Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > More BBX madness [warning: bandwidth heavy]

More BBX madness [warning: bandwidth heavy] (Page 2)
rpeterclark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 04:51 PM

Great post Billy! It's an insightful read for any GUI enthusiast that has an interest in the development process. Too bad some of these guys are obviously bitter from lack of BBX on their own desktops.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2005, 05:32 PM

Actually, from my observations (yes... I actually visit quite frequently the windows theme sites too... started out there theming windows and all ) Windows users are MUCH more receptive now'day to mac users and our perty themes... Especially because most of them would rather spend their time porting the theme than whining about how it isn't on windows yet. Practically every popular mac theme has been ported to windows, including Aqua. Granted, most windows users have less scruples when it comes to copyrights (sorry to generalize on this, but it is a real observation.)
Oh, but it could be used as a reference for something on mac. You see, most of the themes that come out lack _inspiration_! Most "themes" today are just GUITweaks. Unfortunately, our community is starting to cannibalize itself...We need to relax on what is posted in here (granted, keeping it to GUI) allowing for new blood, genes, inspiration, or what ever it takes to get general theme users to pick up a copy of Themepark and Photoshop to give it a go...

Frankly, this brings me to another point... GUITweak is going to be the death of mac themes in my opinion. While hiding in the guise of "theme freshness" It allows for a stagnation in our community... No matter what you add to your MacNCheese... it is still MacNCheese

We need some real competition for SS. ThemePark needs more refinement and more thinking to make it easier for people to realize their GUI dreams. I know that there has been a LOT of great work done this far, but as a community we need to stress to people like Jason (Smeger) and companies like Unsanity and Conundrum to create Mac Simple apps that break it all down to nuts and bolts.

OK, back to the off-topic
Free it up... invite in the "dark side." Feeeeel its paaaaahhwaaaah *Sidious Cackle*

R

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
G0Ducks: I wonder if one of the Mac themers went over to the Windows forum and showed all the great designs and GUI goodies BUT that these things would only be available on the Mac. I would think that those Windows users would react the same way. Again, the argument here is not that Billy B. is not talented, on the contrary. What I'm saying is that that he's showing work which cannot be used on this platform. Envious, you bet. Elitist, hardly.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2005, 06:23 PM

GODucks I agree with you in some ways. I started out on windows, and I always customized it, I tried everything on it, skins for all types of things, and that is how I came to know more about mac. It was a post on egadget about how to get your pc to look like a mac I'm sure most of you feel it is lame, but it got me to convert to Mac...it made me want to buy a mac actually then later I realized the functionality was great as well, and i'm really enjoying it. Only 4 monthes new to mac....but I'm learning. Lots of people on the windows sites I frequented loved mac's many of them also bought macs just as I did, all because of windows users porting themes with Macintosh aspects. So you see some people are inspired and others are not. People shouldn't judge bbx or what he is doing, he isnt trying to get you over to use windows, or making you feel bad for not having this skin on mac, maybe one day we will have something like this on mac who knows. But one thing GODucks, is that themers do spend LOTS OF TIME on their themes, maybe some of them seem like minor tweaks but others spend a tremendous amount of time on their themes, and I think more will come in the future, you know lots of times we hurt themers feelings or put them down or take them for granted then they disappear, they work hard and get no profits...I mean its something they do in their spare time so they need to be appreciated in my humble opinon. I know some of you hate this thread and what is being protrayed here but then why do you keep clicking it? If you don't like it you should report it to the moderator and they will help you but insulting people is not a nice thing to do. Also this shouldnt be a war of windows versus mac, this isn't what BBX was implying at all yet that is what it comes down to, that really is too sad....maybe if this was made for mac many people would like it? Im sure people would so calling it ugly or not worthy of mac just isn't right you have to all understand that everyone has their own tastes i'm sure this will be appreciated by many. I just don't understand the insulting things being said, maybe I don't know what history you all have or why you are putting down BBX...but cant we all be nice and civil to eachother? since at the end of the day we obviously all appreciate Mac's and use them?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by sweetymac
...People shouldn't judge bbx or what he is doing, he isnt trying to get you over to use windows, or making you feel bad for not having this skin on mac, maybe one day we will have something like this on mac who knows...I just don't understand the insulting things being said, maybe I don't know what history you all have or why you are putting down BBX...but cant we all be nice and civil to eachother? since at the end of the day we obviously all appreciate Mac's and use them?
Point well taken. My mom taught me to be nice and I haven't been. So I'm learning to be nice and civil. Peace.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 07:48 PM

BBX - very nice work!
i'm glad you posted that here. it's great to see the work that you've been doing - it is a real inspiration.

i also loved seeing the animations! very very slick... thanks for posting them - i don't think there's
any other way i'd be able to see them (seeing as i only have a Mac).

keep up the great work.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
Translation: BBX is synonymous with failure or giving up in the mac theming world.
You know, I would have loved to have come across a thread like this when I was starting out or first started taking an interest in professional GUI work - regardless of the platform it was ultimately destined for. Until now I've been nice about it, but you insist on coming back with these meaningless little stabs like 'the animations are aliased in WMP'... Tell me, WTF does that have to do with the concepts or the workflow or the design? Nothing. And as if that weren't enough, you feel as if you need to finish off with this weak slap re: Omega.

Aristotles, with all the wonderful 5hit that arrogant no-talent weasels like yourself have delighted in heaping on me since I missed that initial Omega release (for reasons totally beyond my control, for which I've apologized profusely already and have explained in detail again and again and again), who could blame me for losing any interest I ever had in pouring countless hours of blood sweat and tears into a Mac theme? For every 10 people I'd love to share the fruits of my effort and imagination with, there's 1 non-stop mouthy self-appointed official 5hithead representative like yourself that makes me want to forget the whole thing.

You my friend have a problem with me for some twisted reason - this is all just way too personal to you. I don't know why (well, your website offers a clue), but really, take my advice - you're being an idiot. Get a life, learn your facts/history/place, and for everybody's sake - STFU already. Please.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Sep 6, 2005 at 01:25 AM. )

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by mugget
BBX - very nice work!
i'm glad you posted that here. it's great to see the work that you've been doing - it is a real inspiration.

i also loved seeing the animations! very very slick... thanks for posting them - i don't think there's
any other way i'd be able to see them (seeing as i only have a Mac).

keep up the great work.
Thank you! I will. You're welcome

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by rpeterclark
Great post Billy! It's an insightful read for any GUI enthusiast that has an interest in the development process. Too bad some of these guys are obviously bitter from lack of BBX on their own desktops.
Thank you sir - much respect as always

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by sweetymac
Also this shouldnt be a war of windows versus mac, this isn't what BBX was implying at all yet that is what it comes down to, that really is too sad....maybe if this was made for mac many people would like it? Im sure people would so calling it ugly or not worthy of mac just isn't right you have to all understand that everyone has their own tastes i'm sure this will be appreciated by many. I just don't understand the insulting things being said, maybe I don't know what history you all have or why you are putting down BBX...but cant we all be nice and civil to eachother? since at the end of the day we obviously all appreciate Mac's and use them?
Sorry Sweety, but you'll need to develop a thicker skin if you're going to hang out at MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization. It used to actually be a place where like-minded people could get excited about all things GUI related and exchange a few ideas, believe it or not. Now it's just devolved into the stupidity you witness here it seems. Sad really.

MMICONS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 05:32 AM

Hey BBX, Long time I seen or heard from you =)

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed seeing your new stuff..and as allways im BLOWN AWAY!...
Damm, I need to get my act together..and start pushing those ICON & GUI pixels around ones more =)

But as you, Im still waiting on SS 2.5 - 3.0 ? ..

Just wanted to say hi, hope life is good in Canada..?

Ps. What is up with this forum at MACNN ..People are just plain ****** Idiots..allways talking trash..

Ishan Bhattacharya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 08:13 PM

As a long-time lurker and Mac theme user (don't have the talent to make 'em), I really enjoyed your post, BBX. Offers insight into the creative process–and the major hassles involved.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by bbxstudio
You know, I would have loved to have come across a thread like this when I was starting out or first started taking an interest in professional GUI work - regardless of the platform it was ultimately destined for. Until now I've been nice about it, but you insist on coming back with these meaningless little stabs like 'the animations are aliased in WMP'... Tell me, WTF does that have to do with the concepts or the workflow or the design? Nothing. And as if that weren't enough, you feel as if you need to finish off with this weak slap re: Omega.

Aristotles, with all the wonderful 5hit that arrogant no-talent weasels like yourself have delighted in heaping on me since I missed that initial Omega release (for reasons totally beyond my control, for which I've apologized profusely already and have explained in detail again and again and again), who could blame me for losing any interest I ever had in pouring countless hours of blood sweat and tears into a Mac theme? For every 10 people I'd love to share the fruits of my effort and imagination with, there's 1 non-stop mouthy self-appointed official 5hithead representative like yourself that makes me want to forget the whole thing.

You my friend have a problem with me for some twisted reason - this is all just way too personal to you. I don't know why (well, your website offers a clue), but really, take my advice - you're being an idiot. Get a life, learn your facts/history/place, and for everybody's sake - STFU already. Please.
Funny that you should admonish others to have a thicker skin and yet you feel it necessary to come here and insult self-professed amateurs who create icons/themes/wallpapers etc.. when someone dares to not worship you as the GUI "god" you think you are.

If you are a paid professional artist, I suggest that you develop a thicker skin and learn to conduct yourself in a professional manner. To put it plainly, grow up.

You have more than proven my point about primadona themers who feel we should all worship you regardless of whether you are contributing our community or not. You just could not leave things alone could you? You not only had to bring you pompous attitude into the Omega thread but you felt it necessary to create another thread to show off your work and then proceed to insult amateurs such as myself. Bravo.

I work on developing UI's, writing code, conducting UAT meetings with users and writing requirements/documentation 40+ hours a week and then devote some of my free time to create things that I enjoy creating and want to share with the community. Amateurs like myself do it for the love of it and not for money or to seek praise and attention. I don't care if you think my stuff is crap. I happen to think your work looks nice but is impractical and grandiose. Your talent is not the issue here but rather your attitude.

Why did you create this thread? To seek praise? To feed your ego? To take a jab at the mac theming community? To rip us apart? All of the above?

I'm sure neowin is full of people willing to stroke your ego and kiss your ass.

William, the difference between people like you and me is that I do not need the approval of other people or need praise heaped upon me and I will release my works as long as I enjoy creating them.

Do you act this way in person when dealing with potential clients? Why do you feel posting on the internet gives you license to behave like an ass?

PS. I had already asked a mod to close this thread a couple days ago but apparently it is somehow "on topic".
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

york28
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 05:19 AM

BBX: While you may have taken the time to mention in the topic title that there were large images in the thread, the ones that you did post are stupidly large. Very nice work and all, but I see no reason that they needed to be so big. Scaling them so that I could see them in their entirety on a 1280x1024 screen isn't such a ridiculous request. Having viewed the work I also don't think much would have been lost if they had been posted at half their current size.

And this is a Mac GUI forum. You've had several posts like this one before. Keep it in the graphic design forum please, this place is for Mac GUI stuff, not WMP themes.

If Picasso was brought back from the grave and started posting about some new work in this forum, I'd say the same thing.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 05:21 AM

I admit I don't have thick skin, i'm just too sweet and sensitive. I don't really understand what omega is, i'm sorry...some of you keep repeating it. When I seen the thread personally I did not see it as someone bragging about their work....but I see everyone has their own opinions., and maybe this is how it came across to you.

Well I wish I could have talent to create something unfortunately I have no skills there, maybe one day I will learn and be able to contribute, but I do appreciate what all of you do - people who create skins, themes, icons, wallpapers all of your time and effort I fully appreciate...without it i'd be lost and no customization would happen for me. It is just amazing the abudant number of things available, and I know lots of you don't get proper appreciation or are taken for granted....thats the sad part, and why lots of themers go missing.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
... more if the same ...
I'm really starting to get tired of this personal vendetta kid. If you have a problem, find another thread to haunt. You goad me into defending myself and the say 'see I told you he was an assh*le'... The reason the mods haven't taken down the thread is because it is on-topic - the topic here is GUI modification, and although they fall within the boundaries of discussion, the name of the forum is GUI customization, not Mac OSX Themes.

I state clearly in the introductory text why I started this thread. Not to insult/admonish/prod anybody, but to share some insight and things that might be of interest. Many (in fact most) members find this post to have had appreciable value. Plainly I'm not here to be worshipped - with the way I get treated around here that's obviously the last thing I expected.

I also feel I've conducted myself in a mature and professional manner throughout (well, with those who deserve the effort). The only person strutting around in here like a pompous ass while slinging labels and accusations around is [i]you.[/] Where you get off questioning the legitimacy of my (or anybody else's) post or right to contribute is beyond me. When nobody listened to your demented demands for justice, you had to get insulting. My apologies for implying the reason might be jealousy - but for the life of me I can't figure out what the hell else it could be.

You my friend are the one with problem... you've obviously got one hell of a nasty chip on your shoulders. So let it go, guys like you kill all the fun in these forums... leave the forum management to the mods - they're neither blind nor stupid.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Sep 7, 2005 at 10:12 AM. )

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by york28
BBX: While you may have taken the time to mention in the topic title that there were large images in the thread, the ones that you did post are stupidly large. Very nice work and all, but I see no reason that they needed to be so big. Scaling them so that I could see them in their entirety on a 1280x1024 screen isn't such a ridiculous request. Having viewed the work I also don't think much would have been lost if they had been posted at half their current size.
I already apologized for this and I'll fix it when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by york28
And this is a Mac GUI forum. You've had several posts like this one before. Keep it in the graphic design forum please, this place is for Mac GUI stuff, not WMP themes.
The name of the forum is GUI customization. I was one of those who argued for its creation. Please read the post and please, don't tell me what do - thanks.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 09:53 AM

BBX- first off, thank you for posting this thread- it is very interesting seeing how you developed what you hvae done, and if people wouldnt have their eyes clouded over so much with anger/jealousy/whatever else, they might actually be able to learn something from it.

So let it go, guys like you kill all the fun in these forums...
And I thought I would just correct you on this one.. they already have killed all the fun in these forums. This place, long ago, was a great place to come for theme info, but several of the regulars around here take themselves way too seriously, and are more than willing to dish it out on anyone and everyone else. I've been coming around here less and less over the last year, and seeing this thread, had pretty much sealed the deal for me- I'll find my info elsewhere.

Just a tip- several of the people here, obviously dont appreciate what you do, and will crap all over you no matter what you post. Why not just blog this stuff on your own site- people know where to find you. I know I would check in at your site from time to time, to see if you had posted anything new. Probably not optimal, but I'd think it would be better than this. Just my two cents.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1
BBX- first off, thank you for posting this thread- it is very interesting seeing how you developed what you hvae done, and if people wouldnt have their eyes clouded over so much with anger/jealousy/whatever else, they might actually be able to learn something from it.

And I thought I would just correct you on this one.. they already have killed all the fun in these forums. This place, long ago, was a great place to come for theme info, but several of the regulars around here take themselves way too seriously, and are more than willing to dish it out on anyone and everyone else. I've been coming around here less and less over the last year, and seeing this thread, had pretty much sealed the deal for me- I'll find my info elsewhere.

Just a tip- several of the people here, obviously dont appreciate what you do, and will crap all over you no matter what you post. Why not just blog this stuff on your own site- people know where to find you. I know I would check in at your site from time to time, to see if you had posted anything new. Probably not optimal, but I'd think it would be better than this. Just my two cents.
Now there's some constructive criticism I fear you're right about this place - the good vibes and reason for being seem to have corroded away. I've long considered setting up a blog - can anybody recommend some simple-to-use Blog software for the Mac? I quite like the look/layout of sites like Engadget.

esXXI
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 10:28 AM

Movable Type is great - and a single author blog can use their free license. Plus it's got plenty of plugins and junk. Nice suggestion there MarkLT1.

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 10:34 AM

Hmmm, bbx and mmicons in one thread - welcome back guys!!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 01:07 PM

can anybody recommend some simple-to-use Blog software for the Mac?.
I highly recommend WordPress. It's VERY easy to set up, unlike MT which also quite nice, but takes a little more work.

With either of those blog systems, you can use ecto to post with. It's a fantastic (and cheap) blogging app that works with several blog systems and allows a more customizable blog without "coding" your brains out. In short, it allows you to focus on content, rather than entering HTML code to format your posts.

It also allows you to keep a local backup copy on your computer of all your posts. You can check out some screenshots on the Web site, but I encourage all bloggers I come across to give it a run-through with the demo.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

bmzollinhofer
Sep 7, 2005, 05:55 PM

I use TextPattern which works well for me. Now if I could only get it to write for me, that would be perfect!
Click Away
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 08:18 PM

Fantastic work BBX, I have always wondered how the best of the best do their work. Would love to see more of these articles (though I am sure you are far too busy to do more). Anways thanks for the read... really great stuff...

)\/(aelstrom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 02:17 AM

I very much admire your work bbx, and I have a rather good idea as to what goes into such a hge undertakeing.

I would suggest Wordpress, as it's very easy to use/set up, and it is easy to modify.

-)\/(

ps, I am VERY glad you posted here - the most obnoxious/annoying people are always the loudest, and they seem to be everywhere. It's like an invasion.

<edit> if you drag the widget out of the dash, and THEN press F12, before you release it, you should be able to deposit it onto the desktop, and it will stay there as long as it is not selected the next time you bring up the dash.</edit>
I've twice been conquered-
Three times more,
Never again shall humanity purge me,
And never the Pfhor.

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 05:39 AM

okay - this is O/T - but hey - BBX asked so i've gotta answer the man.

blogging software? i'd very highly recommend WordPress. i use it on my site (link in sig) and it was very easy to setup - easy to make posts and keep things organized - easy to backup. and the default them (Kubrick) isn't bad either. but of course with any software you'd have to customize the CSS to your liking...

btw - i've never used other blogging software. just thought i'd mention how i love WordPress. i couldn't do enough to repay the WP community.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2005, 11:52 AM

Nobody has a personal vendetta against you. Get a grip. I don't like being called a ********. Funny that.

William, you have to learn to live in an egalitarian society as this is after all the 21st century. You, as a fellow Canadian should understand that we do not generally "worship" people.

If you treat others with respect, you will receive the same in kind. The "work" of themers like swiz and max is appreciated by people like me but you will not see me worshipping anyone or paying attention to their "status" in the community.

Stop behaving like a jerk and I will treat you with respect. It really is that simple. Respect is earned, not bestowed.

Mods, Close this thread already.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 12:59 PM

Hi Aristotles...where does the worshipping come in here? I don't think people are worshipping bbx, and as far as I can read into this thread, I don't think he is asking you to worship him. Ofcourse you can appreciate his work, but it is all about personal taste, maybe you like something different than what he is showing or you feel it is not necessary for him to show. You ofcourse have every right to dislike it or have your own opinion on it. Sometimes people do pay a lot of compliments to themers, but that is not worshipping, they just praise their work because themers usually don't get paid. They spend so much time designing things but no money so I would praise a person who makes themes because they do it out of kindness I mean if they didn't make the themes I wouldnt get to have any and that would be no good. I think if they do a good job and someone appreciates it they deserve credit? I mean having people enjoy their work inspires them to do more. If nobody praised their work or ever said hey good job, they wouldnt really have reasons to release their themes because it would seem nobody cared. I don't think anyone will remove this thread, I've seen a moderator post this link to a different mac forum and they are also discussing it, views from both sides so I guess it interests people otherwise it would not be here still.

MMICONS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
Hmmm, bbx and mmicons in one thread - welcome back guys!!

Well, Im not back...=)
I just came by, one day ..

I love to make a kickass theme for mac os..but there are still no way for me to make the cahnges i need for my themes..like bbx and omega ..im waiting for SS 3.0..? =)

Right now all themes kinda look a like, and my themes will not make a difference..
I love get started, ..but have to wait like the rest ..

Ps. Im still hoping to hook up with the Pixelwiz, and Kick out some Wicked gui stuff..=)
but we have to wait and see that the future will bring..

Makki
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 07:40 AM

MMICONS that is way this forum board is nowadays thats why i hang at macthemes it is more positive gui going on there.

@sweetymac w00h00 you r in Canada to eh? i am in Ontario

Recto Bold
Sep 12, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MMICONS
Well, Im not back...=)
I just came by, one day ..

I love to make a kickass theme for mac os..but there are still no way for me to make the cahnges i need for my themes..like bbx and omega ..im waiting for SS 3.0..? =)

Right now all themes kinda look a like, and my themes will not make a difference..
I love get started, ..but have to wait like the rest ..

Ps. Im still hoping to hook up with the Pixelwiz, and Kick out some Wicked gui stuff..=)
but we have to wait and see that the future will bring..
I seem to remember that in past interviews/postings, SS 2.0 was the one that was supposed to provide the stuff that the big guns really craved (although my memory is poor, so I could be wrong). Can you explain a little about what it is that SS does not currently do which prevents you "stretching your legs", so to speak (i.e. what is it that you are waiting for in SS?). It's not a facetious question - I am genuinely interested and not being a themer don't understand about a lot of this stuff.

As for the other themes, some may well look alike, but as many don't. I think you're (probably unintentionally) trivialising the work that many guys have put into their themes; I for one appreciate it. It's a good job they didn't all wait until SS 3/4/5 or whatever was released, don't you think? Some may be similar (especially many of the Aqua variants) but I still think there is plenty of diversity, I mean, compare something like Powder or Milk with Sweet Slumber, BBX or Fear and you can see how the interface can still make a difference to how the Mac feels to use.

I think most of us look forward to the day that some of the amazing stuff that is being eluded to gets released, but until then there's some excellent themes around which have been previewed and then released (mostly) on time.

MMICONS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Recto Bold
I seem to remember that in past interviews/postings, SS 2.0 was the one that was supposed to provide the stuff that the big guns really craved (although my memory is poor, so I could be wrong). Can you explain a little about what it is that SS does not currently do which prevents you "stretching your legs", so to speak (i.e. what is it that you are waiting for in SS?). It's not a facetious question - I am genuinely interested and not being a themer don't understand about a lot of this stuff.

As for the other themes, some may well look alike, but as many don't. I think you're (probably unintentionally) trivialising the work that many guys have put into their themes; I for one appreciate it. It's a good job they didn't all wait until SS 3/4/5 or whatever was released, don't you think? Some may be similar (especially many of the Aqua variants) but I still think there is plenty of diversity, I mean, compare something like Powder or Milk with Sweet Slumber, BBX or Fear and you can see how the interface can still make a difference to how the Mac feels to use.

I think most of us look forward to the day that some of the amazing stuff that is being eluded to gets released, but until then there's some excellent themes around which have been previewed and then released (mostly) on time.

Ohh, don't get me wrong, the themes that are out there now are great..
and i don't think they In eny of the other theme designers out there are, in eny shape or form wasting there time..I think it's great that people are making themes..
Im only saying that before I put 100+ hours in making my themes come to life..
I want to make daam sure that my ide's can be made in real life..and not just as a pipe (photoshop theme) dream..like the 4 theme designs I put out 6 Months ago.. =)
they are cool, but impossible to make into "real themes" without cutting like 85% of the cool stuff out, for SS, as it is now..
But I really hope that sometime next year, SS 3 will fix it all, And I can get cracking on some new stuff..=)
but let's see that happens..

Hobeaux
Sep 12, 2005, 11:12 AM

love to see you back here, BBX—I thought you had abandoned us forever Well, them. I'm not a themer and the longest a theme ever lasted on my machine was about three days. But I do love to see the pretty, shiny things.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 11:23 AM

Second, it presents a good argument as to why we need a robust iTunes Remote application (Dashboard/Konfabulator can't do this stuff).

What do you need in a remote?

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by MacDog
I highly recommend WordPress. It's VERY easy to set up, unlike MT which also quite nice, but takes a little more work.

With either of those blog systems, you can use ecto to post with. It's a fantastic (and cheap) blogging app that works with several blog systems and allows a more customizable blog without "coding" your brains out. In short, it allows you to focus on content, rather than entering HTML code to format your posts.

It also allows you to keep a local backup copy on your computer of all your posts. You can check out some screenshots on the Web site, but I encourage all bloggers I come across to give it a run-through with the demo.
Marsedit also does a decent job of that as well.

nikon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 02:15 PM

BBX, I'm glad to see anything you post and I hope to your them on my mac in the not to distant future.
"Laugha while you can monkeyboy." Dr.
Lizardo

700MHz iBook G3
640MB Ram
OS 10.3.9

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 03:23 PM

All I can say is excellent work, BBX. That's some great graphics work you're doing. Very insightful to see the workflow on a project like this. Thanks for posting.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 23, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Add me to that list.
Yeah well me too, but in a totally different way than what I was talking about.

Mooga2
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2005, 11:20 PM

BBX, your work is pushing desktops to the next level. It's inspiring to designers and GUI-freaks alike, keep up the good work.
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

Makki
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2005, 09:08 PM

Bah!

Forum Links
Forum Rules