Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quick query befor I archive & reinstall

Quick query befor I archive & reinstall
fallingman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 01:32 PM

Hi all.

I've decided to do a reinstall of OS X as I've been pottering around with my new MBP and managed to mess a few things up while figuring out how certain things work (I'm a recent convert to macs)

I'd like to reinstall OS X to wipe a few slates clean (my keychain, iphoto etc) however some things I want to keep as they are (iWeb, iTunes etc). My question is this:

I understand I can Archive and Reinstall (Great Feature!) but am I able to take that one step further and choose exactly what I want backed up and what I want formatted?

I'm a little nervous about starting the process before I know exactly what I want to do.

Thanks for your help.

FM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2006, 01:39 PM

Everything will be backed up/archived. Hence the name. Your home folder and network settings will be kept in use (unless you uncheck that option). So you will keep your old keychain and iPhoto library. I don't see a problem there though. You can delete stuff out of your keychain with the Keychain program in /Applications/Utilities and you can simply trash your iPhoto library from your Pictures folder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules