Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWorks Pages: Copy and paste a text box locks the text!

iWorks Pages: Copy and paste a text box locks the text!
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 09:50 AM

Here is a strange one in Pages 2

- Select Insert > Text.
- Type some text in that box
- Click outside the document to hidden the cursor then click on the text box to select it
- Copy it and then paste it somewhere else.
- Now if I try to select the text inside that copied box, it selects the box itself and there is no way to change the text itself.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to allow that text to be edited?

Thank you for nay help.

Bo

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 10:01 AM

OK, I found the answer after some searching on the Apple boards. In case someone else runs into the problem, here is how to fix it:

For some bizarre reason, when you click on the text in the copied box, it selects the whole box instead of adding the cursor where you clicked. So you have to first double click on a word (which selects the word) and then single click again to get a cursor.

Go figure...

Note that in the original box, this is not an issue as you can get a cursor simply by clicking inside the text the way you normally would.

Bo

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 10:02 AM

It must have something to do with assigning focus of the cursor. If you place your cursor over any word in the new text box and double click it, you will be able to edit or insert new text. See if that works for you.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2006, 07:55 PM

Apple has not got the GUI in Pages and KeyNote right.

Not even in OSX Finder, where I find myself excessively clicking on frames and edges, away from objects and text just to make sure my selection takes what in I intended it to take.

There is a lot of trouble with getting the focus right not just in the text in Pages. They could simply fix this by having an object tool like every other graphics program.

How to burrow down through objects which are on top of each other is a puzzle that has me beat as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules