error correction and compression.

If Poland's phone system is like other parts of eastern europe, then it may be that your 'net provider just sucks, or your phone lines suck.

Tone or pulse dialing?

Worry not, appeasement-loving infidels! Chirac & Schr�der defend the Butcher of Baghdad.

Mac-iek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 01:49 AM

I am in United Arab Emirates, not in Poland. Phone system here is probably one of the best in the world.

I have been using the same connection arrangements for last couple of years with no problem.

Thanks for you tip,

cambro
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 12:04 PM

The PB modems are shoddy i think.

That said, I have found that PB modems are extremely phone line sensitive. That is, when I dial the exact same server from different phone lines I get different results. For example, this morning I tried connecting from my mom's house in the country. Try as I might in v.90 or v.92 I could not get my Ghz PB to connect successfully (variety of modem error messages). I am now at my grandma's house in a bigger town. The same ISP number works fine all the time here on any modem version. So, I think that the PB modems are extra sensitive to line quality. I've also noticed that it varies day-to-day. Two days ago, I connected from my mom's house with no problem with v.90. Go figure.

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 12:45 PM

Mac iek don't worry it's not something serious. This messages appears on 2 occasions.Either you dont have the cable connected to the wall socket (I hope you didn't forgot about it..) or you have to uncheck the wait for dial tone before dialing in the modem pane.The later is the most probable and will definately solve your problem.
Post back if you have any other problem or if the problem persists.

Mac-iek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by phobos:
Mac iek don't worry it's not something serious. This messages appears on 2 occasions.Either you dont have the cable connected to the wall socket (I hope you didn't forgot about it..) or you have to uncheck the wait for dial tone before dialing in the modem pane.The later is the most probable and will definately solve your problem.
Post back if you have any other problem or if the problem persists.
Thanks Phobos,
the box is unchecked, the line in in the socket... nothing works.

Within last 4 days, I managed to be flawlessly connected only one time (settings changed to v.34). Two or three more times connections were gone after few minutes. Very frustrating...

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 02:57 AM

This isn't good.
Why don't you try to go to a friend and use his phoneline. If you can still can't be connected to the net for a long while then the problem lies within your powerbook. If you can stay connected for a long while maybe it's your phoneline that needs to be checked.
Post back for your results.

Mac-iek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2002, 03:48 AM

I have been using the same line for the last couple of years, all OK. Anyway, I am going home today (I work here, in the middle of Persian Gulf) and I will try another loctions to get better picture.
I will post back next week with results.

Thanks for your time, Phobos.
Merry Christmas!

Mac-iek

deepdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 12:23 PM

Hi Mac-iek,

I also live part time in the U.A.E. (Abu Dhabi actually), and after reading your post was a bit worried. My sister lives in the bay area and she was coming down here for christmas I asked her to pick up a GHz SD for me. She purchased this about three weeks back and only arrived here today.

Anway, I have been using it for a half day now both on and off the net a few times, I have not encountered any internet connectivity problems connecting to etisalat. Usually the modem connects at 33600 bps and doesn't drop the line at all. Connections made both from my office and home lines connect on the first try every time. I think you better check this out more thoroughly looks like you may have a faulty modem.

OTOH I seem to have the fan problem in that they are on all the time. However, I don't consider them noisy so I guess there's no problem.

btw I just moved up from a Lombard 333, and the new machine is serious fast.

Hope my experience was of help,

bye,

Deepdog
Fool Rush In Where Angels Fear To
Tread

Mac-iek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 11:44 AM

Hi Deepdog,

Many thanks. Good to know that your modem is OK. I purchased my TiBook in Abu Dhabi. Now, I am in Poland and just tried to connect first time. No success. The same symptoms. I am typing now from my Cube which works without problem. I copied all it's settings to the notebook.
Could you be so kind and tell me your settings in details? Maybe there is hidden trick?

I work on Das Island and stay in Abu Dhabi on my way to/from leave (six time a year). Maybe one day we could meet to discuss Apple's issues? :-)

Merry Christmas,

Mac-iek.

deepdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2002, 03:42 AM

Hi Mac iek

Sorry for not replying earlier but have been busy with the holiday season and work.

Regarding the settings I have used for the dialup for my TiBook, I have left the default settings as set by Apple when configuring the computer using the start up "Wizard". Nothing special at all.

However, I did notice that when I first got the laptop it was behaving a bit strangely. Not responding to mouse button clicks etc. I was intending to repartition the drive anyway so I reformatted and partitioned and then reinstalled OS X.

When I reinstalled the OS and restarted, I got the Apple registration "Wizard" and entered all my information using U.A.E. for my country settings and time zone and just used the dialup number '400 4444' for dialing etisalat. It connected automatically, and no problems since.

I have now been using the comp for 7-8 days and no problems connecting to net at all. The machine recognizes the dialtone etc. However, just in case something went wrong in your settings, here are my settings:

Modem (Under Network Control Panel)

Modem: Apple Internal 56K Modem (V.90)
Error Correction and Compression in modem: Enabled
Wait for dialtone before dialing: Enabled
Dialing: Tone
Sound: On
Notify me of incoming calls: Disabled
Country Setting: None (Blank) /* I think this means none */
Show Modem Status In Menu Bar : Enabled

TCP/IP (Under Network Control Panel)
Configure: Using PPP

PPP (Under Network Control Panel)

Account Name : /* My account name */
Password: /* My Password */
Telephone Number: 400 4444

PPP Options Button (In PPP Under Network Control Panel)

Connect Automatically When Needed: Disabled
Prompt Every 30 Mins To Maintain Connection: Disabled
Disconnect If Idle For 10 Minutes: Enabled
Disconnect When User Logs Out : Enabled
Redial If Busy : Disabled

Terminal Script: None
Send PPP Echo Packets: Enabled
Use TCP Header Compression: Enabled
Connect Using Terminal Window : Disabled
Use Verbose Logging : Disabled

Whoa now thats a lot of settings. I don't think you will find its a settings problem. I suggest you reinstall OSX and setup using U.A.E. as your location for registration. I think this may affect the modem initialization string or maybe not but its worth a try. Also, try changing the cable you are using to connect with, I have had problems with a flaky cable before. If none of this works I think you might want to return it before its too late.

If you need any more info, let me know.

Bye

Deepdog
Fool Rush In Where Angels Fear To
Tread

Mac-iek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2003, 07:12 AM

Hi Deepdog,

Many thanks for your very comprehensive replay and tips. I am going to try it today.

Regards from forozen (-10C) Warsaw.
Happy and prosperous New Year,

Maciek

Forum Links
Forum Rules