Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook won't boot after SMC Firmware Update

Macbook won't boot after SMC Firmware Update
Eicon5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 10:43 PM

I did the SMC Firmware Update and then my computer restarted. Everything was fine. I then downloaded a software update which asked for a restart when it finished. Now my Macbook won't boot up!

Has anyone else had any problems with this SMC firmware update?

I'm assuming it's an issue with the firmware upgrade I did first and not the software update (the software update was for Quicktime, iMovie, iDVD, FrontRow, and a Security Update).

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 10:58 PM

MacBook or MacBook Pro.....

Eicon5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 11:01 PM

Pro

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 12:00 AM

Mine started fine; just no difference I can see to the way it was. Still HOT.
What update did you run after the SMC?

Rumz
Forum Regular
May 19, 2006, 03:17 PM

What happens, exactly?

Before the firmware update but after a few other updates earlier this week, my macbook would freeze upon booting into OS X (Windows still ran fine, never froze-- ironic eh?)

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=295421

The new firmware was released *after* I had this problem, and since I didn't have time for any more problems, I've not installed the firmware update yet. In any case, the solution to my problem was apparently to remove version cue cs2 from my machine-- though your problem might be entirely different. Does it not boot at all or does it freeze upon getting to a certain point in bootup? (login screen, just after logging in, etc). Can you boot into safe mode by chance?
MacBook Pro: 2.16ghz, 2GB, 100GB@7200RPM

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2006, 09:03 PM

This is a known issue with Abode Version Cue as a startup item. Remove the item and you'll be fine. I think there are instructions in Apple's discussion boards.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2006, 01:37 AM

I just noticed that the SMC update actually did fix something.

When you attached a sleeping MBP to a monitor and then to a keyboard it would wake up before power was attached. Right after a few seconds it would then go back to sleep. Also, when you were working in closed lid mode and you removed the power, the MBP wouldn't immediately go to sleep. It could take up to a minute or to till it realized power was gone and it should sleep.

Now these issues are gone. The MBP wakes only when power is connected and once power is removed it sleeps at once.

kenazo
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 06:47 AM

I had a similar problem with my MBP. It would boot up but the login screen was frozen and details could not be entered. Booted up in single user mode (hold down shift key), removed startup items and then it worked fine.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I just noticed that the SMC update actually did fix something.

When you attached a sleeping MBP to a monitor and then to a keyboard it would wake up before power was attached. Right after a few seconds it would then go back to sleep. Also, when you were working in closed lid mode and you removed the power, the MBP wouldn't immediately go to sleep. It could take up to a minute or to till it realized power was gone and it should sleep.
Slightly off topic, but I'm curious, why hs Apple done it so power has to be attached for lid closed mode to work?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2006, 07:19 AM

I don't know, but I imagine the situations when one would be using clamshell mode on battery power are pretty limited. After all, you need not only a monitor, but also a keyboard and mouse, but you can't plug your computer in?

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 03:46 PM

what exactly is Apple sayign this firmware update fixes? Seems impossible to find in depth info at their web site. Or I am seach skill challenged. The latter I suspect.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Slightly off topic, but I'm curious, why hs Apple done it so power has to be attached for lid closed mode to work?
IIRC, its power is just required for closed lid mode and DVI displays. Closed lid mode with VGA displays, I think, works on battery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules