Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook or iMac?

MacBook or iMac?
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 09:04 PM

Hey, Guys,

I just purchased this mint condition 5 month old White MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz for $650 on eBay.

I plan to use it for the next couple of weeks, see if I like the screen size and everything, and then check out the new iMacs when they arrive August 7th. Then, if i want one (which I know I will) I'll sell my MacBook (easily profitable, I could sell for as much as $1000.) and I'll buy an iMac.

I know that when the new iMacs come out I'll want one really bad, so I need some reinforcements. I want you guys to tell me if your MacBook screens are too small, if you think that you could stand doing video editing on them, and if you think that a much bigger screen is a good tradeoff for the portability of the MacBook. In short, should I go for the new iMac or hang on the the 'Book?

Thanks a lot!

ibook_steve
Jul 26, 2007, 10:18 PM

Um...what new iMacs?

Steve

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 11:41 PM

The new iMacs that are heavily rumored to come out on August 7th.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2007, 02:49 AM

Well, it depends on how mobile you need to be. For example, my MacBook is indespensable; since I don't live near campus I take it with me everyday to class to check/complete assignments, email, etc.

ibook_steve
Jul 27, 2007, 01:49 PM

I guess it also depends on how much faith you put in a rumor. ;-)

If I had gotten the deal you got, I'd stick with the MacBook!

Steve

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 01:52 PM

Well basically, my question is, would you trade selling for a $200 profit and getting a bigger screen, and hard drive, and probably faster computer for portability? I won't be moving around MUCH, but it is still a nice thing to have.

And whether the rumor is true doesn't really matter. iMacs are coming out at some point, and when that happens, this applies.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 27, 2007, 10:10 PM

Option 1: Keep the MacBook, forget the iMac

Well, you can hook up your MacBook to an external monitor for an extended desktop experience. This will give you more screen real estate to work on.... If your mobile work really requires video editing (like at a video shoot) then keep the MacBook.

You can do light video editing and video previewing on the MacBook then get back to the home or office and connect to an external monitor for an extended desktop. Then you can do some serious video work with that setup.

That MacBook sounds like a bargain. I would keep it at that bargain price.

Like jamil5454 sez, if you really need the mobility, keep the MacBook.

Otherwise, you can do your video shoot and then go back to the office/home to do the video editing.

Option 2: sell off the MacBook and get the iMac

Do you really need to video edit on the road? If you're shooting video, you can always preview on your camera's LCD screen then go back to the office to do the video editing on the iMac. The iMac's processor will be more able to handle the heavier workload of video editing.

Option 3: Keep the MacBook and the iMac

You really have analyze your mobile work needs. Do you really need to do anything with a Mac while on the road? The best you can do is probably light video editing and video previewing on the road.

Then offload the heavy-duty video editing on to the iMac. Then you can surf the net with the MacBook and keep it as a backup computer.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Jul 27, 2007 at 10:32 PM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 10:13 PM

Well, to get an iMac I'd need to sell the MacBook...

But I've made my decision about that. Now I need to know, with all the MacBook horror stories, chipping cases, discoloration, Magsafes blowing, please post your experience with your MacBook Core 2 Duo. Not Core Duo, I know those had issues but the Core 2 Duo. I need to know if these stories are as prevalent as they seem or if it is just the fact that no one rants about a good experience.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2007, 01:07 PM

My Core 2 Duo has been flawless since I bought it in November. It's the low-end 1.83 Combo drive model upgraded to 2 GB RAM from NewEgg. It does get fairly hot when doing CPU-intensive tasks (82 degrees C) but it's nothing this baby can't handle.

Whichever machine you decide to get, it's probably a good idea to pick up AppleCare.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

The only time I regret having purchased a MacBook instead of an iMac or MacBook Pro is when I want to play games.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Christopera
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2007, 12:58 PM

The grunt of that the MacBook amazes me constantly. Other than gaming and some very serious computational phsyics software there is little the MacBook can't handle.

These stories come from people who are motivated to rant because they are pissed off. IE. there are probably more pissed off forum users spouting horrer stories than happy users reporting good expereinces. Most happy users simply don't feel motivated to rant about how good they are. As a result, you get the bad stories and not the good.

0157988944  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for all your help, guys...

My decision is to hold onto the MacBook until the new iMacs come out, and then I'll probably sell my MacBook. The iMacs will have to be pretty darn ugly or slow to keep me from selling. I know that it's a baseline model, but even if I put 1 GB of RAM in this thing (1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo) the 60 GB Hard Drive and Processor just aren't enough. It's a shame, too, because I love the way it looks and how small it is.

turntabletux
Aug 7, 2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
The only time I regret having purchased a MacBook instead of an iMac or MacBook Pro is when I want to play games.
Agreed, I do wish I could play more games! On another note, I don't have any problem with my screen size. Even when I am using photoshop or flash.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules