Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connecting the Wii to the Mac Pro

Connecting the Wii to the Mac Pro
bmn
May 5, 2007, 06:38 AM

I am about to get a Mac Pro or iMac (gotta love the education discount). Just wondering what you would use to connect composite cables to the beast.

kick52
Baninated
May 5, 2007, 08:59 AM

you mean hook the wii up to view on your mac?
you will need software and hardware for that.
eyetv is a good one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2007, 12:14 PM

EyeTV hybrid is probably the best way to go... it's designed to be low-latency for game consoles and such.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2007, 06:42 PM

If you get an iMac, then this will give a few answers about hooking up a console. If you get a Mac Pro, then make sure the screen you get has component input for the Wii as well as the VGA or DVI for the Mac, then you will be able to switch the screen display between Wii and Mac.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hotdogsoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
If you get an iMac, then this will give a few answers about hooking up a console. If you get a Mac Pro, then make sure the screen you get has component input for the Wii as well as the VGA or DVI for the Mac, then you will be able to switch the screen display between Wii and Mac.
Good advice. I have my xbox 360 connected to the same monitor that I use for my Mac Pro. I use a VGA cable for my game system and a dvi for my mac. I have a LG LG226wt monitor, and just press a button to switch between the two inputs on my monitor. The only thing after that you have to worry about is the sound. You can connect the wii directly to your PC speakers or you can plug it in to the audio IN on your mac and get sound through there, you just be aware that your mac will need to be on to hear the audio.
Mac Pro
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
2 GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
LG 22" Wide Screen Monitor: Model# L226WT

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 03:10 PM

I've got 360 and G4 both connected to a Dell 2407.

Sound? hehe, yeah if I had them both on at the same time, I wouldn't hear any sound because of the fans !

I've got 2 sets of speakers set up, USB Soundsticks on the Mac, and a set of cheap PC 2.1 speakers (Packard Bell!!) for the Xbox.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules