Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple strikes deal with homebuilder

Apple strikes deal with homebuilder
George Masters
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 08:44 PM

Excerpt from press release:

BRESSI RANCH HOMES FEATURE
LATEST DIGITAL LIFESTYLE TECHNOLOGY

CARLSBAD, CA - Showing that it’s in tune with today’s homebuyer, Lennar’s exciting new communities in Bressi Ranch will include the latest digital lifestyle technology from Apple Computer, Inc.

The new homes will feature Apple’s iBook G4 laptop computers, loaded with iLife ’05, Apple’s award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, featuring the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, GarageBand and iTunes. Additionally, the homes are equipped with Apple’s Airport Express with AirTunes -- plus a three-year comprehensive support package.

For more information, please visit www.BressiRanch.com.

If you would like to see a video that is played on an ibook in the model homes click here:

http://homepage.mac.com/georgemasters/lennar.html

(The video is encoded with the new h264 codec so be sure you have the new QT7 player).

If successful it could mean large sales of Apple branded equipment and increased market share through a new distribution channel.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 09:09 PM

Holy Cr*p! That's beyond cool! I wish they'd take it a step further and make a kind of smart home. Maybe this is the first step?

damit! I don't have QT7, stupid Windows.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 10:38 PM

How much are these homes? $1m+?

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 11:25 PM

Yeah? So? These homebuilders build-in AirPort and a home theater audio system. Nothing that anyone else couldn't do for $500.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 11:41 PM

That's a good start.

Years ago, didn't new homes wire with CAT5 cables? However, it didn't last or too early to enter the market.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 11:43 PM

Yeah, why is this a big deal?

It seems as if the builder simply installed wireless internet and raised the price of his house $2000 to cover the cost of the equipment/labor. I guess it's good for idiots who have no idea about wireless internet, but then again - that's just more work for Apple customer service. n:

Let's see some cool sh1t like X11 controlled homes run by a PowerMac that controls the home theater system, sprinklers, a/c...

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Semi-Custom Estate Homes
4,985 to 6,280 Square Feet
4-5 Bedrooms
3.5 to 5.5 Baths
Pricing Anticipated pricing from the mid $1,000,000's

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 19, 2005, 12:02 AM

Man, that's REALLY lame.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 19, 2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal

Peanuts if you get paid in Euro.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 12:55 AM

I wonder if they turn men's wives into robots aswell?

George Masters  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 03:07 AM

Please keep in mind that as you are reading stories on a Mac Rumors Website, you are likely a sophisticated mac user who already has a similar setup. As we know, there are many out there who are uninitiated to the Mac universe and this could be an interessting way to introduce them to the products we all know and love. Lennar is not substantially marking up Apple's products. The idea is to give homeowner's something more than the bare bones. I think it is a great place to start.

vexborg
Senior User
May 19, 2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Peanuts if you get paid in Euro.
Or in £
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
May 19, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by George Masters
... For more information, please visit www.BressiRanch.com. ...
Hmmm, after peeking at a few of the homes I'm not really convinced that this is such a wonderful thing. The impression I got is pretty much the exact opposite of what Apple wants its products to be known for - the homes look generic, boring and anything but innovative. But hey, as long as it's got 28 bathrooms and a 34 car garage, it must be great - right?

And iBook(s)/Aiport(s) for a $1,000,000 home?

That's like a promo for "Buy a Maybach today and we'll throw in a free iPod Shuffle."

George Masters  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 09:26 AM

MacNN is not really a rumor site, but I stand by my post regardless.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 01:50 PM

Sounds like a very good first start.

Welcome to MacNN, George Masters.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 02:20 PM

I wonder if Apple will help me out with my little project

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2006, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't want that low-end crap in my million dollar home.

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
I wouldn't want that low-end crap in my million dollar home.
What would you choose to use, instead?

rparke1
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:01 PM

apple just put out some patients for touchscreen stuff. maybe these are the first steps into a full apple house with touch screen controls ects?

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by rparke1
apple just put out some patients for touchscreen stuff. maybe these are the first steps into a full apple house with touch screen controls ects?
You can do that now, with one of THESE touch screens and a Mac Mini , perhaps fastened to the wall LIKE SO .

rparke1
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:21 PM

i would want something that is completly flushed in the wall and BIGGER than 7 inchs maybe like 10 or 12 inchs. hmmm, use the panels for the 12'' powerbooks, make them with high res and touchscreen capable and have it hooked up to a "house maiframe" that you can control from the monitor, turn on heat, sprinklers ect. have these scatered around the house. itd be awesome. can have security cameras you can watch on the screen too, touch a certain spot on the monitor and you can see the differant cameras, choose one and its full screen than click back to the all view. hmmm, thatd be awesome. just some of my thoughts. any that you have?

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rparke1
i would want something that is completly flushed in the wall and BIGGER than 7 inchs maybe like 10 or 12 inchs...and have it hooked up to a "house maiframe" that you can control from the monitor, turn on heat, sprinklers ect... have security cameras you can watch on the screen too, touch a certain spot on the monitor and you can see the differant cameras, choose one and its full screen than click back to the all view.
Okay, then flush-mount a 12" Touchscreen , running Indigo for home automation and SecuritySpy for surveillance.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:49 PM

:yawn:

Wait four years and everything is VERY old technology. Houses last hundreds of years and they are fitting them with items on the low end that are nearly outdate already.

A new house is a blank canvas. The homeowner should dictate what technology would be integrated into the house. I know if I bought a $1mil home I wouldn't give squat about an iBook being included. But give me highly energy efficient heating and cooling or energy saving windows and I will be a VERY happy man.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:49 PM

Oh, and does this thread feel like spam to anyone else?

rparke1
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Aeolius
Okay, then flush-mount a 12" Touchscreen , running Indigo for home automation and SecuritySpy for surveillance.
i think id rather have a 23'' than a 12''

those technologies look awesome. thank you for posting the links.

rparke1
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:52 PM

dp ß

rparke1
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Oh, and does this thread feel like spam to anyone else?
no

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 03:55 PM

Wait four years and everything is VERY old technology. Houses last hundreds of years and they are fitting them with items on the low end that are nearly outdate already... But give me highly energy efficient heating and cooling or energy saving windows and I will be a VERY happy man.
That's why I've been looking at Mac-based home automation... I can always upgrade Macs, as new ones are released. As for energy efficiency, that's another good use for "smart home" technology; interactive thermostats that can tell how warm it is outside or adjust for different parameters at different times of day.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aeolius
That's why I've been looking at Mac-based home automation... I can always upgrade Macs, as new ones are released.
Why not a platform independent system? You'd be screwed if you bought one based on OS 9 today.
As for energy efficiency, that's another good use for "smart home" technology; interactive thermostats that can tell how warm it is outside or adjust for different parameters at different times of day.
Been around a long time. My budget furnace from 1990 has that feature.

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 05:33 PM

Why not a platform independent system? You'd be screwed if you bought one based on OS 9 today.
Because I want to avoid expensive proprietary solutions like Lutron , Crestron , or HAI .

SecuritySpy and Indigo both have web interfaces and widgets. That suitably impresses me. If I use a current Mac Mini to drive a touchscreen and a new model is released, all I have to do is sell the old Mac Mini and buy a new one. The same applies to any hardware; pop out the old one and plug in a new one. Granted, the backbone will still be CAT6/CAT5e/RG6... but wireless technology is advancing every day.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 05:43 PM

I said "platform independent". "Not proprietary solution".

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 05:55 PM

I said "platform independent". "Not proprietary solution".
No worries.. I want to avoid having a Windows machine in my house - simple as that. Most of the solutions mentioned in my post above have a Windows interface, for customization. I'd rather have a Mac OS platform-dependant solution.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 11, 2006, 06:01 PM

What are you going to do when Apple switches OS in a few years? Like when they went from OS 9 to OS X?

But hey, it's your money.

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 06:06 PM

What are you going to do when Apple switches OS in a few years? Like when they went from OS 9 to OS X?
Let's see... I upgraded my bondi blue iMac and blue&white G3 from OS9 to OS X... no worries. I'll have the wired backbone in place; the rest is upgradeable.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 08:16 PM

Besides, it's not like current computers automatically shut down and self-destruct when new ones come out. As long as the hard drives don't die, once the system is set up it'll keep running for 20 years, if needed (and with a suitable backup system in place, the hard drives can die and be replaced indefinitely).
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 08:17 PM

Forget X11-- It's old technology, and not the best for modern home automation. (Modulating electrical pulses in your home's electrical system, which could be misinterpreted for power fluctuations-- Why? Why not simply use a data interface, which is what data is meant for?)

And forget adapting a desktop system to serve as a home mainframe. What houses need are modular custom built systems systems specifically meant to be home servers. Equip the house with the latest data cable interface (probably ethernet now), but let the cabling be easily replaceable for future upgrades. Build an area in the wall for the mainframe and main interface. Have data conduits as available as AC conduits (or ideally integrated with, so it would be one cable).

Forget about having to connect your DVD player and DVR to your TV, just connect them both to a data conduit. Then set them up logically via the mainframe interface. When the mainframe gets too old, since it is modular, it can be easily replaced by another, as well as the cabling and the devices. Even built in panels, like light and fan switches can be replaced easily. A mainframe should last much longer than a desktop, since you're using it for house tasks that don't change too much.

Of course, this would require the cooperation of a plethora of consumer companies, which would be a miracle in itself. But it could be done. Of course, apart from a wired interface, these devices could use existing (and future) wireless protocols, with encryption, allowing for remote video cameras, and an interface with portable devices.

But, the point of a mainframe would be to be able to manage and link up all of your devices from one interface. Since the mainframe is doing the heavy work, all the devices need to do is pass data to and obey commands from the mainframe. Devices could have built-in "solo" behaviors in case of a mainframe malfunction or downtime.

This has been and continues to be a hope of mine for someday, but as I said, it could never really work without some major company cooperation. Building your own solution can be fun and useful, but the type of interconnectivity I propose is far beyond the reach of any single custom solution.

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

The latest in McMansion technology is upon us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules