Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hard Drive Capacity Incorrect

Hard Drive Capacity Incorrect
Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2004, 07:07 PM

I just moved one of my other hard drives back into my machine. It's a 120 GB hard drive, but the computer reads it as 31.5 GB. Is there a way I can get my computer to recognize the true capacity of this hard drive? Thanks.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
I just moved one of my other hard drives back into my machine. It's a 120 GB hard drive, but the computer reads it as 31.5 GB. Is there a way I can get my computer to recognize the true capacity of this hard drive? Thanks.
This is what happened to a HD (120 gig IBM) froma Mirror Door Drive G4... weird ****. Half of it died.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 08:31 AM

Run either the disk utility and see what it says under the smart information (I forget the exact wording as I'm not on my mac now)

If that isn't helpful then run AHT cd and see if it comes up with anything.

sounds like your drive is going south.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2004, 08:34 AM

Double check the pin settings. I had one drive that for some reason had a pin setting that limited its size. Maybe you applied the jumpers with the drive upside down? (I did that just the other day-- duh.)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2004, 07:18 PM

The drive is not "going south" -- when hard drives die, losing part of the capacity (but otherwise working fine) is not one of the failure modes.

It's either a misplaced jumper (as chris v suggested), or a run of the mill incompatibility (they're rare, but they do happen).

tooki

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2004, 01:54 AM

Thanks for all your help!

What I originally did was take it out and put it in my PC after zeroing it on the format because I wanted to replace the aging 40 GB hard drive in there. By that process alone the drive shrunk, and there's some sort of incompatibility there that may have triggered the shrinkage.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Jansar:
Thanks for all your help!

What I originally did was take it out and put it in my PC after zeroing it on the format because I wanted to replace the aging 40 GB hard drive in there. By that process alone the drive shrunk, and there's some sort of incompatibility there that may have triggered the shrinkage.
hehe, you said shrinkage.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2004, 04:10 AM

LOL

Forum Links
Forum Rules