Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook :: how do YOU listen to music ?

Powerbook :: how do YOU listen to music ?
badtz
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 09:20 PM

Was wondering of some examples of how ya'll listen to music from the powerbook ?

Is there an apple audio out port on the back for the pro speakers?

any ideas on ways to get a more powerful sound out of the powerbooks, than the built in speakers ;0 ??

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 09:28 PM

Well if you'd want to use it as a big iPod, as in, listen to music in a cafe w/ only your PowerBook, I'd highly suggest a nice pair of earphones that fit snuggly and subtly in your ear.

Now if you're referring to at-home listening using your PowerBook, there's the option of the built-in speakers, which is right next to terrible for music, then there's the lowly ancient "Audio Out" jack in which you actually can hook up a 2.1 system like the H/K SoundSticks too, and then, there's the option you'll most likely want to take.

The M-Audio Sonica. It's a recently unveiled USB device that allows a 4.1 or 5.1 speaker rig that accepts a digital (TosLink) connection to be connected to your PowerBook, and it's 100% Mac compatible. This site here: Click! has the cheapest reliable price I've found as well as a great description of what it does beneath it on the site.

Any speaker rig like the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's, the Logitech Z-680 system, etc. that will accept a "Digital" connection input will work w/ this little device. All you need is the actual M-Audio Sonica USB device, your speakers, and a TosLink digital audio cable, as shown here: Click!

Hope this helps!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Well if you'd want to use it as a big iPod, as in, listen to music in a cafe w/ only your PowerBook, I'd highly suggest a nice pair of earphones that fit snuggly and subtly in your ear.

Now if you're referring to at-home listening using your PowerBook, there's the option of the built-in speakers, which is right next to terrible for music, then there's the lowly ancient "Audio Out" jack in which you actually can hook up a 2.1 system like the H/K SoundSticks too, and then, there's the option you'll most likely want to take.

The M-Audio Sonica. It's a recently unveiled USB device that allows a 4.1 or 5.1 speaker rig that accepts a digital (TosLink) connection to be connected to your PowerBook, and it's 100% Mac compatible. This site here: Click! has the cheapest reliable price I've found as well as a great description of what it does beneath it on the site.

Any speaker rig like the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's, the Logitech Z-680 system, etc. that will accept a "Digital" connection input will work w/ this little device. All you need is the actual M-Audio Sonica USB device, your speakers, and a TosLink digital audio cable, as shown here: Click!

Hope this helps!
Interesting. So it will be able to output Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 as encoded in a DVD movie I stick into my powerbook's player and using the "DVD Player" app? No other software/driver needed?

It's hard to believe there isn't some kind of lag between the audio and video since the sound outputs via USB. After all, we notice this type of lag with USB audio devices like the iSub.

Sounds too good to be true. Someone must try this and post here to prove me wrong.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:08 PM

Well, with Apple's included DVD player, it *will not* output Digital 5.1 sound, BUT, with third-party DVD playing software, it will, and if your speaker rig (ex., the Logitech Z-680) has a built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoder then it *will* decode the 5.1 signal exactly like it's supposed to be, 5 discrete channels of sound.

And it's not too good to be true, it was being shown at the Jan. 7th, 2003 Mac Expo in full force and received outstanding praise. It's basically the Mac-side's answer to the highly-priased SoundBlaster Extigy for the PC laptop. That's also an external USB device used to connect 5.1 speaker rigs to a typical laptop. The best part about the M-Audio device is that it's really small, whereas the Extigy is a huge breakaway box. And you may notice some lag if Photoshopping, surfing the net, etc. while watching a DVD, but honestly, most people either aren't talented enough to do something else while watching a DVD, or like most, watch to just watch their movie w/o doing other things that interfere.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 10:42 PM

I used to have my T23 hooked up to a McIntosh amplifier and listened to music with my Sennheiser HD545s.

Since I dont use that much space, I just use my HD545s.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2003, 11:43 PM

I use my JBL Creature speakers or my Sony Headphones. They are both reasonably priced @ $130 / $60.

The creature speakers actually match the looks of the PowerBook nicely.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 11:46 PM

yeah good headphones or externals are the only way ....

not too mention the only way you'll hear your music too lol

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 11:54 PM

There's also the sonica theater adapter which has several outputs (for true 5.1).

But I haven't seen it in stores yet.

Creatures are a ripoff through apple. Unless you want blue ones (which are only available from harmanmultimedia.com), then go to newegg.com and get them a lot cheaper
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

mikeylebeau
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 12:34 AM

Personally that's all overkill for my needs. I listen to music through the PowerBook a lot and I just convert the headphone jack out to RCA left and right into my Sony MHC-NX1 stereo (not sure if this particular model is available in the States, I got it when I was living in Amsterdam). It is pretty darn good sound, and I'm not looking for 5.1 or anything crazy like that from my PowerBook. I have a mini home theater for that.. hehe. But if you need that, great, sounds like you have a great option, just letting you know what works great for me.

-mikey
15" TiBook RIP :(
12" AlBook (867MHz/60GB/640MB RAM/SuperDrive/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 20 Feb 2003
30" ACD, G5 (Dual 2.5GHz/500GB/4GB RAM/6800 Ultra DDL/Airport Extreme/Bluetooth) as of 15 Dec 2004

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 01:15 AM

i've run the headphone out to a pair of m-audio sp-5b powered monitors...delicious!

i sometimes use a griffin iMic, cheap!
usb audio out (& in), a little better sounding than the headphone out...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 02:13 AM

when i'm parked at my desk i hook the powerbook up to a MS Gamevoice controler. The speaker output of the gamevoice goes to cambridge soundworks FPS1000's. I only have the front channel speakers pluged in as i constantly kick my rear speaker over I have plantronics .Audio 50's (with boom mic) hooked up to the headset connections on the gamevoice. With a flick of a switch i can go from 2.1 speakers to headphones.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 03:18 AM

I run the audio output from my PowerBook into a harman/kardon PM650 amp connected to a pair of Minimus 7 speakers... they're nothing special, but the system sure beats any set of computer speakers I've ever heard...

Dave McOmie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 03:59 AM

Assuming you mean real "music" and not the ersatz kind that our culture pumps out to its detriment, you don't need 4.1 or 5.1. And you don't need to spend a fortune. Go to eBay and for $90 pick up a Microworks by Cambridge Soundworks, or, for a few more bucks, get Klipsch's 2.1 system. Both are excellent for listening to music. The problem with most systems is that they are way bottom heavy, and displace a lot of air but lack definition, especially in the low end. Assuming that you want to hear the actual notes the bass guitar is playing, you do NOT want an overly powerful subwoofer. Otherwise, as I said, you will get lots of BOOM (kick drum and low bass overtones) but very little of the actual bass notes.

For traveling, use a good pair of headphones that you like on the plane, and check out Creative Labs' Travelsound for a very nice super-portable one-piece speaker system.

Good luck,

Mr Bass

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 04:35 AM

Does anyone know what volts/ohms the audio output is on the powerbook?

is it enough to power the Sony 7506 [63 ohms at 1 kHz] ??

is the iMic powerful enough?

thanks

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 12:18 PM

My stereo is about 2m from the PowerBook's normal position. Being a part time musician, I had a few shielded cables around, but I still couldn't get the cable past my iMac and the TV and VCR to the stereo without a hum over the speakers.

Now I have an iMic attached to a USB hub on the end of a 3m USB cable. The iMic is plugged into my Sony Stereo. Works a charm for DVD's and music. On the DVD's I don't notice any latency (although I know it's there) and it's completely free of any intereference.

one09jason
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 12:19 PM

Another vote for the M-Audio Sonica. Very simple and effective solution. I keep mine plugged into my home stereo. Whenever I feel like listening, I just put my TiBook down on the bookshelf next to the stereo and plug the USB into the Ti.

Perfect sound quality.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 05:40 PM

Is anyone aware of any wireless options for Audio? I know Phillips was supposed to be building something along these lines... I'd love to just transmit audio through the air (but not radio quality) so it doesnt matter where I'm working with my PB, the Audio's still pumping. Is there any way right now to get wireless audio to your speakers? I know there are options for headphones, but I want to share my music with everyone and I dont like batteries. If there was a solution, I'm guessing it would require a few steps that would take away the convenience of wireless....

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by adamberti:
Is anyone aware of any wireless options for Audio? I know Phillips was supposed to be building something along these lines... I'd love to just transmit audio through the air (but not radio quality) so it doesnt matter where I'm working with my PB, the Audio's still pumping. Is there any way right now to get wireless audio to your speakers? I know there are options for headphones, but I want to share my music with everyone and I dont like batteries. If there was a solution, I'm guessing it would require a few steps that would take away the convenience of wireless....

iTrip, from
griffintechnologies.com...
cheap, made for the ipod..but if it's just for the headphone out, worth checking out (sends to your fm reciever)

anyone else?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Commodus
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 12:01 AM

I usually just use my Sennheisers (nothing high-end, but good enough), but what I'd love is a set of Bluetooth headphones with a rechargeable battery arrangement. It'd be very nice to just slip on my headphones, turn my PowerBook on, and go (although I imagine that you'd want to have a toggle on the headphones or in OS X so that you can override this). My 15" PowerBook would need a USB Bluetooth adapter for that, but 12" or 17" users would be able to go wild.

I do have to agree on the Klipsch speakers, by the way... a great choice in any configuration, if you want to turn your PowerBook into a mini-jukebox. I've hooked up my ProMedia 2.1s to my PowerBook and the audio is as good as on my desktop system.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
iTrip, from
griffintechnologies.com...
cheap, made for the ipod..but if it's just for the headphone out, worth checking out (sends to your fm reciever)

anyone else?
Yeah I know theres a few options for wireless Radio, but thats just not good enough quality for my liking. I havent actually heard one so I cant say for sure, but I'm assuming the radio quality isnt that great. I'm just waiting for the day when iTunes 4 comes out and streams audio over airport to my home stereo (Phillps anyone?)

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 04:15 PM

Is fine if you aren't a huge audiophile. I use a Minijack (2.5 mm) to RCA plugs adapter. $3 at Radioshack. Connected to my receiver and JBL speakers. Sounds fine, and you can mute it with the receiver remote or at the Mac if you are sitting there.

Owlicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 05:23 PM

Well at home I just have the single audio out hooked up with an RCA adapter. And I have that hooked up to my Kenwood home theather/stereo system. Gets good sound... for mp3 I would have trouble justifying the price of a digital audio out. As far as headphones I use my Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones, those sound good of course

Forum Links
Forum Rules