Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther shipping method unexpectedly changed

Panther shipping method unexpectedly changed
Power4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 10:16 AM

This moring, I checked my order status for Panther on the Apple web site. My shipping method was listed as 2 Day even though I selected FedEx when I placed the order. I called Apple, and they promptly changed it back to Standard Overnite. The Apple rep also indicated that I should be *receiving* Panther on the 24th - which means I expect it to ship on the 23rd.

You may want to check your order if you selected FedEx to make sure it didn't get changed to 2 Day.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 10:34 AM

I just checked mine and lo and behold I had this same issue! So I called Apple. The lady I spoke to said that she was going to leave it as is because due to the massive amount of orders they are trying to get the orders out by the 22nd and delivered on the 24th. BUT she did say she would take away the shipping charge! So I saved 12 bucks. Plus I am buying the education version (which is legit because I am a student) so I am only paying 70 bucks for Panther. Yay me. *grooves*

It would just have been nice had Apple let folks know via e-mail or whatever that they were doing that. But the important thing is that a 5 minute phone call saved me 12 bucks. Heck yeah baby.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 11:04 AM

Same here. Changed from standard 3-5 day shipping to 2-day.

Sweet!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 11:04 AM

Just checked mine. It's still Being Reviewed? Odd this, The Web Order Number is incorect, They had a problem with my credit card and sent me an email asking me to call. I sorted it out and recived a new Order No. and confirmation mail. The Order status page only lists the old failed order.

Also, when is Apple going to update the images on that Order Status page, That's ether a pre G3 (Power Mac 9XXX) or an early G3 in that box, and the header is still in Apple Garamond.
finished off with a nice OS9 style button.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Oct 21, 2003 at 11:15 AM. )

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2003, 11:34 AM

Same deal... saw it was 2 day (originally overnight).

I called, they sounded confused, dropped the shipping charge (yeah me) and said they were "trying very hard" to get it to everyone by Friday night.

Of course, I am out on Friday night, but it will make for an early Sat morning!

BZ

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 11:47 AM

Same here. Overnight to 2-Day. As long as it comes by Friday night, I'll be happy. If they don't charge the extra $12 and it is still here on Friday night - WooHoo
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 11:52 AM

Mine changed too. I had the free 3-5 day shipping and now it is 2 day. Does anyone know if this is being shipped by Airborne? Last time they tried to deliver me a package, they couldn't find my house and said it was a bad address. I ended up getting the package a week later re-routed to my office. Grrrrr. I won't stand for that on Friday.

-b

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 11:57 AM

Same with my order. Was changed from overnight to 2 day, I called, and they credited me the difference in shipping charges. I hope it makes it here by Friday, so I'll have plenty of time over the weekend to install it on my Powerbook.

jbhopper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 11:59 AM

Nice.. mine too. Although I would like to know if it is Airborne too, that way I don't have to be there for them to deliver it. I don't think they have my sig on file...

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 12:30 PM

My order has been upgraded to 2-day as well. Yay!

Of course they'll deliver it while I'm at work and I'll have to drive out to the airport to get it! Oh, the agony!

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 01:20 PM

Well I ordered 2 day shipping, but since it's free who can I call to get credit for that?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 01:25 PM

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE. They should be able to help you out.

-b

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
Call 1-800-MY-APPLE. They should be able to help you out.

-b
Thanks they took care of it for me.

Power4  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Slayer-X:
I just checked mine and lo and behold I had this same issue! So I called Apple. The lady I spoke to said that she was going to leave it as is because due to the massive amount of orders they are trying to get the orders out by the 22nd and delivered on the 24th. BUT she did say she would take away the shipping charge! So I saved 12 bucks. Plus I am buying the education version (which is legit because I am a student) so I am only paying 70 bucks for Panther. Yay me. *grooves*

It would just have been nice had Apple let folks know via e-mail or whatever that they were doing that. But the important thing is that a 5 minute phone call saved me 12 bucks. Heck yeah baby.
So, now I wonder if I will get mine on the 23rd, or if I will get it the 24th and get my $12.00 back for overnite? I really don't care about the $12, but it would be nice if Apple were consistent. All I really care about is getting Panther for the weekend

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2003, 04:14 PM

For some sinking reason, I KNOW I'm not going to get my copy on the 24th... It's going to be on the 28 or something lame...

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 04:22 PM

I kinda wish now that I had pre-ordered with standard shipping, so I would have got the free bump. Seems like no matter when you pre-ordered, you will get it on the 24th. (Or Monday). After the 24th it seems that shipping style applies again.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 04:24 PM

Just checked mine...upgraded from ground to 2-Day shipping . When I called to place the order I asked the rep if I should get overnight in order to have it by PM on the 24th.....he told me that it does not matter....so I chose free ground.
( Last edited by mbperk; Oct 22, 2003 at 10:19 AM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 05:19 PM

i ordered free ground and now it is at two day with no charge.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 05:25 PM

So I'm ordering it right now, with the educational discount...should I just leave the shipping as the 5-day? Will they bump me up to the two day, or should I select the two day shipping, and call them and have them take the charge off?

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 05:43 PM

Well I just chose the standard shipping, and it says the estimated date is the 24th, so hopefully it'll be that way.

MacNugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 07:32 PM

hmm, as of 19:30 EST, the Apple order status page is unavailable!!?? (Backend error??)

Is everybody checking order status?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 07:45 PM

I selected "Standard shipping" (no charge" when placing my order.. since normally the packages get here in 2 days from California.

Yea.. the AppleStore is very unstable now.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by MacNugget:
hmm, as of 19:30 EST, the Apple order status page is unavailable!!?? (Backend error??)

Either that, or server problems. I just placed an order for the Up To Date Panther and it took like 5 minutes just for my credit card to be authorized. Get the same backend error when checking status.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 08:03 PM

I get the same error. I thought the problem was on my side because my ISP has been having problems but if others are getting this error then it's just not me.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:24 PM

So do people who used the free standard shipping also going to receive Panther on Friday? I'm still waiting to make sure of this, but once I know for certain I am going to place my order at the Apple Store online.

dole
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 10:25 PM

I got the same error when I tried checking my order status. I tried it again and it worked, but my order is still "Open". I ordered it on the 11th. I doubt I will be getting it on Friday, probably the following Monday.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 10:31 PM

Probably because 500 Mac users are pressing the refresh button on their browser to see if they get free 2-day shipping.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 10:35 PM

i am picking mine up at my local mac place, ****ing Tysons shuts down for Five ****ing weeks? What is this...

whatever, no biggie, this place is closer to me anyway!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 11:13 PM

Yup. . . like wise.

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yup. . . like wise.
Same here
This is the mesage that I got
"Server Error

Backend Invalid Response Error

This error indicates that an invalid response was received from the backend server.

Please try again. If this problem continues, please notify the web server administrator."

Too many people looking at Apple ...
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

MacNugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Westfoto:
Same here
This is the mesage that I got
"Server Error

Backend Invalid Response Error

This error indicates that an invalid response was received from the backend server.

Please try again. If this problem continues, please notify the web server administrator."

Too many people looking at Apple ...
<sarcasm> So much for the most stable OS in the world!! </sarcasm>

Next thing we know is Airbone express isn't capable of handling the massive delivery?

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 12:24 AM

here's a question: shipping says "PM Delivery 10/24", so does that mean before 5pm? if it really is coming on the 24th, i'd rather have this shipped to work, so i can get it; if i have it shipped to my apt, and i'm not there, they won't leave it, and i can't be all geeky and install it on the 24th.

i'm guessing this is coming by FedEx; FedEx doesn't deliver in the evening, like after 5pm or later, do they? i know i know, this is stupid. but see, i just don't want to be screwed like when 10.0 came out, which got shipped to work. then apple upgraded my shipping for overnight. and they delivered it (or attempted to) on saturday, when no one was at work. so i ended up getting it on monday.

tr

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:05 AM

I think FedEx and UPS deliver up to 8:00 PM, and Airbone is until around 5:00 PM.

phantomac
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 01:46 AM

My order receipt said shipping october, 25th ever since I ordered (Europe, Germany). So I don't except the package to arrive before october, 31st.

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 02:10 AM

Well, the "official" release is at 8 PM, so I would guess that Panther is slated to be delivered somewhere around then. Haha I wonder if people on the west coast will get it 3 hours before the east coasters...

-Biggie!

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 03:55 AM

I've just got a shipment notification regarding my order panther - so they must have started sending them out! WOO!! Looks like it might arrive on friday after all!

"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

BluThng
Oct 22, 2003, 07:20 AM

I also got a shipping confirmation today via email too! Yey!
iN THe eND, iT DoeSN'T ReaLLy MaTTeR

| PowerBook G4 | 15.2" | 1.25GHz | 512MB | Combo | 60GB | AE | BT |

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 07:52 AM

haven't got an email in, went to ckeck order, it said store was down, will be back up later,

should i just call or wait?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 07:57 AM

Just checked my email and looks like my copy of Panther is on its way shipped 10/22/03.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 09:12 AM

UPDATE:

i just checked mine:

two days but no charge added?

so just leave it alone?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 09:39 AM

I just checked my order status this morning and now I have been upgraded to standard overnight. Next thing I know, Steve will be personally handing it to me at my door.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2003, 09:42 AM

Kewl, mine shipped, and via FedEx too. At least I know it will get here in a reasonable amount of time since it didn't go out via Airborne.
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Oct 22, 2003 at 10:45 AM. )

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2003, 10:43 AM

mine was changed to standard overnite, too.

Sweet!

Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 11:40 AM

Well, that's not fair. My order is still open. Is anyone else's like this? It does not say it has been shipped nor have have I received an email. What gives?

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Jbroad572:
Well, that's not fair. My order is still open. Is anyone else's like this? It does not say it has been shipped nor have have I received an email. What gives?
Yeah, me too. Now it says it will SHIP on or before the 24th. Did it always say this? Does that mean that it could ship as late as the 24th and arrive next week?

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 01:26 PM

Life is good! When I preordered Panther I picked free shipping. I just checked my order status and it got upgraded to Standard Overnite for free!
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

darkhawk64
Oct 22, 2003, 01:55 PM

My edu copy of Panther was also upgraded to Standard Overnite, but it hasn't shipped yet. I'm hoping it'll go out either today or tomorrow, so I can get it on Friday. My order status still says open, though. I'm guessing it ships tomorrow. Here's to hoping!
jared
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 01:58 PM

I ordered education version with standard shipping - it's still open order and it still says parcel post for shipping.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2003, 02:05 PM

I just checked it again, it now says (just after 5 minutes of checking it prior to calling)

Shipping Method
Standard Overnite

Hmm, maybe if your order still says standard shipping you should call?

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 02:09 PM

Mine just changed to shipped within the last hour!

I had ordered overnite, but it says it's being sent 2-day. I'll have to be sure to call and get my money back. I don't really mind waiting till Friday as long as I get it this week.

Honestly, I wonder if people's shipping methods depend on how far they are from the shipping site, i.e. those who are far have been upgraded to overnite, those who are close will get it by 2-day shipping. As for me, I live in California.

Forum Links
Forum Rules