Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ELP- first letter always missing! Apple is censoring!!!

ELP- first letter always missing! Apple is censoring!!!
iampivot
Jan 21, 2008, 11:39 PM

"ELP - first letter always missing!" has been a long thread (35 pages!) on the apple bug discussion forums, but the thread got closed. A second thread was opened, but also closed not long after.

PLEASE HELP KEEP INFORMATION ABOUT THIS IN THE OPEN!!!

Have you suffered from the bug where your MBP keyboard silently drops the first letter you type in a window, whenever you have a USB mouse or other USB device attached to your mac? Then you're suffering from this bug. And it appears that there are a lot of users that do! This bug got much worse with leopard, and it's there even on machines with a virgin install of OS X 10.5 Leopard.

If you're suffering this bug please write about your experiences here and keep your Mac friends alert! There's a petition you can sign to get this issue fixed as well, see MacBook Pro faulty keyboard - Petition

Please also let yourself be heard at the Apple feedback form Apple - MacBook Pro - Feedback and refer them to Bug ID# 4333743 in the apple bug system.

Old apple discussion forum links;

Apple - Support - Discussions - Error
Apple - Support - Discussions - Error (google cache: Apple - Support - Discussions - The "ELP" Keyboard Problem is still ...)

This issue is already mentioned in a number of places on the web;

MacBook Pro Keyboard Issues
MacBook Pro - Ignores first keystroke - petition to make Apple fix this annoying bug - Mac-Forums.com
http://www.sunrisepage.com/macosx/macosx105.htm
"ELP! - first letter always missing!" - thread profile :: BoardReader
BabyGotMac � Does your Macbook skip the first letter when typing?
Poll: MacBook keyboard problems, anyone? - Engadget
http://forums.macnn.com/69/macbook-p...d-malfunction/

And it's even mentioned on wikipedia! MacBook Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cipher13
Jan 21, 2008, 11:40 PM

Apple do this all the time, and always have. It's best not to bother posting on their discussion boards.

sgginc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 07:16 PM

pdf of locked thread:

http://www.petergabriel.dk/lockedthread.pdf

I will need to reveal the issue when selling and buyers will avoid like the plague.

CR had never heard of the issue ...
As well as the front line tech ...
First time he has heard of it ...

I urge all afflicted with this to talk to Customer Relations so they can see how widespread this is.

ken

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 12:47 AM

I have this problem too.

Sometimes when entering a text field, if I don't wait at least two seconds (Why should I? It has focus, it should be typable!) my first character gets ignored.

I have it happen in Spotlight, in the Help search, in Safari's Google box, pretty much everywhere.

Except that I've had it happening since I got my MacBook. With 10.4 on it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
"ELP - first letter always missing!" has been a long thread (35 pages!) on the apple bug discussion forums, but the thread got closed. A second thread was opened, but also closed not long after.
Its not censorship when the forum is being hosted by Apple. They have their rules on what can and cannot be posted. They have every right to lock/delete threads.

I've not been over to the apple discussion forums for ages because of their heavy handedness. I recommend you find a forum like here to discuss your issues.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2008, 02:49 PM

Its not censorship when the forum is being hosted by Apple. They have their rules on what can and cannot be posted. They have every right to lock/delete threads.

I've not been over to the apple discussion forums for ages because of their heavy handedness. I recommend you find a forum like here to discuss your issues.
The problem with that is Apple doesn't necessarily care much what is posted on forums other than their own. The purpose of forums like this is to seek help from others, not Apple.

It's funny I'd find this thread arbitrarily today, because I found that exact thread on Apple's forums last night while looking for any issues with the MacBook. Now I'm a bit wary of buying a MacBook this coming Friday. I was going to pick one of those and an iMac up, but I'm having second thoughts now.

I'm fairly certain, however, it can be fixed via software since most people post that the general keyboard issues came when they upgraded to Leopard.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 07:54 PM

jersey
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 08:36 PM

Finally ...... this fixed the problem. No more missing letters.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 03:51 AM

Yeah, it's fixed now. Unfortunately in the process of fixing that bug they broke closed-lid mode.

When I wake my MBP in closed-lid mode it shows the desktop picture on the external screen and then goes right back to sleep. If I then wake it again and, the same thing will happen all over again. Resetting PRAM didn't help.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 20, 2008 at 04:15 AM. )

P
Feb 20, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
The problem with that is Apple doesn't necessarily care much what is posted on forums other than their own. The purpose of forums like this is to seek help from others, not Apple.
If you want Apple to care, send feedback using the Mac OS X feedback page. Apple used to care about what was said on their forums, back in the OS 8-9 days - they would even send out Christmas presents to faithful posters, I have an Apple cap I got one year. It's sad to see how far they have fallen.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2008, 08:39 PM

Things seem better. I'm still not happy with this keyboard, although it's probably my fault for not being a proper typist. At least I don't always miss the first letter of my password now.

iampivot  (op)
Feb 20, 2008, 08:47 PM

I still find that I don't get keys registered unless the key has been hit hard and all the way down. So this is sort of a 50% fix for me.

Maybe I should just go back to Linux, then I'd get the home/end pgup/pgdn keys back again..

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 02:39 AM

fn-left/fn-right and fn-up/fn-down

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2008, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
I still find that I don't get keys registered unless the key has been hit hard and all the way down. So this is sort of a 50% fix for me.
Some keys seem more prone to this than others, although that's why I thought it might be my fault. It's keys on the right and I noticed last night that I seem to either clip/brush them but not push them properly.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 01:56 PM

My MacBook (a new 2.2GHz black Core 2 Duo) never had the keyboard missing-letter issue to begin with, but the firmware installed OK and every thing's (still) fine.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 05:08 PM

This did not fix my problem. My keyboard still falls asleep when it goes unused for short periods of time.

Man.. How can they get a keyboard wrong? Next to the mouse it's the most basic piece of computer hardware. Push a key, it sends the press to the keyboard. How can it go to sleep? This is what Apple said. They said the keyboard sleeps so it wakes up late to miss the first key. How? I dunno. Thing is I've had this happening since I got my MacBook last June with Tiger on it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
This did not fix my problem. My keyboard still falls asleep when it goes unused for short periods of time.

Man.. How can they get a keyboard wrong? Next to the mouse it's the most basic piece of computer hardware. Push a key, it sends the press to the keyboard. How can it go to sleep? This is what Apple said. They said the keyboard sleeps so it wakes up late to miss the first key. How? I dunno. Thing is I've had this happening since I got my MacBook last June with Tiger on it.
Not to ask a stupid question, but did you reboot after the firmware update? It didn't prompt me to reboot after installing, but I suspect the firmware is only loaded at boot.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 12:16 AM

Yes..

Okay, here's how it went.

The night the update showed up, I installed. Then shut down to go to bed. As it was shutting down it launched the "Firmware updater" app like it was supposed to then shut down.

The next day the update showed up again. I downloaded and installed it AGAIN and rebooted. The problem kept going so I went into Utilities and manually launched the updater like some people have suggested.

It has now been run three times. And hasn't fixed it. Also, it is no longer showing up in Software Update so apparently the computer thinks it's been updated.

But I still lose the first keystroke more than it should happen. It only and has only ever happened in single line text boxes though. i.e. a box like this one that I am typing a large chunk of text in, it won't do it. Never has. But a smaller single line box like a Search box will do it. (Oddly enough, I can't recall it doing it in a box like a username box or a thread title box.) Especially when I press Command+F in Safari and start typing. I always lose the first key, even though the keyboard accepted the Command+F. Why would it ignore the third key, which just happens to be the first one entered into the box?

And interestingly enough, I just tested it. Command+F then immediately type a word to find. It lost the first letter in "hello". (Or whatever the heck you want to type) Press Escape to get rid of it and start again, Command+F, type "hello", this time it takes the h. It only happens like the first time a box is activated in a while. But once it's warmed up it seems to be fine... for a little while, until the box gets bored and goes to sleep. Ugh.

So basically it will happen, then once it's happened it's fixed for a little while. Then happens again after a sufficient amount of idle time has passed.

Seems to be mainly search boxes. Google Search in Safari, Help in Safari, Spotlight, the Help menu...

berdinkerdickle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2008, 03:10 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules