Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Windows get Mac-over

Windows get Mac-over (Page 2)
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Chat Client, huh. So subtle.

Chris

shockme17
Apr 23, 2004, 08:35 PM

chat client.. as in jean guy's chat client...hmmmm....

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Crni:
tnx
I'm using modifed version of Lucida Grande font with added apple specific symbols.And you are right - windows don't have finder bar - you are looking at Objectbar - finderbar emulation program for windows - replacing actuall windows taskbar.
Gad, I'm impressed, especially with using the special fonts to make those Command keys appear. That's some cool stuff you've got going there.

kupan787
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 03:06 AM

I recently built a PC (mainly for my upcoming senior project course). I know this probably isn't the best place, but I don't know where else to post this. I am wondering how one changes the font, and how one can use anti-alliasing. If it matters, I have a CRT (so I hope for something better than ClearType), and a 9600XT video card (if there issomethign in teh drivers or something).

Crni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Gad, I'm impressed, especially with using the special fonts to make those Command keys appear. That's some cool stuff you've got going there.
Tnx

Originally posted by kupan787:
I recently built a PC (mainly for my upcoming senior project course). I know this probably isn't the best place, but I don't know where else to post this. I am wondering how one changes the font, and how one can use anti-alliasing. If it matters, I have a CRT (so I hope for something better than ClearType), and a 9600XT video card (if there issomethign in teh drivers or something).
There is nothing wrong with Clear Type - you just need to get some tweaking tool and adjust it a bit.
Objectbar uses his own antialliasing and OBfont is avaliable at my page:http://free-st.htnet.hr/crni/

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 02:35 PM

god how sad is this, get over your using windows live with it. That fact people spend hours to try and make it look a little like a mac if it were a crack baby is just pathetic. Have these people got nothing better to do

shockme17
Apr 24, 2004, 08:24 PM

have you nothing better to do than make fun of people having nothing to do?

heh.

kupan787
Senior User
Apr 24, 2004, 09:49 PM

There is nothing wrong with Clear Type - you just need to get some tweaking tool and adjust it a bit.
Objectbar uses his own antialliasing and OBfont is avaliable at my page:http://free-st.htnet.hr/crni/
I have read that it is meant more for LCD screens rather than CRTs. I have enabled and "tweaked" it, but text doesn't look as "crisp" as it does in OS X. I guess there isn't much I can do about that however.

Thanks

Mike S.
Senior User
Apr 25, 2004, 12:08 AM

I guess everybody has visited this Microsoft page to tune their settings.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2004, 06:53 PM

Honestly I never was pleased with mac themes on windows. They look cheap, have a poor representation of the OS, are typically oversized, and have enough quirks to be a pain in the butt.

Plus if your machine screws up that's one more thing to have to redo.
Aloha

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 09:14 PM

Bah, making your Windows look like Mac is like sticking a Benz badge on a different car.
This is what a Windows desktop should look like:

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2004, 12:15 PM

Bah to you too, I'll make my computers however the dam well I please. And I don't care if you approve. So that means me, and a lot of other people will theme our computers however we want and you'll just have to get over it.
Originally posted by Michel_80:
Bah, making your Windows look like Mac is like sticking a Benz badge on a different car.
This is what a Windows desktop should look like:

( Last edited by smoke-tetsu; Apr 26, 2004 at 12:21 PM. )

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2004, 06:31 PM

Some people stick BMW signs on their Ford Fiesta. Everybody can do as they please.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2004, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by smoke-tetsu:
Bah to you too, I'll make my computers however the dam well I please. And I don't care if you approve. So that means me, and a lot of other people will theme our computers however we want and you'll just have to get over it.
Yeah but none of that matters because it looks really crappy

Crni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 03:07 PM

In that case here is another crappy one - just for you

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
You can only dream of the customizations that Window's allows.

Chris

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I know i have ran it for 10 years and probably customised it before most of these people even knew about it seen as I was running some of the very early versions of litestep and made many a theme for it.
But now the customisation scene has become full of stupid talentless kids who just spend all day trying to make their machines look like macs or one of the other 3 styles that all new themes are just generic rehashes of. Back a while before XP there were much much more original themes around than this garbage.

So get over yourself I've been part of the windows customisation scene for years

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2004, 08:06 PM

I know i have ran it for 10 years and probably customised it before most of these people even knew about it seen as I was running some of the very early versions of litestep and made many a theme for it.
But now the customisation scene has become full of stupid talentless kids who just spend all day trying to make their machines look like macs or one of the other 3 styles that all new themes are just generic rehashes of. Back a while before XP there were much much more original themes around than this garbage.

So get over yourself I've been part of the windows customisation scene for years

I don't care how long you've been using windows, that doesnt give you the right to call peoples hard work 'crap'.

Chris

maziu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 09:16 PM

Chris
Mac OS X gets almost all of the functionality right, so I don't need to run hundreds of apps and customizations. The style isn't exactly my style, so it's a good thing that ShapeShifter is out there with plenty of themes. There's not much more I'd want to change about Mac OS X... I use FruitMenu and ShapeShifter, and Canydbar. When I'm on my PC, I only dream of being on my mac.

Acrimonium
Apr 28, 2004, 10:28 PM

PC users needs high-end Pentium, because they fill it with processor hog Mac wannabe apps...
Couldn't resist, sorry... It's 4.30 AM here... Ok, I go

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2004, 12:14 PM

In that case here is another crappy one - just for you
Nobody messes with crni.
Guy is the Li Mu Bao of Windows OSX emulation.
I defy anyone to say his desktops look 'crappy.'
His osx emulation mods look better than half the captures in the screenie thread here.

I, too, used to mod windows, am a devotee of Aqua-soft.org, but broke down and finally bought an iBook two months ago. There's no going back, but you can't disrespect crni or the enthusiasts who make a hobby of modding their non-apple machines to near-perfect replicas of the osx gui. Not arguing functionality here, just looks.

crni, rock on, brother!!

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
Nobody messes with crni.
Guy is the Li Mu Bao of Windows OSX emulation.
I defy anyone to say his desktops look 'crappy.'
His osx emulation mods look better than half the captures in the screenie thread here.

I, too, used to mod windows, am a devotee of Aqua-soft.org, but broke down and finally bought an iBook two months ago. There's no going back, but you can't disrespect crni or the enthusiasts who make a hobby of modding their non-apple machines to near-perfect replicas of the osx gui. Not arguing functionality here, just looks.

crni, rock on, brother!!
Bah that is crappy I've seen much better in my time.

huggeebear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 08:52 AM

Heh heh, looks like Wired.com is running another story (april 30th) on this topic

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63256,00.html

Crni, your mods rock, inspirational stuff,makes we wish i had a pc at home so icould mod it
( Last edited by huggeebear; Apr 30, 2004 at 09:25 AM. )

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 01:49 PM

Sorry but that is just an insane skin job. That's dedication! What did he use to emulate iChat?

Defiant Jazz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 03:18 PM

Windows Classic is the ONLY way to fly on XP. As for skinning Windows, I'd rather just buy a Mac and not have to mess with it. I've tried many of the available programs and just hate the minuteness of detail required to properly emulate OS X.

shockme17
Apr 30, 2004, 07:04 PM

the skinned "ichat" is trillian, a great multi IM program. you can see some of the artist's other stuff at danimator.deviantart.com

there was iTalk that used to only log on to MSN and a browser called savanna emulating safari and a few others, but apple had those projects shut down along with a few others.. it seems though, that apple is being leniant with new prog writers.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by shockme17:
the skinned "ichat" is trillian, a great multi IM program. you can see some of the artist's other stuff at danimator.deviantart.com.
Trillian is also a great computer tourist attraction, I hear they're going to have a 4 mile wide sign saying "SEE THE WORST INTERFACE IN THE WORLD EVER! EVEN WORSE THAN NERO BURNING ROM!"

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by smoke-tetsu:
Are you talking to me? I can't see how you would miss everything in the shot, look again.
Sorry, no... the original poster.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Defiant Jazz:
Windows Classic is the ONLY way to fly on XP. As for skinning Windows, I'd rather just buy a Mac and not have to mess with it. I've tried many of the available programs and just hate the minuteness of detail required to properly emulate OS X.
If you really want to fly on XP use something like BlackBox shell replacement.

voo
Forum Regular
May 1, 2004, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Sorry but that is just an insane skin job. That's dedication! What did he use to emulate iChat?

http://aquaxp.com/theme/dotm-res/200...%20Kurt871.jpg
curious on how you never see the current running themed window, and just the menubar
( Last edited by voo; May 1, 2004 at 05:23 AM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 05:25 AM

Niiiice. Now if oooonly XP rid of that stupid parent/child window stuff...

Ooh well. Nice for a secondary machine, not the thing I'd do to a PC to make it my full time machine.
Aloha

Crni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by voo:
curious on how you never see the current running themed window, and just the menubar
You mean something like this ?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by voo:
its a dead give away. totally kills the illusion. if the widgets are on the right, you automatically know its a windows box.

Crni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
its a dead give away. totally kills the illusion. if the widgets are on the right, you automatically know its a windows box.
True - but one can use WindowBLinds themes and have widgets wherever one wants

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2004, 07:25 PM

True - but one can use WindowBLinds themes and have widgets wherever one wants

The utterly revolting font rendering gives that away instantly not to mention some nasty inaccuracies

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 01:44 PM

you're just plain rude. i don't get why you'd want to tear people down so venomously. didn't you learn any manners when you were a kid? or maybe that's what you are? just an ill-mannered kid? these forums are great, no question, but some rotten apples can really spoil the *fun*. it's supposed to be *fun*, right? you won't see me posting in this thread again.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Ji Eun:
you're just plain rude. i don't get why you'd want to tear people down so venomously. didn't you learn any manners when you were a kid? or maybe that's what you are? just an ill-mannered kid? these forums are great, no question, but some rotten apples can really spoil the *fun*. it's supposed to be *fun*, right? you won't see me posting in this thread again.
He's just a zealot, don't mind him. You'll see them scattered about the forums. It's life.

Chris

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 07:37 PM

hardly a zealot I own two pc's and 1 mac its just all the windows customisation i have seen in this thread has been crap can't believe you wasted precious hours of the day on that

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 07:46 PM

He is right about the font difference.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
He is right about the font difference.
Not really. Windows font rendering is fine, his desktop icons just happen to be using a corrupt version of the font, thats why it's nasty looking. The rest of his fonts are fine. I had the same version of Lucida Grande, but I cleaned out my fonts folder recently

And sushiism, you're just a stick in the mud. The desktop's in this thread look fine, I'm sorry windows doesnt have quartz to make the window borders and text all 'perfect'. But longhorn will have a superior rendering engine (demo's have already been shown, that's how I can make that comment).

Yeah, I know, Longhorn is 2 years away. Oh well I'll have a mac by then

Chris

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2004, 10:16 PM

No seriously, you can tell the difference.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 02:16 PM

Let's keep this thread alive!

*Click for larger version*

The new finder clones are getting good

Chris

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 04:31 PM

you can tell the difference between fonts extremely easily.
a) biggest give away is lack of proper anti-alias on the title bars, cleartype isnt the same as regular anti-alias.
b) if any text is anti-aliased then theres usually the dirty edges to it where the cleartype is added. When you turn the osx alternative to these on its not as volatile as the windows version.
c) Fonts are often the wrong ones and the kerning is off and the size is wrong
d) the anti-alias engine is terrible, look at the sidebar on that OSX.jpg, the text is borderline illegible I mean you've got letters with the edges chewed off in very specific places it just makes it harder to read than full on anti-alias.

Generally after staring at Quartz anti-aliasing and font rendering all day the windows XP fonts are very hard on the eyes. If you don't own a mac you probably wont notice thats why 98% of the time its the windows users saying "IT LOOKS JUST LIKE OS X" when it looks nothing like it.

Thats the problem with dedicating your desktop to an emulation of something else, the slightest differences render the whole thing as utter **** this is why you should strive for originality if you customise your desktop

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 05:53 PM

Let's keep this thread alive!

*Click for larger version*

The new finder clones are getting good

Chris
Yes. Now we need icons. After that, it will look 95% like a Mac. Heck, with icons and no huge Recycle Bin, it would probably fool me, at least at a distance!
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Makki
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 11:10 PM

At first i was like doh this is Macnn not Pcnn btw hehe. But then i thought about it and this is how i started and now i own my very own Mac so why should i have a prob with someone having that oppurtunity.

Take Care
Makki
( Last edited by Makki; May 7, 2004 at 11:18 PM. )

mikeini
Forum Regular
May 8, 2004, 03:49 AM

Crni - any chance you could post a pic of that wallpaper. i saw teh vdub vector off neowin, but it wasnt the "wider-lense" version, just the vdub in the middle and i like your's better.

thanks!!

mike

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by mikeini:
Crni - any chance you could post a pic of that wallpaper. i saw teh vdub vector off neowin, but it wasnt the "wider-lense" version, just the vdub in the middle and i like your's better.

thanks!!

mike
Wide Version

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 8, 2004, 10:20 AM

you can tell the difference between fonts extremely easily.
a) biggest give away is lack of proper anti-alias on the title bars, cleartype isnt the same as regular anti-alias.
b) if any text is anti-aliased then theres usually the dirty edges to it where the cleartype is added. When you turn the osx alternative to these on its not as volatile as the windows version.
c) Fonts are often the wrong ones and the kerning is off and the size is wrong
d) the anti-alias engine is terrible, look at the sidebar on that OSX.jpg, the text is borderline illegible I mean you've got letters with the edges chewed off in very specific places it just makes it harder to read than full on anti-alias.

Generally after staring at Quartz anti-aliasing and font rendering all day the windows XP fonts are very hard on the eyes. If you don't own a mac you probably wont notice thats why 98% of the time its the windows users saying "IT LOOKS JUST LIKE OS X" when it looks nothing like it.

Thats the problem with dedicating your desktop to an emulation of something else, the slightest differences render the whole thing as utter **** this is why you should strive for originality if you customise your desktop
I admit anti-aliasing on windows isnt perfect yet, but it's perfectly legible. I dont know where your eyes are, but the sidepane text is fine. Me personally, I prefer plain old tahoma, font's that arnt anti-aliased are far easier on the eyes. I know the font's arnt the same as OS X. At least we windows users have the options to use different fonts throughout the system and arnt stuck with Lucida Grande. I prefer Arial, or Trebuchet MS over Lucida Grande.

The reason the Lucida Grande text has kerning issues is because we windows users dont have a true copy of the font, just converted versions which arnt close to the real thing cause they've been exported wrong, or messed up somehow during conversion.

Anyways, I like my PC. It's fast and fun to customize!

*sorry if this post doesnt make sense, I'm far to hungover to care about grammar issues *

Chris

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2004, 04:50 PM

While Microsoft is "getting there" OS X took a quantum leap in GUI design... and it's only after three major releases that it's starting to really come in to focus. The consistency from App to App is simply amazing.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2004, 04:52 PM

I prefer Arial, or Trebuchet MS over Lucida Grande.
Most non artistic people do...

Forum Links
Forum Rules