Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new powerbooks DVD region reset.

new powerbooks DVD region reset.
noiroi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 08:44 PM

as i understand the DVD-drive on the 17" PB (as well as the other new PBs) is region locked(rpc-2) , and there's no firmware patch available (yet ?....) to make it region free.
however, i did find this app -DVDReset 1.0b5 .

it's described as follows :

"...DVDReset is a utility that allows you to issue a vendor reset your region-locked (RPC-2) ATAPI drives. The vendor reset will reset your drive�s settings to factory default of �Region not set� and �5 changes left�. This software allows you to issue an undocumented and unsupported command to your DVD drive. If anything goes wrong, you may end up with a damaged drive, and you must have it replaced. Use it only as last resort......"

does this help any ? was anyone brave enough to try ?

Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by noiroi:
as i understand the DVD-drive on the 17" PB (as well as the other new PBs) is region locked(rpc-2) , and there's no firmware patch available (yet ?....) to make it region free.
however, i did find this app -DVDReset 1.0b5 .

it's described as follows :

"...DVDReset is a utility that allows you to issue a vendor reset your region-locked (RPC-2) ATAPI drives. The vendor reset will reset your drive�s settings to factory default of �Region not set� and �5 changes left�. This software allows you to issue an undocumented and unsupported command to your DVD drive. If anything goes wrong, you may end up with a damaged drive, and you must have it replaced. Use it only as last resort......"

does this help any ? was anyone brave enough to try ?
Don't reset your region code, that is a pointless, useless and bad thing to do.

Use VLC to play your DVDs, it's region free.

here is the link, it's great. From the file menu choose Open Disc, and set the options (choose DVD, and use DVD menus), just click okay, and it should work.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2003, 10:05 PM

Yes..read the docs on DVD Reset--it is intended as a last-ditch tool. I have it in my arsenal and hope I never have to use it.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 18, 2003, 11:14 PM

Sorry if I'm being a idiot here, but what is the deal with DVD regions? Why would you ever want to change it?

Only reason I'm asking is because I'm getting a 4 month-old, used 17" AlBook. Is there anything I need to do to make sure that the setting hasn't been changed from the factory setting?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
Sorry if I'm being a idiot here, but what is the deal with DVD regions? Why would you ever want to change it?

Only reason I'm asking is because I'm getting a 4 month-old, used 17" AlBook. Is there anything I need to do to make sure that the setting hasn't been changed from the factory setting?
Because then you can watch movies from other regions.

To make sure it will run your region's DVDs, just stick in a DVD from that region.

deepdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 01:26 AM

There seems tobe a lot of confusion on this subject in these forums.

Look here to understand the whole deal:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html

To sum up here's the deal:

1) Many dvd players have region free patches available. They can be found on the link given above. However the powerbook 'Superdrives' do not yet have any such firmware available.

2) If you have not patched your firmware, the mac will usually ask you before changing regions to another region if you use apple's dvd player. This sometimes does not work an the region may be changed automatically. You can change the region 5, yes only 5 times before the region is locked on your drive.

3) With the use of the above mentioned tool you are acccessing a factory feature that allows you to reset the drive to allow region resets another 5 times. However this tool can be used only four or five times after which the drive will be permanently locked.

4) VLC or any other software will play your dvd only after changing the region code of the drive to the requirement. There is NO way to override this other than using a firmware patch.

If you want to watch such DVD's on your computer either apply a patch or use an external dvd player. If you have another mac with a dvd player that has a region free patch available, you can rip the dvd using OSeX orr similar and then copy it for viewing. To burn such a dvd copy for backup purposes, I suggest you use Dvd2OneX.

Hope this helps
Fool Rush In Where Angels Fear To
Tread

gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2003, 08:47 PM

Actually, vlc does let you play any region DVD, regardless of what the drive is set to. This is because, iirc, the region system works by only supplying to key to decrypt the CSS content if the codes match. vlc cracks the code itself or has its own key or something. (This is all from memory, so I can't guarantee whether it's true or not

George

Originally posted by deepdog:
There seems tobe a lot of confusion on this subject in these forums.

Look here to understand the whole deal:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/index.html

To sum up here's the deal:

1) Many dvd players have region free patches available. They can be found on the link given above. However the powerbook 'Superdrives' do not yet have any such firmware available.

2) If you have not patched your firmware, the mac will usually ask you before changing regions to another region if you use apple's dvd player. This sometimes does not work an the region may be changed automatically. You can change the region 5, yes only 5 times before the region is locked on your drive.

3) With the use of the above mentioned tool you are acccessing a factory feature that allows you to reset the drive to allow region resets another 5 times. However this tool can be used only four or five times after which the drive will be permanently locked.

4) VLC or any other software will play your dvd only after changing the region code of the drive to the requirement. There is NO way to override this other than using a firmware patch.

If you want to watch such DVD's on your computer either apply a patch or use an external dvd player. If you have another mac with a dvd player that has a region free patch available, you can rip the dvd using OSeX orr similar and then copy it for viewing. To burn such a dvd copy for backup purposes, I suggest you use Dvd2OneX.

Hope this helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules