Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I've changed the name of my user folder and now all files are gone!

I've changed the name of my user folder and now all files are gone!
crushed87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 11:29 AM

Hello people.
Sorry to be a burden or a n00b or whatever but last night I changed my "short name" (or something.. I'm not quite sure what)... then this morning I turned the Mac on and most things have been wiped, all my music, the folders on my desktop all my photos in iPhoto... all the bookmarks in Firefox etc..

I was wondering if there is any way to reverse what I've done.. ?

Thanks for reading, it's much appreciated

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 12:24 PM

All of your files are still there, in the previous name of your home folder. Because you changed the name and the OS couldn't find the folder, it made a new one.
If you change the short name of your home folder back and reboot, your files should come back.

crushed87  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 12:28 PM

Oh yes!
Okay it's back to normal...
Oh thanks so much!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 12:30 PM

No problem

DogGone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
No problem
How come this thread is a sticky? Looks like the problem has been solved.

Mods? Anyone seen a mod? Damnit you can never find them when you need 'em

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2007, 06:38 AM

I requested it become a sticky so that people with the same problems will look at it and be able to fix their problems this way. We get a lot of the same threads otherwise.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 29, 2007, 09:31 PM

This is crazy...you guys can't sticky any old thread. Imagine if everyone's obscure problem got sticky status! This problem isn't common enough to warrant sticky status...not to mention making a sticky for a thread about a single problem is a waste.

I very much doubt anyone on the forum will find this thread useful because hardly anyone changes the Home folder name.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 31, 2007, 05:38 AM

Did anyone ever make a nice utility for changing the Short Name? (Short of using NetInfo Manager and editing the entries yourself?)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
This is crazy...you guys can't sticky any old thread. Imagine if everyone's obscure problem got sticky status! This problem isn't common enough to warrant sticky status...not to mention making a sticky for a thread about a single problem is a waste.
This is not some "obscure" problem.

This, along with the .dmg software-install process, is one of Mac OS X's biggest failings!

I see this happen ALL THE TIME.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Did anyone ever make a nice utility for changing the Short Name? (Short of using NetInfo Manager and editing the entries yourself?)
ChangeShortName 1.3 - MacUpdate

Use at your own risk.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 31, 2007, 11:08 AM

Tah... that's handy that is.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 24, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
This is not some "obscure" problem.

This, along with the .dmg software-install process, is one of Mac OS X's biggest failings!

I see this happen ALL THE TIME.
By ALL THE TIME, do you mean ONCE A YEAR? Nobody ever thinks of changing the home folder name because most people can't even manage to find that folder in the first place.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 12:52 PM

Well, it happened to me once, and it wasn't fun. Reckon I missed the (then) very small type explaining what the "short name" meant.

I've learned much since then. Some ended in others in and a few in

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2007, 03:44 PM

By ALL THE TIME, do you mean ONCE A YEAR? Nobody ever thinks of changing the home folder name because most people can't even manage to find that folder in the first place.
a) I work in Mac support.

b) You're talking out of your ass.

c) most people it happens to, it only ever happens to ONCE. That's quite enough for what appears to be catastrophic loss of data, but is fixable within about thirty seconds.

d) What the hell is it to you to have one of the approximately four *serious* user interaction issues present in Os X 10.4 featured as a sticky in this forum.
Does it somehow encroach upon your personal freedom?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 27, 2007, 11:33 AM

a) I work in Mac support.

b) You're talking out of your ass.

c) most people it happens to, it only ever happens to ONCE. That's quite enough for what appears to be catastrophic loss of data, but is fixable within about thirty seconds.

d) What the hell is it to you to have one of the approximately four *serious* user interaction issues present in Os X 10.4 featured as a sticky in this forum.
Does it somehow encroach upon your personal freedom?
If it happened even 1/10th the time you suggest, wouldn't you think it would be fixed by 10.5? It's not a high priority fix it seems. Have you reported that this happens ALL THE TIME to Apple?

OMG, OMG, ALL THE TIME. If the Genius Bar was swamped with "I've changed the name of my user folder and now all files are gone!!!!1one" panic attacks, Apple would have this issue fixed in no time.

Here are my guesses:

a) You're a terrific liar
b) You're a professional liar
c) This thread should not be a sticky...or should at least combine the 3 other "*serious* user interaction issues"...ooooo, scary. I'm gonna get nightmares knowing there are 4 "*serious* user interaction issues".

Here's a similar problem that happened to me once. I had a folder named "Summer Vacation 2005" and I renamed it to "Gigglesticks"...then I couldn't find my Summer Vacation 2005 photos...I cried a bit. Then I remembered I had renamed the folder and my photos were actually in Gigglesticks. Do I see this problem sticky'ed anywhere? Sure the magnitude of the problem is different but it's essentially the same problem.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Sep 27, 2007 at 11:46 AM. )

Cybersparrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

snip...

Here's a similar problem that happened to me once. I had a folder named "Summer Vacation 2005" and I renamed it to "Gigglesticks"...then I couldn't find my Summer Vacation 2005 photos...I cried a bit. Then I remembered I had renamed the folder and my photos were actually in Gigglesticks. Do I see this problem sticky'ed anywhere? Sure the magnitude of the problem is different but it's essentially the same problem.
Actually, while the results of the problem are similar, they aren't essentially the same problem. In your Gigglesticks case, the change was immediately obvious, and the results of the change were immediately obvious (i.e. you can see the name change in the Finder, you can immediately click on the folder to see that the photos are still present). However, when you change the short name, the results of the change are not immediately obvious. Rather, you might not see a change until days in the future, the next time a software update requires a reboot, or you temporarily shut down the computer to move it, or you temporarily shut down the computer because there's lightning nearby, etc. It's not obvious that what you did will cause what appears to be data loss.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 27, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cybersparrow View Post
Actually, while the results of the problem are similar, they aren't essentially the same problem. In your Gigglesticks case, the change was immediately obvious, and the results of the change were immediately obvious (i.e. you can see the name change in the Finder, you can immediately click on the folder to see that the photos are still present). However, when you change the short name, the results of the change are not immediately obvious. Rather, you might not see a change until days in the future, the next time a software update requires a reboot, or you temporarily shut down the computer to move it, or you temporarily shut down the computer because there's lightning nearby, etc. It's not obvious that what you did will cause what appears to be data loss.
Untrue...when I changed the folder name, the result was not immediately obvious because I went to do something else. Then, weeks later, I couldn't find my photos. I thought I had lost all my photos.

As you can see, in both cases, the user changed a folder name and forgot they did so and become surprised when they and/or the OS can't find the files. Changing the user folder name might be scarier because the OS can't find your home folder...so, yes, it's a terrible design choice and I hate Apple for it. But the two scenarios are quite the same: folder renamed, user can't find files.

It's the unfortunate design flaw of all hierarchical file systems. If an app looks for things in a specific place and that place can't be found, the app gets confused...just like any human. Of course, there are ways to make apps (and OSes) smarter but...really...does this stuff happen often?

I'm guessing one of the 3 other *serious* design flaw is probably how the Software Updater only checks for apps in /Applications and possibly in respective folders inside /Applications (iWork I suppose). This one probably happens 10 times more often than renaming the user folder considering people have a direct link to the Applications folder and some people are neat freaks and absolutely have to organize everything into cute little folders.

I don't understand how OS X can't use Spotlight to find these apps...regardless of where they're located.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:58 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2007, 05:00 PM

a) You're a terrific liar
b) You're a professional liar
c) This thread should not be a sticky...or should at least combine the 3 other "*serious* user interaction issues"...ooooo, scary. I'm gonna get nightmares knowing there are 4 "*serious* user interaction issues".
Did your mom buy you Captain Asshole cereal this week, or is it hormonal imbalance?

As far as I can judge, the only sensible reply to that post is "**** you, and the horse that rode you in."

As you can see, in both cases, the user changed a folder name and forgot they did so and become surprised when they and/or the OS can't find the files. Changing the user folder name might be scarier because the OS can't find your home folder...so, yes, it's a terrible design choice and I hate Apple for it. But the two scenarios are quite the same: folder renamed, user can't find files.
You should try renaming your home folder sometime. Because the result after restarting or logging out are not at all what you describe.

What happens is that, to all appearances, your ENTIRE SYSTEM is WIPED CLEAN.

EVERYTHING is reset to original status. All your e-mail is gone. All your pictures are gone. Everything you've done since first setting up the computer is completely gone, and none of the shortcuts on the left of a standard Finder window will find it for you. Even the Dock is reset to original settings, default icons. EVERYTHING.

All because the OS doesn't warn you that renaming your home folder is probably a bad idea. And yes, this happens ALL THE ****ING TIME, because a lot of users don't appreciate that the home shortcut on the left of their Finder windows lists a concatenation of their complete first and last names. For whatever reason: some of them just happen to KNOW what their name is, and don't see why the computer should constantly remind them, so they simply click next to the icon, and - hey! - it lets them rename that annoying thing to just their first name, or to "My Stuff" or whatever. Wonderful! Problem solved.

Until about ten days later, when there's a system update, they restart their machine, and then make their way to my store, desperate for some sort of data recovery service.

Or they call me up.

There's also the OS 9 switchers - who are becoming increasingly rare, though - who are simply used to being able to re-arrange and re-name virtually any folder on their hard drive to their aesthetic liking.

And the odd customer who "cleaned up" their hard drive, sorting stuff into different folders, and is now surprised that the machine won't boot.

But those last two are not that common.

I'm guessing one of the 3 other *serious* design flaw is probably how the Software Updater only checks for apps in /Applications and possibly in respective folders inside /Applications (iWork I suppose).
Nope. Nobody cares about that, since it doesn't break anything, doesn't clutter stuff, and in fact, isn't even noticeable to the user - how is the clueless user supposed to notice, let alone be bothered by, a conspicuous *absence* of software updates?

One big issue: The DMG model of software installation is broken in its currently most common implementation. This has been discussed at length and breadth, and there are reasons why it is as it is, but until a user has it explained to them, there's no intuitive way of "getting" it.

Another (smaller) issue: The disclosure triangle in the Open/Save dialogs. It used to be next to the locations pop-up. It's now next to the name text entry field.

Neither of these is destructive, so neither warrants a sticky.

Again: what's it to you? Does this thread cause a burning under your foreskin or something?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 05:04 PM

None of these issues are any big deal at all, analogika, although I agree it shouldn't be so easy to remain one's home folder.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2007, 05:05 PM

This one is.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 27, 2007, 07:41 PM

Did your mom buy you Captain Asshole cereal this week, or is it hormonal imbalance?
It's definitely the Captain Asshole cereal...and they're DELICIOUS!!!

As far as I can judge, the only sensible reply to that post is "**** you, and the horse that rode you in."

You should try renaming your home folder sometime. Because the result after restarting or logging out are not at all what you describe.

What happens is that, to all appearances, your ENTIRE SYSTEM is WIPED CLEAN.
To all appearances MY PHOTO FOLDER WAS GONE!!!!

EVERYTHING is reset to original status. All your e-mail is gone. All your pictures are gone. Everything you've done since first setting up the computer is completely gone, and none of the shortcuts on the left of a standard Finder window will find it for you. Even the Dock is reset to original settings, default icons. EVERYTHING.

All because the OS doesn't warn you that renaming your home folder is probably a bad idea. And yes, this happens ALL THE ****ING TIME, because a lot of users don't appreciate that the home shortcut on the left of their Finder windows lists a concatenation of their complete first and last names. For whatever reason: some of them just happen to KNOW what their name is, and don't see why the computer should constantly remind them, so they simply click next to the icon, and - hey! - it lets them rename that annoying thing to just their first name, or to "My Stuff" or whatever. Wonderful! Problem solved.
I call bullshit...your story is bullshit. You can't rename things in the sidebar with a click...or even a double-click. You have to control-click or right-click...something few people know they can do on a sidebar item.

Until about ten days later, when there's a system update, they restart their machine, and then make their way to my store, desperate for some sort of data recovery service.

Or they call me up.

There's also the OS 9 switchers - who are becoming increasingly rare, though - who are simply used to being able to re-arrange and re-name virtually any folder on their hard drive to their aesthetic liking.

And the odd customer who "cleaned up" their hard drive, sorting stuff into different folders, and is now surprised that the machine won't boot.
That just can't happen. Unless they were in some other OS that allows you to fiddle around with files on the hard drive regardless of permissions...unlikely.

But those last two are not that common.

Nope. Nobody cares about that, since it doesn't break anything, doesn't clutter stuff, and in fact, isn't even noticeable to the user - how is the clueless user supposed to notice, let alone be bothered by, a conspicuous *absence* of software updates?
Right...just like the clueless user is generally incapable of renaming his home folder easily. Especially those without a 2-button mouse. And those that went through the Users folder must be dumb not to go back there at some point when they're greeted with an new and empty account and the only few things to do when you've got no files in sight is probably to click the 'Computer' icon or '*insert hard drive name here*' icon and go to the Users icon. If they managed to get there in the first place they know how to get back.

One big issue: The DMG model of software installation is broken in its currently most common implementation. This has been discussed at length and breadth, and there are reasons why it is as it is, but until a user has it explained to them, there's no intuitive way of "getting" it.

Another (smaller) issue: The disclosure triangle in the Open/Save dialogs. It used to be next to the locations pop-up. It's now next to the name text entry field.

Neither of these is destructive, so neither warrants a sticky.

Again: what's it to you? Does this thread cause a burning under your foreskin or something?
Don't be upset...I was just voicing my opinion about this thread not being worthy of a sticky is all.

edit: curiosity got me and I just had to check if this problem exists under 10.5 and you'll be glad to know it doesn't...it is now impossible to rename home folders in 10.5. You now get a message saying "'Home Folder' can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X". In fact, all the default folders are impossible to move or rename.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Sep 27, 2007 at 07:54 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 03:15 AM

Will you two stop bickering.
I had hoped that this thread would be closed when it was made a sticky, I can't remember whether I asked for it to be closed or not but THIS was exactly what I wanted to avoid.
I wanted a user to be able to read the 4 odd posts that explained the problem so they could go 'oh yeah!' and fix their problem.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2007, 03:29 AM

Why don't we just have a "common OS problems FAQ" sticky?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2007, 03:31 AM

It's definitely the Captain Asshole cereal...and they're DELICIOUS!!!

To all appearances MY PHOTO FOLDER WAS GONE!!!!
You don't see a qualitative difference between a complete reset and a re-named folder? Whatever, dood.
I call bullshit...your story is bullshit. You can't rename things in the sidebar with a click...or even a double-click. You have to control-click or right-click...something few people know they can do on a sidebar item.
Egads, you're right. I'll have to ask the last person I saw this happen to (about two weeks ago; an acquaintance of mine) just how it happened. I know he was annoyed by the fact that the thing was constantly telling him what his name was. I wonder whether he managed to change its name using "Get Info" or by finding his home folder in the Users folder and changing it there.

"Can I change the name of my home icon" is definitely one of the more common questions asked by newbies. The lucky ones ask beforehand.

That just can't happen. Unless they were in some other OS that allows you to fiddle around with files on the hard drive regardless of permissions...unlikely.
Truth be told: I've only seen that happen *once*. She figured some idiot had put two of those "Library" folders on her disk, and she only needed one. And she then moved a bunch of stuff around into a folder she called "computer stuff" or something.

Yes, she had to enter her password. She did.

Right...just like the clueless user is generally incapable of renaming his home folder easily.
Anybody in support will tell you that it's those users who have an *inkling* but no real clue are those most likely to **** things up.

edit: curiosity got me and I just had to check if this problem exists under 10.5 and you'll be glad to know it doesn't...it is now impossible to rename home folders in 10.5. You now get a message saying "'Home Folder' can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X". In fact, all the default folders are impossible to move or rename.
That's most excellent to hear.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 28, 2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Why don't we just have a "common OS problems FAQ" sticky?
There was going to be one but not many replies were made to the threads started in this and the feedback forum about it, so it hasn't been done.

The one in the OS X forum: http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...stions-topics/

The one in the Feedback forum: http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...eral-os-x-faq/

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 11:18 AM

The tip in this thread did not work due to the fact that I no longer can log in as the admin, and the Password reset utility will not even recognize any accounts to let me change passwords on.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 01:12 PM

Then your problem is probably not caused by your having renamed the user folder.

You have a more severe issue.

al3kb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 03:48 AM

My brother tried changing the short name on his Max Osx 10.5 (Leopard) and now we are trying to retain all the lost files, though we cant because leopard doesnt let us change the folder names. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of downgrading to Tiger changing the folder names in /user around then re-upgrading back to leopard. Does anyone know if this will work? Will anything be lost in the process of the downgrade? any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by al3kb View Post
My brother tried changing the short name on his Max Osx 10.5 (Leopard) and now we are trying to retain all the lost files, though we cant because leopard doesnt let us change the folder names. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking of downgrading to Tiger changing the folder names in /user around then re-upgrading back to leopard. Does anyone know if this will work? Will anything be lost in the process of the downgrade? any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.
So your brother tried to rename it, did he succeed and how?
Renaming the folder to the original name and rebooting worked in Tiger, so I can't understand why it wouldn't in Leopard.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 04:38 PM

Al3kb already started another thread for his particular case, which makes sense as the problem turned out to be something else.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah thanks Chuckit, I just read it. I knew there had been 'two' cases of this issue in Leopard, just hadn't realised they were the same user.

OreoCookie
Aug 22, 2008, 07:53 AM

I would like to add that with Leopard, you can easily change short user name and the location of your home directory without any third-party apps!

1. Launch the Sys Prefs and select Users.
2. Authenticate, if necessary, by clicking in the padlock on the bottom-left and entering a user name and password of an administrator.
3. Right-click the user whose short name and/or location of the home directory you would like to change and select Advanced from the contextual menu.
4. Make the changes you want in the dialog.
5. Restart your machine.

Note that this might still screw up your machine if you select the home directory of another user, for instance.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules