Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Palm sync fix - IT WORKS!!!!

Palm sync fix - IT WORKS!!!!
Philippbt
Apr 8, 2000, 11:22 AM

To all fellow sufferers, this is the fix for hotsyncing the Palm with OS 9.0x:

Remove the Backup conduit from the conduits folder inside your palm folder.

That's it. No Apple Talk stuff, no File sharing stuff, no speed stuff. Just hotsync and smile.

Please note: at the end you will receive an error message that some of your data was not backed up. Simply ignore it. If you need to run the backup conduit, use IR.

I suspect that those users who reported that they experienced no problems with hotsyncing via USB may use the Palm as it came, with no extra software installed (they are missing out big time...).

My Palm lost its connection during establishing the setup of my handheld. With loads of apps installed, the latter can take some time (the "freeze" period) during which the connection drops without further notice or warning. Removing the backup conduit bypasses this process and propells the palm right into the sync mode. Voila.
It's not a solution but a nice workaround.

Please post whether it works for you.

P.S.: Please also increase the memory allocation for the hotsync & conduit managers inside your Palm folder.

[This message has been edited by Philippbt (edited 04-10-2000).]

Russkle
Apr 8, 2000, 12:21 PM

OR, just install USB 1.4.1 from apple's web site.... fixed my problems.

TCG
Apr 8, 2000, 01:18 PM

This worked great for me! I thought I'd tried everything, but this solved it. Thanks!

Originally posted by Philippbt:
To all fellow sufferers, this is the fix for hotsyncing the Palm with OS 9.0x:

Remove the Backup conduit from the conduits folder inside your palm folder.

That's it. No Apple Talk stuff, no File sharing stuff, no speed stuff. Just hotsync and smile.

Please note: at the end you will receive an error message that some of your data was not backed up. Simply ignore it. If you need to run the backup conduit, use IR.

I suspect that those users who reported that they experienced no problems with hotsyncing via USB may use the Palm as it came, with no extra software installed (they are missing out big time...).

My Palm lost its connection during establishing the setup of my handheld. With loads of apps installed, the latter can take some time (the "freeze" period) during which the connection drops without further notice or warning. Removing the backup conduit bypasses this process and propells the palm right into the sync mode. Voila.
It's not a solution but a nice workaround.

Please post whether it works for you.

[This message has been edited by Philippbt (edited 04-08-2000).]

Philippbt
Apr 8, 2000, 04:15 PM

To Ruskle: The USB 1.4.1 didn't do it for me. Other users' feedback to my solution suggests that the backup conduit is actually the culprit.

Philippbt
Apr 8, 2000, 07:53 PM

I've just had another positive response from a friend. However, we are all on Firewire Powerbooks. So, if you are working on an older machine and have just updated your system to 9.0.4, please try it and post whether it works on your machine as well (as it should).

mick41
Apr 8, 2000, 11:18 PM

My Palm V was Hot Syching fine with my DV iMac even after 9.04 upgrade until I installed Jack Flash. Then when I tried to Hot Synch it recognized the user but shut down right after that. I tried removing all of the items loaded into Flash memory but that didnt work. When I removed the backup conduit it synched fine. I can use Palm Buddy for back up but it is a real pain. Is anyone else using Jack Flash and having similar problems. I really like the program as it opens up about 1/2 meg of memory.

squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2000, 12:19 PM

HELP! Tried your fix, but it isn't working for me.

I removed the backup conduit from the Conduits folder and although the HotSync Manager was able to take the process further, an examination of my verbose log file shows that all this solution did is successfully load all of the conduits but never synced any data.
-------

Correction: Actually, it is syncing. It does work, I just get an error message that nothing was backed up because of the the missing backup conduit.

[This message has been edited by squareman (edited 04-25-2000).]

Philippbt
Apr 10, 2000, 03:05 PM

I've just double-checked - yes it syncs all my data (i.e. all those with own conduit, including AvantGo). Palm has posted a message in the meantime, stating that it is a "timeout" issue. That explains why the backup conduit interrupts the process (it is the most timeconsuming). Others may experience trouble with AvantGo (although it works for me - but that is on a Pismo 500 MHz).
If anyone comes across a better solution please let us know. This one at least works for most people (unfortunately not all - it seems to depend on the specs of your machine).

squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2000, 04:26 PM

Okay, I double-checked mine again. Yes, it is actually syncing! Somewhat.

There are some anomalies, like one address entry looking different between the Palm and the desktop. Syncing wasn't updating either entry. But if I edit in one spot, it shows up twice in the other (where I have to delete one). Syncing one more time makes the info match between the two.

It's probably because I went from a Palm V to a Handspring Visor Deluxe back to a Palm V while transporting around my user data files all along. That probably created the problem, but I think the lack of the backup conduit has something to do with not double-checking the data. I'll figure it out eventually - or Palm will update the software. At least I can put in a new entry and know that it's transferring over.

Thanks for the tip.

jpompili
Apr 11, 2000, 10:31 PM

I've tried erverything suggested here and nothing worked. I even reinstalled OS 9and it still wouldn't work. On a hunch I did a reset on the Palm and voila!

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2000, 10:58 PM

Same here, all I had to do was reset my handheld.

Philippbt
Apr 12, 2000, 10:58 AM

Just had this official reply from Apple:

Apple Reply:

In Mac OS 9.0.2, Mac OS 9.0.3 and Mac OS 9.0.4, Macintosh conduits that
relied on a HotSync function during prolonged synchronizations would often
fail. Most notably,the Meeting Maker and Microsoft Outlook Express conduits
are failing, but not in all circumstances.

In Palm's continued effort to offer the best user experience for Macintosh
users, Palm is currently testing a "patch" to improve HotSync operations
with the latest Mac OS 9.0.4 release. The "patch" will be posted soon on
Palm's website (www.palm.com). Stay tuned for a direct link to download the
update.

Damon
Apple Support Discussions

cfoster611
Apr 12, 2000, 04:27 PM

I have a PowerBook G3 with a MacAlly USB card, and my Visor is acting really strange. When I first started using the USB card, my Syncs worked really well (AvantGo typicly syncs its self 3 times before it finishs). But, now, it seems like I get only 1 sync per resart or wakeup before the Visor stops connecting to the computer. I am runing 9.0.4, and the latest Apple drivers for Cardbus and don't have processor c. on. What could be causing my bus to drop out?
The funny thing is, I think my intire bus is really droping out. When I plug a USB keyboard (a rev. a iMac one) after that first sync, it dosn't hot plug like it should. The Apple system profiler hasn't been very helpful, saying I have a USB bus but there are no devices connected to it, even though I have a USB keyboard and mouse. Should have bought the serial connector...
Chris

Mr. Joneser
Apr 13, 2000, 10:21 PM

I have verified on my PowerBook 400 FireWire that by disabling the Backup Conduit I can now sync again with System 9.0.4 & a Palm IIIc. Thank you so much for the quick fix until Palm can blow us away with an update. It seems quite silly that Palm is so Mac friendly but we need to buy adapters and wait for them to upgrade their software. Thanks a lot Palm.

Philippbt
Apr 20, 2000, 05:14 AM

For a potentially good and novel fix look at
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000696.html
--------------------
DON'T do it. Just downloaded 3.4 MB to retrieve the 24k SerialShimLib 1.4.1.f - it doesn't change a thing. Still interrupts hotsync! Sorry folks :-(

[This message has been edited by Philippbt (edited 04-20-2000).]

ml12119
Apr 25, 2000, 02:02 PM

I tryed Philbbtt (sp?) fix and it worked for me on am iMac with PalmVII. I had contacted Palm several times with lame "fixes" like remove all 3rd party software (not!) and override time out in hotsync on Palm. None of theirs worked THIS did! Thanks. I also replyed to PAlm support with a link to this fix, maybe they will hire you Philbbtt

squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2000, 09:40 PM

Handspring has a fix in their support area. One needs a Visor serial number to access the download (I have both a Visor and a Palm - big geek!).

For my Palm V, I installed just the hotsync software with a custom install and it worked (after a restart and resetting the "port" to my keyspan adapter instead of Handspring USB).

I imagine the one palm is still working on can't be far behind.

[This message has been edited by squareman (edited 04-25-2000).]

squareman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2000, 06:15 PM

Palm has the update now!
http://www.palm.com/support/macintosh/

Forum Links
Forum Rules