Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare or RAM?

AppleCare or RAM?
newbiemacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 04:07 AM

So I found out today that if you get AppleCare you cannot use/install third party memory, and the prices of Apple's RAM upgrades are ridiculous. I want to upgrade to 2 GB for my MacBook, but I also want to have the extended coverage of AppleCare. What do you guys think would be the better choice and be the pros and cons of each one? thanks

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 05:31 AM

Yes you can. Installed 3rd party RAM does NOT void your warranty or keep you from being eligible for AppleCare. Buy Crucial or Kingston.... they're as cheap as $25 a GB nowadays.

Trust me, I used to work for Apple. And, if you're really paranoid, just keep your stock ram and put it back in if you need service. (easy install)

Sethro
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 06:20 PM

Agreed, its always a good idea to keep the stock RAM that came with your Macbook. I'm also pretty sure that Apple wont care if you have installed third party RAM.

Good luck and enjoy your Macbook

tintin220
Aug 6, 2007, 10:31 PM

Where did you hear that?

In fact, on the MacBook, component installation is SO easy with its new system that both RAM and the hard drive are user-serviceable without voiding your warranty.

I recommend that you go to OWC. You can get 2GB sets for about $100 (or if you really have cash on hand, 4GB for about twice that much).
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

turntabletux
Aug 7, 2007, 01:18 PM

I am in the same boat. I want to upgrade from 1GB of memory to 2GB. I went to the apple store and the guy said that it does not void the warranty. If you decided to go with apple then you'd have to pay the installation fee as well. Another good site for RAM would be TigerDirect

or if you really have cash on hand, 4GB for about twice that much
I thought that the macbook only supports up to 2GB? If it can hold 4GB then I would definitley spend the extra money for that!

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

newbiemacman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 08:15 PM

that's weird. I just spoke to a representative over the phone and they said any third party RAm installed would void the warranty.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by newbiemacman View Post
that's weird. I just spoke to a representative over the phone and they said any third party RAm installed would void the warranty.
You can replace RAM and a HD in any Mac without voiding the warranty.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2007, 08:43 PM

this is why you, appropriately enough, call yourself "newbiemacman"

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 09:01 PM

Well, anything that's accessible without taking apart the whole computer won't void the warranty if replaced. For the Mac Pro, that would be hard to void. The iMac and the MBP, only the RAM. The MacBook, the HDD and RAM. Not sure about the Mac mini, though, since it's so easy to disassemble...
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2007, 02:56 AM

Mac mini RAM is "not user accessible" according to Apple, so that is just about the only case that will void your warranty.

Another instance is the upper slot of the iMac G4. The bottom slot is user accessible though.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 07:13 AM

On the MacBook, the ram and the hard drive are considered user replaceable components and using third party will not void your warranty. Of course if you break something while installing the ram, apple will not cover the expense to repair that damage, but just putting it in there in of itself does not void it.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
Mac mini RAM is "not user accessible" according to Apple, so that is just about the only case that will void your warranty.

Another instance is the upper slot of the iMac G4. The bottom slot is user accessible though.
Also incorrect. Mac mini RAM can be user-upgraded without voiding the warranty. Only if you break something inside does it void your warranty. I got a brand new Mac mini (cause mine had broken) after upgrading the RAM and even not putting any screws back in!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2007, 03:50 PM

So I found out today that if you get AppleCare you cannot use/install third party memory, and the prices of Apple's RAM upgrades are ridiculous. I want to upgrade to 2 GB for my MacBook, but I also want to have the extended coverage of AppleCare. What do you guys think would be the better choice and be the pros and cons of each one? thanks
Get AppleCare first (so you don't have to worry about it later) and buy RAM whenever you have the cash. Buy it from Newegg.com, since you can get a 1GB stick for 40 dollars plus shipping.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2007, 07:50 AM

Here is how it works:

Get your RAM wherever you want. Save the Apple RAM. If you ever need to send the Mac in to Apple, swap out your 3rd party RAM for the original Apple RAM (and remove any other 3rd party parts-like an upgraded HD, etc.). That way you won't be asking Apple to diagnose a problem that might be caused by non-Apple parts.

I've done this procedure before on the rare occasion when I've had to send my Mac to Apple for repair.
And don't forget to backup the data on your hard drive. Apple might have to initialize the drive and they won't backup your data first unless you pay them to do it. Even then, it only makes sense to have a good backup before shipping your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules