Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WWDC: Rumors?

WWDC: Rumors?
rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 09:45 AM

It's June already and there isn't a single thread speculating about WWDC and Mac OS X Panther?

Any surprises in store?
A partnership with Intel, HP or IBM for Mac OS X on Intel maybe?
A new Mac OS X only iBook?
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2003, 09:49 AM

I was driving home last night with this horrible urge to post about WWDC and Panther rumors. Then it finally hit me "it's been done before". Sad that I couldn't be the first, but I moved on with my life.

Oh, and in before lock.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 10:32 AM

How about this new Pal rumor? Your desktop on the web? I think it was on TopTechTips or something.

kman

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 11:20 AM

Here's the "official" wrap-up so far:

iDK 1.0 beta--the iPod Developer Kit. "Write your own stupid solitaire and text reader" will be the product slogan.

The movie this year is going to be "Finding Nemo"

I'm pretty sure a 2x970 (dual-processor IBM 970) laptop will be annouced.

XStations (up to 4x970) desktops will be available for purchase at WWDC. The machines will be announced and physically available the same day. Free shipping home when purchased in SF.

iSync support for the samsung matrix-phone

Doom 3 (the game based on the originally NeXT-developed "doom") will be announced as OSX-only. There will be no PC version, no console version. Jon Carmack will secretly replace Steve Jobs for the keynote.

I CAN'T WAIT! Remember, these may be only rumors, but I'm nearly 100% certain of my source. As you can see, they are all very high-quality rumors. (I *LOVE* it when people ask for rumors)

---gralem

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 12:02 PM

Steve step up on stage and proudly announce Apple has purchased Del Monte Fruit.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Steve step up on stage and proudly announce Apple has purchased Del Monte Fruit.
And the new iFruit range will be availabe for purchase exclusively from Apple Retail Stores. Apple has also obtained all major supermarket chains and will turn them into Apple Retail Stores.

TC
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 12:15 PM

Are they going to change his catchphrase?
The man from Del Monte he say "Apple!"

They could wheel him out at the end of the photoshop bake off to declare the winner.
Nothing to see, move along.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2003, 04:26 PM

I'm starting to think that this one is going to be big (I honestly didn't think the last show was going to be anything, but I was dead wrong... so this one probably won't be anything amazing)

I'd be happy with:

- Bumped processors (talk of 970).
- Showcase of 10.3 (and release date given)
- Bumped iApp (mail, iChat, etc. etc. something to tied us over)

I'd be fanatic with:
- MAJOR REDO of towers and power books (new better looking cases)
- New CPU released IBM 970 (one that is just as fast, if not faster then a PC DOING NORMAL THINGS)
- OS X 10.3 preview (with major new iApp and totally revamped iApp lineup [ iChat 2, Safari final, Address Book, Sherlock, Preview, Calculator, etc. etc.
- The finder is faster...

I don't know about this Pal thing, but it sounds rather strange... Tell me again why I would want my desktop on the internet... Is this like VNC and Remote Desktop... (not a bad idea), but I don't want my personal info sitting out where anyone could potentially hack into...

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 07:40 PM

I for one am very curious as to what will happen at WWDC. A Panther preview we know, but everything else is up in the air.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:20 AM

on the second last day June 26th, my birth day, Steve announces that Apple is giving all Canadian Bible College will be students named David who love Macs, their very own 12 inch Power Books.

He'll also announce the new 970s, and offically announce the death of Motorola as a Mac chip supplier.
He'll spit at the Pres of motorola too.

Steve will say that in Panther we're getting iWish We Could Come Up With A Better Marketing Device, which will be a distributed computing project (shoot I can't remember what those things are really called you know like protein folding) that will help apple come up with a new gimic.

Steve will say NOW WILL YOU GET OFF MY BACK ABOUT MOVING TO FREAKIN INTEL YOU KNOW NOTHING FREAKS! And he will merrily type on his Dual 970 Power Mac that looks freakin awsome, and he'll announce a partnership with Fujifilm to make new 3 megapixel cameras with 1.5 gig HDs that let you play your AAC files too, he'll also announce that Panther won't be avalible till a day before Longhorn.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:36 AM

I predict the iWalk will finally come out.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
I predict the iWalk will finally come out.
It's not going to happen Pal

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
It's not going to happen Pal
I have a knowledgeable source that says otherwise. He's reliable, too, he was on the money about the 17" PB. He also tells me Panther will have even more debugging code because of the bugs introduced by the 64-bit processors! I hope this isn't true

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I have a knowledgeable source that says otherwise. He's reliable, too, he was on the money about the 17" PB. He also tells me Panther will have even more debugging code because of the bugs introduced by the 64-bit processors! I hope this isn't true
*loads shotgun* Oh man...seriusly, guys, hold me back.

I actually heard from a bluebird that the debug code will be removed *at least* by 10.5 -- so we've still got some left for awhile. It will also have Quartz "Extremer" -- which is more extreme than QE. Oh, and then there's FTP Extreme -- finally, functioning FTP from the Finder. All great stuff, except still bogged down by the debug code.

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
- MAJOR REDO of towers and power books (new better looking cases
I'm sure thee PowerBooks are not going to be overhaulled again this year. Bar the 15" TiBook being replaced with an AL one...my TiBook only after 18 months has experienced severe rusting/corrosion and paint flakes. My trusty old graphite iBook SE looked remarkable after 18 months. The Aluminum panels haven't suffered more than a few blemishes...i guess it doesn't help that i've been working near the sea for the past 6 months

Anyway, i expect a MAJOR overhaul of the iBooks this year. If not at WWDC maybe later? Apple will make the iBook the new entry level flagship taking over from the iMac which is now holding the middle ground between the eMacs, iBooks and the PowerMacs and PowerBooks. I'd expect a new commodity enclosure/colours with faster IBM 750s/G3s.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:05 PM

Am I the only person that can actually wait less than 3 weeks?

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Am I the only person that can actually wait less than 3 weeks?
I am going on with my life as normal.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2003, 03:15 PM

I'm more curious then anything... Unless they release some AMAZING new iLife application, what else do I need.

Dream Application (that would make me crap my pants... well, maybe not)

iDVR (with remote and firewire to/from RCA/S-Video dongle)
Price $299.99

+ Will record from and play back to your TV with new iApp (that works with iMovie). Archive movies, shows, news etc. all over your firewire cable. Saves them in high quality MPEG4.

+ Will let you play your iTunes MP3/AAC collection over your regular stereo

+ Will let you watch your iPhoto photo archive

+ Let you design a front end to your TV (but naturally comes with a few basic designs)

+ Create unique plug ins views (local weather, you have email badge, reminder notice, who is calling you [via bluetooth phone], running news attachment, streaming music over the internet... the list could go on and on...)

I know, I know... I'm dreaming... or "Buy a Tivo!!!"

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 03:32 PM

Yeah, mitchell, I think you are dreaming.

I doubt Apple's going to enter the DVR market. They've made it perfectly clear that they and Tivo have a great relationship. I mean, they're even selling them in their stores. I doubt they'd want to jeopardize that relationship, especially considering how popular Tivo is already.

Thinking back to the iPod, Apple had to come out with a good mp3 player because nothing else could cut it. Had they had a relationship with Rio, and Rio actually made great players, we never would have seen the iPod.

But anyway, I doubt I'll be able to make it the three weeks to WWDC. Not that I'm expecting anything big, but I just want to know for sure. And I can't wait to find out why Panther is going to make me hate Jaguar.

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
*loads shotgun* Oh man...seriusly, guys, hold me back.

-- finally, functioning FTP from the Finder. All great stuff, except still bogged down by the debug code.
OK... I'm trying to hold you back. FTP *DOES* work from the find. Go to Applications -> Utilities. Open Terminal.app....

---gralem

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2003, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
Yeah, mitchell, I think you are dreaming.

I doubt Apple's going to enter the DVR market. They've made it perfectly clear that they and Tivo have a great relationship. I mean, they're even selling them in their stores. I doubt they'd want to jeopardize that relationship, especially considering how popular Tivo is already.

Thinking back to the iPod, Apple had to come out with a good mp3 player because nothing else could cut it. Had they had a relationship with Rio, and Rio actually made great players, we never would have seen the iPod.

But anyway, I doubt I'll be able to make it the three weeks to WWDC. Not that I'm expecting anything big, but I just want to know for sure. And I can't wait to find out why Panther is going to make me hate Jaguar.
I'm with you... I'm just tired of not being able to "play" around with the video... and I'm sure if apple would make a DVR, there would be come catch to how you could edit the video...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 05:50 PM

Perhaps a partnership with Tivo?
not likely

besides that's not what the WWDC is about. This Pal thing has me kinda scared but I'm still looking forward to the WWDC

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 07:08 PM

Oh, and then there's FTP Extreme -- finally, functioning FTP from the Finder. All great stuff, except still bogged down by the debug code.
I'm sorry dude, bad news. It's no longer FTP Extreme. They've changed it to FTP Pro, and you have to pay $30 to get a license key. No money, no worky FTP for you!

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 08:00 PM

Apple will announce a partnership with Sony. Early next year Sony will introduce the Playstation 3 with a stripped down version of OS X on every console, -thereby quadrupling the Mac's market-share overnight.

-Then I woke up.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by beb:
Apple will announce a partnership with Sony. Early next year Sony will introduce the Playstation 3 with a stripped down version of OS X on every console, -thereby quadrupling the Mac's market-share overnight.

-Then I woke up.
Wow, I like that idea...

Sony showcases OS X on the CLI� BOOM!!!!!!

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 10:25 PM

I predict massive disappointment from almost all quarters. From the rumors that have been going around, 10.3 is going to be all things to all people. I'll grant you that the Developer tools in OS X make it a really productive platform to develop for, but I don't see Apple delivering the Sun, Moon, and Stars in 10.3. Prepare for a lot of sad faces and heads bashing against brick walls.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 11:23 PM

Maybe an update to the Dev Tools? It's been quiet for a while now...

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 11:38 PM

I want a GUI for creating sheets and toolbars in Interface Builder. Yea, it's easy to code 'em...but I'm lazy.

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
Yes. Actually, given that Apple is hoping to increase it's revenue from software and services it is remarkable they haven't really done anything with the once coverted developer frameworks and libraries they are sitting on.

I hope (and really do expect) that Apple will rebrand/market Carbon and Cocoa as a cross-platform development environment/API like it's predecessor OPENSTEP.

These were tools (along with Enterprise Objects) that had the creme de la creme of the enterprise Fortune 500 as customers: Swiss Bank, Merrill Lynch, Linklaters & Paines, BBC, AIG, Disney and Chrysler to name a few.

Now that Cocoa is no longer dependent on DiplayPostScript and instead uses Quartz to render, Apple could make the Windows run-time free. Same goes for Carbon, which shares much Core* functionality with Cocoa (including Quartz).

If i were to hazard a guess, i'd say that they'd make iTunes for Windows as it's first major Carbon/Cocoa port to Windows.

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 4, 2003, 11:56 PM

One more thing...i hope they spin-off the WebObjects division

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 12:05 AM

Well, a broader defined feature list for Panther is a certainty. I think with all the hubbub of Motorola, IBM and the new new processor talk that a demo isn't out of the question.

That would be enough to make a Moscone presentation worthwhile.

hmm, my 1000th post.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 02:25 AM

Snapp... nah, I won't got there,

J

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2003, 03:15 AM

This is a news clip from the future. Don't ask how I obtained it.

--------

June 23, 2003:

San Francisco, CA: Apple CEO Steve Jobs addressed an eager crowd of developers today at the World Wide Developers' Conference. Sneak peeks of Mac OS X 10.3, codenamed "Panther", were shown, and some companies, including Quark, demonstrated some of their upcoming products for OS X. However, what followed shocked many members of the audience. A transcript follows:

Jobs: Oh, and there's one more thing. Many of you have been wondering about the future development of Mac hardware.

<eager silence in the audience>

Jobs: There have been many reports of our using the IBM PowerPC 970 for our next line of processors. However, it may surprise you to hear that we will not actually be using this chip.

<stunned silence from crowd, followed by angry murmuring and general restlessness>

Jobs: At this time, I will present Mike Zafirovski, representing Motorola, who will help explain why we will continue to use Motorola processors.

<Mike Zafirovski steps on stage>
<boos, jeers from audience>

Zafirovski: Well, we've been working hard on our next generation of PowerPC processors, and we've actually been working very closely with Apple for some special features for it. The real breakthough, though, occurred when Steve managed to build us a working time machine.

<confused silence from crowd>

Zafirovski: What we did once we had this technology was that we travelled three years into the future, when we had fabrication facilities capable of building a 3 GHz G5! We took the blueprints from our future counterparts, took them back to the present, and upgraded our facilities to be able to build these new chips.

<uneasy silence from crowd>

Zafirovski: The problem was that once we had this new technology, we worked on it over the next three years, and improved it, so that when our past selves travelled into the future, what they brought back was a 4 GHz G6 instead of a 3 GHz G5.

<confused murmuring from crowd>

Zafirovski: This caused a temporal causality loop, with the speed of the chip we brought back from the future getting faster and faster. The loop did not get broken until the chip reached the absolute upper limit of performance that can be reached.

Jobs: This chip is incredible. It represents the pinnacle of all human achievement. Gigahertz ratings, or should I say, exohertz ratings, are completely irrelevant on this machine. It is capable of doing lots of neat stuff which we think developers will enjoy taking advantage of, such as quantum computing, Star Trek holodecks, and pop-up tabbed windows. We're calling it the Real Fast Engine(tm). We think it will change the direction of computing.

<stunned silence from audience>

Jobs: But, just to show you how fast this chip really is, I'd like to show you some Unreal Tournament 2003 benchmarks. However, we didn't think it would be fair to run UT 2003 in OS X. Therefore, we decided to show you another new product we're introducing today. Starting today, all new copies of Mac OS X are going to ship with a Pentium emulator capable of running Windows XP.

<excited murmuring from crowd>

Jobs: I'd just like to show you a demonstration of the Windows version of UT 2003 running in emulation, on OS X, on a Real Fast Engine processor.

<Jobs starts game, against AI opponents>
<In a blink of an eye, the AI characters zip into the room and instantly kill Jobs' character>

Jobs: Uh, heh heh... I guess there are still some bugs in limiting the speed of the emulation. Moving right along...

<Jobs gives death glare to an Apple engineer>
<Engineer hurriedly types up his last will and testament on a TiBook>

Jobs: Anyway, these new machines are wicked fast, and will ship with OS X Panther. They will be available in three days, starting at $899 for a 12 Exohertz tower.

<wild applause from audience>

----

Reactions on the Internet have been mixed. On most web sites, readers were excited about this new development. However, on a Mac forum named MacNN, some users were not as thrilled. Comments included:

"There was no mention of the Star Trek transporter technology that was supposed to be in this machine! Way to go Apple, letting us down again!"

"$899? That's outrageous! Where's that 75 cent computer that was rumored?! That does it - I'M SWITCHING TO WINTEL!!!"

"I'm disappointed that this machine still doesn't have the power button on the keyboard. Too bad - guess I'll be holding off my next purchase a little longer."

"Mac OS X Panther still doesn't include the Control Strip! Boo!"

"Have they removed the debug code yet?"

"Three days? Damn it, why does Apple have to delay everything they make so long? I can't wait for that - I need a computer now! Dude, I'm getting a Dell!"

----

In the wake of Apple's announcement of the Real Fast Engine(tm), Dell bounced back with the announcement of a Time Machine - enabled computer of their own. Says founder Michael Dell, "It's a computer with a clock on the front bezel. With this revolutionary ClocktiPlex(tm) technology, you will always know precisely what time it is, even when the Pentium processor gets so bogged down that it can't update the taskbar clock. See, Apple isn't really that innovative after all. We have just as many good ideas as they do. Actually, they probably stole the idea of a Time Machine - enabled computer by spying on our prototypes."

----

The WWDC conference seems to have been wildly successful for Apple, with many very large orders for new Apple computers coming in from many new clients, including an order of 25,000 machines for the FBI. Many experts, though, are curious about what happened to the Star Trek transporter technology that was rumored to be in this machine. Many Apple insiders had hinted at its existence, but no mention was seen of it at today's conference.

In other news, Bill Gates's body has been found in high orbit of the Earth. The FBI was quick to rule the occurrence an apparent suicide.

In an unrelated coincidence, Saddam Hussein was seen falling off of Niagara Falls today, another apparent suicide according to the FBI.

--------

There you have it, a news article from the future. I've managed to get one of those machines, and it's wicked fast. Also, I managed to escape in my time machine to the present, where... OH ****! They're coming - how did they figure out that I was going to be here at my computer at exactly this date and time?! Oh well, I know a time I can go to where they'll never think to look. Gotta go...

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 09:32 AM

The Apple-powered time machine...

"Insanely great" or "Greatly insane"

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

--------

June 23, 2003:
hehehe... that was funny. Especially the quotes from the MacNN boards.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
If they release a Panther seed, they'll have to release an updated Dev Tools for that.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rmendis:
I hope (and really do expect) that Apple will rebrand/market Carbon and Cocoa as a cross-platform development environment/API like it's predecessor OPENSTEP.I just can't see them bringing back YB for Win.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2003, 12:18 PM

We are all time travelers...

Unfortunately, we are all traveling at 1x speed :-(

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

Well, what can I say... Some people habe too much time and imagination than is good for them though...

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2003, 12:17 AM

It will also have Quartz "Extremer" -- which is more extreme than QE.
Anyone know HOW Apple is planning to speed up Quartz?
Quartz Rendering gets boost from - AltiVec and multiprocessing.
Quartz Compositing gets boost from 3D graphics hardware (Quartz Extreme).

Well, the only thing left to streamline IMHO is the Quartz event handling and event model. This is where it appears to have trouble...is why we feel some apps as sluggish. Anyone know?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I'm sorry dude, bad news. It's no longer FTP Extreme. They've changed it to FTP Pro, and you have to pay $30 to get a license key. No money, no worky FTP for you!
But will it run fullscreen?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 05:02 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm more curious then anything... Unless they release some AMAZING new iLife application, what else do I need.

Dream Application (that would make me crap my pants... well, maybe not)

iDVR (with remote and firewire to/from RCA/S-Video dongle)
Price $299.99

+ Will record from and play back to your TV with new iApp (that works with iMovie). Archive movies, shows, news etc. all over your firewire cable. Saves them in high quality MPEG4.

+ Will let you play your iTunes MP3/AAC collection over your regular stereo

+ Will let you watch your iPhoto photo archive

+ Let you design a front end to your TV (but naturally comes with a few basic designs)

+ Create unique plug ins views (local weather, you have email badge, reminder notice, who is calling you [via bluetooth phone], running news attachment, streaming music over the internet... the list could go on and on...)

I know, I know... I'm dreaming... or "Buy a Tivo!!!"
Buy a Formac Studio
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

ja
Jun 6, 2003, 09:25 AM

excellent

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2003, 10:04 AM

Outstanding. I will place my order as soon as I get confirmation that the GUI is *snappier*....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

rm-rf /etc
Jun 7, 2003, 08:31 AM

Well, since there doesn't seem to be much meat in this thread, I thought I'd post a few tidbits that I've gleaned...

Panther has many cool features. But the top 2 are 64-bit clean and stunning graphics.

Expect Quartz to get way more extreme. Think NeXT dimension times 4 <http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/History...030/page4.html>. Think graphics co-processor. To compress backing stores, damage repair being offloaded...

All I can add is that new G4 tower owners will be pleasantly surprised And the 970 owners will be positively thrilled. Of course, users of older hardware will bitch (time to upgrade guys!). If you are into Media of any sort, the new hardware is definitely worth the upgrade... Dual 2.2 GHz at sub two-grand... Also hold off on those 15" Powerbook purchases 'til the end of summer... you never know

Also look for Renderman coming back to its roots... in a very surprising configuration specifically built for movie industry. Will definitely SHAKE the industry

All in all a lot of hardware niceties for the high-end pro market. I feel really sorry for SGI.

More NeXT time ...

rmendis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by rm-rf /etc:
[B]All in all a lot of hardware niceties for the high-end pro market. I feel really sorry for SGI.
[B]
I still think that Apple should purchase SGI...i think Apple could acheive a lot with the SGI brand under it's belt.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 01:35 PM

Well, since there doesn't seem to be much meat in this thread, I thought I'd post a few tidbits that I've gleaned...

Panther has many cool features. But the top 2 are 64-bit clean and stunning graphics.

Expect Quartz to get way more extreme. Think NeXT dimension times 4 <http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/History...030/page4.html>. Think graphics co-processor. To compress backing stores, damage repair being offloaded...

All I can add is that new G4 tower owners will be pleasantly surprised And the 970 owners will be positively thrilled. Of course, users of older hardware will bitch (time to upgrade guys!). If you are into Media of any sort, the new hardware is definitely worth the upgrade... Dual 2.2 GHz at sub two-grand... Also hold off on those 15" Powerbook purchases 'til the end of summer... you never know

Also look for Renderman coming back to its roots... in a very surprising configuration specifically built for movie industry. Will definitely SHAKE the industry

All in all a lot of hardware niceties for the high-end pro market. I feel really sorry for SGI.

More NeXT time ...
God I love your posts. You also wrote this a while back:

...Take your user account to go. A different form factor, but tightly integrated with the Mac. You will see a OS X option for allow login from 'iDevice' in user accounts. The login prompt will also support logging in from the device. Look for changes in the security model including support for PAM. Take your homework from home to school to work on a Pod.

This is the major difference between Apple's model of user data storage (locally) vs Microsofts (on the .NET). If Apple plays its cards right, it may well be the coup de grace for .NET. This would have to mean an open pod architecture with multi-vendor support...
Sounds like something we've been hearing about lately....

Cheers
Scott

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 02:15 PM

Dual 2.2 GHz at sub two-grand...
That's a tough one to believe. I think I'd sell my Dual-800 if that were the case. Zowie.

osxisfun
Jun 7, 2003, 04:31 PM

yes. that is a little tought to buy (but i would pruchase one immediately if true)

are you sure your not overestimating the speed a little, rm?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2003, 04:47 PM

Yeah, you have some inside info, or are you just giving us all geek hard-ons to get a kick out of it? A $1999 *dual* 2.2GHz PPC970 Power Mac? Ahem, I believe I would sell my grandmother for that one.

Terri
Senior User
Jun 7, 2003, 06:35 PM

What is the going rate for a grandmother?

Forum Links
Forum Rules