Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help! How do you "control Y" on a mac?!

Need help! How do you "control Y" on a mac?!
Rversion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 03:39 PM

As the title says I need to know how to "control Y" on a Macbook running OS X. At my job I am requird to update their webpage but to do so you must hit "control Y" while accessing site(on a windows system) to get to the admin screen. I have no idea what the equivalent key strokes would be for a macintosh. Ive searched endlessly trying to find the answer to this so if someone know the solution PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance

kick52
Baninated
Oct 27, 2006, 04:00 PM

wait... there isnt a control button on the macbook?

or i think you mean press "control" + "y"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 04:05 PM

What does control y do? It isn't doing anything on my HP workstation with 64-bit Windows.

Rversion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What does control y do? It isn't doing anything on my HP workstation with 64-bit Windows.
Ya, what I meant to say is "control" + "y" are the key stroked used on a windows system. I have a control button and..of course y on my macbook but the key strokes would be not be the same to access the html code on the website (i would assume since it doesnt do anything on this system).
There must be something that is the equivelant to bring up the admin screen. Thanks for the help

Oh and control Y wont neccessary do anything on a windown system unless the website is set up so that it triggers the html on the page. Its like a hidden trigger for admins only.

kick52
Baninated
Oct 27, 2006, 05:25 PM

haha. now i know how to get into your site.

what browser are you using?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 10:16 PM

Heh. Well, if you show us the page (or just email the text of the page -- do a File:Save As..., and then email it to me at mithras.the.prophet, which is a gmail account), I'm sure we can write up a javascript bookmarklet that will bring up the admin screen.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 11:47 AM

I'd assume this hidden trigger is an 'access-key' which work identically on a Mac, using the ctrl key, just like you can hit 'ctrl-4' on this page to open the search box or 'ctrl-2' to see new posts.

In the page's source code, can you see something to the extent of ' accesskey="y" '?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2006, 01:17 PM

Could there be a problem here because to right click you press ctrl and click and it's causing issues? It could be command + y seeing as how ctrl +c/v/x on a pc is cmd + c/v/x on a Mac.

Rversion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 07:33 PM

First of all sorry for the slow response time, been a busy weekend.

Ive tried "command + y" on the site and that doesnt work either. I have a ton of combinations to try and get command to trigger but have found nothing yet. To the guys who said "good job now I can access your site", yea that would be very useful if you knew what site I was talking about . Anyhow, it seems as if no easy answer is really out there. Im not sure how my boss would feel about someone adding a script to the site and possibly compromising its security. Thanks to all those trying to help and if anyone knows I am still all ears .

Oh yea, I am using safari as my browswer currently.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 28, 2006, 07:41 PM

What type of Mac do you have? I don't know whether the Pro KBs have a FN key but try pressing that with your key combinations.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rversion View Post
First of all sorry for the slow response time, been a busy weekend.

Ive tried "command + y" on the site and that doesnt work either. I have a ton of combinations to try and get command to trigger but have found nothing yet. To the guys who said "good job now I can access your site", yea that would be very useful if you knew what site I was talking about . Anyhow, it seems as if no easy answer is really out there. Im not sure how my boss would feel about someone adding a script to the site and possibly compromising its security. Thanks to all those trying to help and if anyone knows I am still all ears .

Oh yea, I am using safari as my browswer currently.

The Javascript bookmarklet that Mithras was talking wouldn't need any thing adding to the sites code. It would just be a bit of script on your Mac that when activated would send the correct response to the web-server, in effect an 'automated Control Y' key press.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 30, 2006, 02:57 PM

Since control-key combinations do work with Mac browsers, it is possible that the problem is browser-detection. Your site is probably checking what browser you visit with, and changing the HTML code somewhat for different browsers. The admin-key combination gets omitted in the page version sent to your Mac browser.

This (HTML specific to a browser) can be done to fix small display variations between different browsers, so that all the pretty pictures and tables line up. But it's been used before to lock non-IE browsers out of sites. Today, they use it a lot to lock people out of Flash-infested sites if you turn off your Flash plugin in order to fight back.

Anyway, go into your browser's ID section and switch it to ID itself as your previous browser. Likely IE6/Windows. Then restart your browser and visit the site again. Or try a few other Mac browsers, like Firefox. One of them may get the admin accesskey enabled. Or use the javascript bookmarklet, which will send back the proper key even if the page didn't supply it to your browser in the page code.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 31, 2006, 06:06 AM

Now hold on folks.

Control-key combinations on Windows translate to command-key combinations on the Mac. These are application- or OS-level commands that cannot be defined in or by a web page.

In browsers, alt-key combinations on Windows translate to control-key combinations in Mac browsers. These can be defined in web pages via the access-key tags.

So it sounds like here, we're talking about an application-level keystroke. Most likely it's some kind of browser plugin or something, or maybe an ActiveX control. ::shudder::

jyunderwood
Oct 31, 2006, 12:35 PM

Well try it on your windows computer and see if it doesn't take you to a different url after you login. It might be the programmers way of not having to have an admin login link on the page.

And also Control-Y in most windows apps is redo after you undo something. that would be command-control-z... I don't know if that would help any.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 1, 2006, 06:08 AM

"Redo" is either command-Y or command-shift-Z, depending on the application.

tooki

KEL9000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 06:38 PM

have you tried firefox?
I am now going to tell the computer what he can do with a life-times supply of chocolate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules