Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Get the Hip-Hop community to use macs?

Get the Hip-Hop community to use macs?
file
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 02:19 PM

Ship DMX, Eminem and Ja-Rule Powermacs and ipods.

let's face it. urban hip hop artists set trends. whatever they "bling" ...becomes a fashion or commercial sucess.

i just read a interesting article in a magazine that states Ludacris's love of Cadilacs and Hip Hop's love of retro jerseys are major examples of "blinging" that has turned into unintential commercial sucess for vendors

apple computers look nice and are very expensive. it seems like if a rapper was to have a computer...it should be a apple. at the very least, rappers can custom install a imac into their cars (i've seen a dvd player in steering wheels)...or atleast wear a ipod in a video...ipods are like 400-500 dollars. it could be just as effective in "blinging" as a platinum necklace would.

you folks have any opnions on this? i myself admit i dont know too much about rap and hip-hop.

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by file:

apple computers look nice and are very expensive. it seems like if a rapper was to have a computer...it should be a apple.
So true. I'm all for it. If saps want to buy stuff cos they saw it in a Nelly video, thats their perogative. And if it boosts Apple making the world a better place, thats a sweetdeal.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Oct 16, 2002, 02:35 PM

i wanna hear what Apple Pro Underwear says.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

file  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2002, 03:39 PM

i guess the argument is that a lot of rappers are seen as less intelligent because the famous ones dont have any college degree and often are violent and drug inclined

plus it's not apple to be "urban"

however, i have seen ipods on a lot of rap styars now. ice cube, shaq and some others

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2002, 03:49 PM

Someone at Apple is saying, "Don't we have Herbie Hancock and Sinbad? Don't they reach the (using his fingers to make the quote marks) 'hip-hop' demographic?"
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 16, 2002, 04:47 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 12, 2004 at 02:41 AM. )

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2002, 12:46 AM

you folks have any opnions on this? i myself admit i dont know too much about rap and hip-hop.
You don't say.

I kind of gave up on hip hop around 1996-97, when I decided the commercialization had reached a point of no return. But I was a huge fan (mainly of the lesser known stuff) up until that point. Even had a few radio shows for a few years. (Ahh, radio, the only "work" in my life I've ever been passionate about.)

Er, that's not relevant. Anyway, given Apple's huge presence in the music industry anyway, I think you can rest assured that the hip hop community is quite aware of the iPod. I'm surprised it hasn't been named in the Saks Fifth Avenue inventory lists that pass for hip hop lyrics nowadays.

I didn't know Hiero used Macs! Good to hear. Incidentally, MF Doom's last album (in 1999 or so) features a couple of sound clips that are obviously from Mac OS. Deltron (formerly Del the Funky Homo Sapien) uses a familiar Mac OS Speech voice (Fred, I think) as a "computer voice" on one of the tracks of one of his recent albums. So I think it's a safe bet that Mac awareness is quite high in the hip hop community; it just hasn't trickled down to public appearances just yet.

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2002, 01:03 AM

urban hip hop artists set trends. whatever they "bling"
I know it's not intentional, but that was probably one of the best quotes I've ever seen here.

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
I also know Hieroglyphics (Del, Casual, Souls of Mischief, Pep Love, etc.) use Macs.
cool, i didn't know that. these guys are great. apple should really make an effort to get them to "bling" their products.

i also think that "noodles" from the band "gorillaz" (del appeared in "clint eastwood") is a big mac fan. he had a OS 9 "gui" mock up (i believe all made with director/shockwave) as his "part" of their website...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

usedmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2002, 02:19 AM

How 'bout instead of getin' dem to floss da MAcs, we getz dem to spizeak English, yo. fo real tho, dem getto punkz fvckin' is pissin me off. true dat.
-THIS SPACE FOR RENT-

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by CommonSense:

You don't say.

I kind of gave up on hip hop around 1996-97, when I decided the commercialization had reached a point of no return. But I was a huge fan (mainly of the lesser known stuff) up until that point. Even had a few radio shows for a few years. (Ahh, radio, the only "work" in my life I've ever been passionate about.)

Er, that's not relevant. Anyway, given Apple's huge presence in the music industry anyway, I think you can rest assured that the hip hop community is quite aware of the iPod. I'm surprised it hasn't been named in the Saks Fifth Avenue inventory lists that pass for hip hop lyrics nowadays.

I didn't know Hiero used Macs! Good to hear. Incidentally, MF Doom's last album (in 1999 or so) features a couple of sound clips that are obviously from Mac OS. Deltron (formerly Del the Funky Homo Sapien) uses a familiar Mac OS Speech voice (Fred, I think) as a "computer voice" on one of the tracks of one of his recent albums. So I think it's a safe bet that Mac awareness is quite high in the hip hop community; it just hasn't trickled down to public appearances just yet.
You wouldn't happened to be named (your handle) after my favorite non-commercial hip-hop artist are you?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 17, 2002, 09:35 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 12, 2004 at 02:41 AM. )

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Please. Hiero is not about "bling"..
i wasn't being too serious anyway. sorry, i should have include the ""...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2002, 01:48 PM

I find it kinda funny, actually, this is what I've seen, as the effect has already been taking place:

They say at school "Ya know tony hawk uses a mac?! Cool!!!!"

Now if we could get some bling blinging, tho...

It is very likely, we just need a switch commercial with snoop dog, hrm, maybe a few other rappers, etc, whoever is the most popular
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2002, 02:34 PM

A bunch of those NBA players have iPods. on ESPN's the Life one day they all went to the local Apple Store and picked them up. Even Shaq had one.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules