Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can somebody explain the term "resolution Independent?

Can somebody explain the term "resolution Independent? (Page 2)
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by qnxde:
The frameworks for it are already in place in 10.4 by the looks of it. There us a UI to control it in Quartz Debug. Here's a couple of screenshots:

http://www.purrrr.net/temp/quartzdebug.png
http://www.purrrr.net/temp/applications.png

It's still pretty buggy - changes only affect newly opened apps, hence why I could get multiple apps at different scalefactors (0.5 for text edit up to 1.75 I think for Safari), and there are a lot of display glitches. But clearly, they're working on it
In case people are curious, you do NOT want your whole system at 3X zoom in the WWDC build. It took me hours to get my system to boot without freezing after doing that.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by protomech:
Let's hope for SVG-based icons with a high-res artwork fallback :-)
SVG? Why would Apple want to use a dodgy Adobe technology when they have PDF built in?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by sambeau:
SVG? Why would Apple want to use a dodgy Adobe technology when they have PDF built in?

SVG is a W3C standard.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 09:23 AM

<-

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 10:29 AM

PDF *is* a dodgy Adobe technology.. ehm Why not use another one?

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 11:17 AM

<====

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 01:02 PM

<-
And my point was, that SVG is not from Adobe - they make a plug-in, support the format and is in the working group, but it's not theirs and never was.

or no

JLL

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
SVG is a W3C standard.
True, but it's also one that Apple seems to want to avoid at all costs. I've no clue why; the same people behind KHTML, the engine behind WebCore, also make a nice SVG library that likely wouldn't take a terribly huge amount of time to port.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 01:21 PM

Didn't LiveMotion export to svg?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
True, but it's also one that Apple seems to want to avoid at all costs. I've no clue why; the same people behind KHTML, the engine behind WebCore, also make a nice SVG library that likely wouldn't take a terribly huge amount of time to port.
Perhaps because David Hyatt doesn't seem to like SVG that much:

"A second complaint leveled against us was over the canvas tag, namely that it should have been done using SVG. My response to this is simple. Go to the w3c Web site and print out the SVG specification. Twenty minutes later, after you've killed a few dozen trees, then maybe you'll have an appreciation for why this wasn't practical.

Remember that SVG would have forced the use of XHTML, which had all the problems outlined above. Now add to that time the amount of work that would be required to get even a rudimentary SVG implementation going. Now factor in the time it would have taken to make that implementation perform well enough when compared with a programmatic counterpart like the canvas. Canvas only took a handful of days to implement. SVG would take months to implement."
JLL

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 9, 2004, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
http://www.purrrr.net/temp/quartzdebug.png
Huh? OS X is built for 72 dpi? That makes no sense.

OS X "feels" like it's built for 96 ppi, and Apple itself says the proper resolution is 100 ppi.

Heady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Huh? OS X is built for 72 dpi? That makes no sense.

OS X "feels" like it's built for 96 ppi, and Apple itself says the proper resolution is 100 ppi.
The Mac OS has always had a fixed resolution of 72 dpi, all the way back to 1984 (of course, back then the physical resolution of the Mac's display was actally 72 dpi, so the OS matched the display for true WYSIWYG). This means that the system interprets a pixel as measuring 1/72th of an inch (which is a PostScript point) -- that's why 12-point type measures 12 pixels on-screen, whatever your monitor's resolution is (except in most web browsers because they mimic the Windows behavior where 1 pixel = 1/96th of an inch).

So yes, Mac OS X is "built for" 72 dpi, in the sense that currently, its mechanism for mapping real-world measurements to screen pixels uses a fixed 72 dpi resolution. In practice Mac OS X is not really designed for 72 dpi displays, and for a good reason: these displays don't exist anymore (mostly). The average monitor's pixel density is significantly higher than that. So they scaled the interface up a bit to compensate for that, but the system's resolution hasn't changed.

That's why resolution independence at the OS level is a good thing -- it will take full advantage of the monitor's resolution (100 dpi today, but eventually we'll have 300 dpi) without making the GUI illegibly small, and we'll get WYSIWYG display back at the same time.

-Heady

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 10:49 AM

This thread got me searching for ways to make SVG objects... check out this application:

http://www.xstreamsoftware.com/rapid...escription.htm

Gee... that's not FlashMX Professional is it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules