Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > dock icons

dock icons
mymacispink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 02:25 PM

hi,
im really having trouble changing my dock icons. i just dont know how to do it. sometimes, copy and paste works, but most of the time it doesnt. please help!
one more thing, finder icons are available, but i just dont know how to change it.

thanks. by the way, im new to this forum. but heard that it helps a lot.
thanks for the help all you mac pros!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2007, 02:39 PM

Micon is the absolute easiest and most foolproof way to change application icons in OS X. Once you've changed the icon, you may need to remove the application from the dock and then put it back (or just reload the dock or restart OS X), but that should take care of it for you.

Another one of my favorite icon-related apps is Img2Icns, which lets you take any PNG file and convert it into an application or folder icon. It's also very easy to use - just drag and drop!

FinderIconCM (developer's homepage is here) makes it really easy to create folder icons by adding your own images to the standard OS X blue folder (it fixes the perspective and everything automatically). I sort my applications into folders, and I like the icons to show what kind of apps are in each folder.

All these are freeware, by the way, which is the best part of all. Hope this helps!

P.S. sorry if this sounds like an advertisement for these apps - it took me forever to find freeware apps that let me customize my icons (I'm an icon nut), so I just wanted to share.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2007, 03:05 PM

I use candybar and manage the icons with pixadex. Not free, but great apps nonetheless.

turntabletux
Aug 15, 2007, 09:06 PM

I use candybar and manage the icons with pixadex. Not free, but great apps nonetheless.
I also use Candybar! I must say after using Linux, Windows and Mac. It is by far the easiest program I have used to change my icons. It's simply drag N' drop!

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2GHZ 1GB of RAM

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by turntabletux
I also use Candybar! I must say after using Linux, Windows and Mac. It is by far the easiest program I have used to change my icons. It's simply drag N' drop!
Definitely. You should check out Pixadex too for organizing them if you're not already using it, very handy and integrates with Candybar.

gangaspeed
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 10:33 AM

Candybar is very nice to have, I will look now into gettin pixadex.

drdaldds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 05:10 PM

Amen to that...Pixadex is a killer app...the best. I just wish I had something like it for windows. I have over 5,000 icons in my pixadex, on a G3 Pismo, and it exports them as windows icons also, in a flash. The problem occurs when you try to put them on a windows machine, as you cannot view them and handle them in as intuitive a manner as on the Mac using Pixadex. For organizing and viewing that many icons, in a practical manner, Pixadex is the way to go. It also readily converts any images to icon status...windows or mac. In my experience, nothing touches Pixadex.

drdaldds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2007, 05:28 PM

To change icons in macintosh....

1. - Highlight the icon you wish to use from pixadex, and hit copy.
2. - Highlight the item whose icon you wish to change, and get info from the File menu.
3. - You will then see two copies of the file icon...one big...centered...and lower...than the small upper left icon. Highlight the smaller upper left icon, on Info dialog box.
4. - Go on the edit menu and hit paste.

That's it...done. It is so intuitively easy. I had trouble from apple's directions, when I tried to highlight the larger lower and centered icon, in the dialog box. Be sure to use the top left small one, and it will be very easy to change.

Iconfactory : Software : Pixadex They also have thousands of free icons available, although I have made a ton myself using photoshop and pixadex. I have icons of me...my pets...and many of my favorite items.

Forum Links
Forum Rules