Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook SE 366mhz hard drive

ibook SE 366mhz hard drive
MAC365
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2004, 12:47 PM

Its time to replace the 6 gb hard drive on my ibook.

It has an 'EIDE ATA Bus' and the 20 gb hard drive I want to fit is an 'Ultra ATA/100 interface'.

Are they compatible ?

thanks

Dr.Michael
Dec 16, 2004, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:
Its time to replace the 6 gb hard drive on my ibook.

It has an 'EIDE ATA Bus' and the 20 gb hard drive I want to fit is an 'Ultra ATA/100 interface'.

Are they compatible ?

thanks
Yes, the new hd will work.
9.5 mm height is important but all newer hds have that size.
And consider a large enough hd, because the exchange is not really easy. See http://www.caslis.net/mac/ibook/ for a great manual.

One question. How does osx run on your iBook. Did you try linux?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 08:10 AM

It'll work great since it's the same interface, just a different name and in theory a bit faster.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

MAC365  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 01:04 PM

"It'll work great since it's the same interface, just a different name and in theory a bit faster. "

Thanks for clearing that up.

My original confusion was because I looked at the specs of my ibook on the 'Apple history' website and it said the hard drive of my ibook was an EIDE drive, and the other ibooks were ATA. I did not realize EIDE was just another name for ATA, just to confuse everyone. My 'system profiler' says ATA though, for some extra confusion. I did suspect it was ATA but then there was also that 'ULTRA' part of 'ultra ATA', not to mention other stuff like IDE, ATA 2, ATA 3, ATA 4, fast ATA, ATAPI. (eek !)

"See http://www.caslis.net/mac/ibook/ for a great manual.

Thats really good but how difficult is that procedure!!! Thanks apple for such an easily upgradable component. Would it not have been better to make it accessible from underneath with a removable panel?

"One question. How does osx run on your iBook. Did you try linux?"

Never tried Linux. OS X Jag is brilliant on my ibook. No performance issues to note; I'm very impressed with it. I have 320mb memory which helps. It needs a bigger drive though so it looks like its going to have an operation soon.

I'm thinking of getting the Seagate momentus drive. Are they any good?

Dr.Michael
Dec 17, 2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by MAC365:

"One question. How does osx run on your iBook. Did you try linux?"

Never tried Linux. OS X Jag is brilliant on my ibook. No performance issues to note; I'm very impressed with it. I have 320mb memory which helps. It needs a bigger drive though so it looks like its going to have an operation soon.

I'm thinking of getting the Seagate momentus drive. Are they any good?
Good to read this. Usually linux is a bit faster than Mac OS.

I always used IBM/Hitachi drives. They are very good and silent since they use new bearings (fluid I think). I also have good experiences with Toshiba. From my former work with new drives I think it will make a great improvement to your iBook if you use at least a 5400rpm drive, better 7.2k.

Forum Links
Forum Rules