Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Swimming Pools

Swimming Pools
Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2007, 08:47 PM

I am considering the installation of an in-ground pool. I have picked three reputable local companies from whom I will solicit proposals. While I know what I would include, I'm open to suggestions.

I will inquire about saltwater chlorinators, UV sterilizers, a retracting pool cover (I have 6 kids, including one with a wheelchair), dark-tinted gunite and other ideas to save on heating costs.

Sealobo
Dec 29, 2007, 08:50 PM

wow... sounds like a serious project.

what are the ages of your kids? statistically, having a pool at home is more dangerous to the kids than having a firearm stored in your bedroom drawer.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 08:52 PM

My first suggestion would be to visit the PoolNN forums.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 08:59 PM

Screw the cover, get a pool fence. Depending on locality, a pool fence might be the law. My house has a 6 foot privacy fence, a screen enclosure and a pool fence. The pool fence is for the kids. The screen enclosure is mostly for the leaves. The 6 foot privacy fence is to prevent some neighborhood kid from "accidentally" falling in and having his parents sue me.

No real need for UV. Best heater is the sun. If you don't get enough sunlight, run some solar heating on your roof and pump the water through it. Not photo voltaic, it's mostly just black PVC, so it's not too expensive. Since I'm cheap, I just bought a wetsuit for when the pool isn't as warm as I'd like. My kids have a larger temperature range than I do, and so I use it to swim with them. (I won't get in without the wetsuit if the water is less than 80)

Salt based chlorine generators can be expensive up front, but chlorine is expensive and salt is cheap, so do some math and figure out when you break even (I think it's about 3 years).

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 30, 2007, 08:43 PM

You need a fence AND a cover. The fence makes it impossible for a neighbor kid to "accidentally" get into the pool, and the cover keeps those you allow into the yard from falling in. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a good grasp of what you need.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
My first suggestion would be to visit the PoolNN forums.
Just be careful what you post in their lounge.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Just be careful what you post in their lounge.
Yeah, I'd stay away from anyone that has yellow around them.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
The 6 foot privacy fence is to prevent some neighborhood kid from "accidentally" falling in and having his parents sue me.
I would be more worried about the dead kid floating in your pool.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 06:24 AM

They can also make your house worth less. Houses with pools are harder to sell.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
What? Around here, it adds $25K to the value of the house.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 08:29 AM

You need a fence AND a cover. The fence makes it impossible for a neighbor kid to "accidentally" get into the pool, and the cover keeps those you allow into the yard from falling in.
There's a fence around the yard. There's a screen cage around the pool deck. There's a pool fence around the pool. Even if I let someone in the yard, there are two more things to unlock to get to the pool. Even if they're on my lanai, there's another thing to unlock to get to the pool. The cover isn't necessary after all that.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 08:32 AM

It depends on what part of the country you're talking about. Florida, California and other states that are generally hot most of the year. A pool adds value.

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 09:37 AM

I...am...NEVER....moving....again!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 31, 2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Aeolius View Post
I...am...NEVER....moving....again!
...famous last words entry #27.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 11:50 AM

Don't know where you are, but in many areas it actually depreciates the value of the house. (Best case you break even, but lose the value of the pool.) Put in a pool for you, not for resale value.

In my case it would even be worse ... our community has a pool. I'd love to have one of my own in the back yard, but the fact that there is a community (HOA run) pool makes the value of one of my own even less. :-(
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
...famous last words entry #27.
True... I suppose I should have prefaced it with "Unless I win the lottery..."

Originally Posted by driven View Post
...the fact that there is a community (HOA run) pool makes the value of one of my own even less.
We have the local YMCA pool (no HOA here, thank the gods), but it's too bloody cold and always crowded.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2007, 12:54 PM

My favorite:
7 brands of Pool Alarms for swimming pools, POOL ALARMS FOR POOLS, pool alarm, pool safety.
Floating alarms go off if anyone jumps (or falls) in off hours, gate alarms, etc.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Don't know where you are, but in many areas it actually depreciates the value of the house. (Best case you break even, but lose the value of the pool.) Put in a pool for you, not for resale value.
In Florida, it adds to the value of the house.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 02:05 PM

There's a saying:

"The two best days of my life are the day I put in the pool, and the day I got rid of it."

Pools are great as long as they are someone else's.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
what are the ages of your kids? statistically, having a pool at home is more dangerous to the kids than having a firearm stored in your bedroom drawer.
Statistically, the gun accident rate with children is like .000006% and car accidents are more than four time more likely to kill children under fourteen than drowning.

What's your point?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2007, 04:22 PM

Where do you live? Are you in Florida? Just wondering.

Around here (Toronto), it doesn't usually add much value. If anything it takes away from value, or else is just neutral. In any case, when I looked for a house, I specifically looked for one without a pool. To me, a pool subtracts about $15000 from the value of the house, because I'd have to get the pool removed and the hole filled in, and then get the yard relandscaped.

Mind you, it's always nice to have a neighbour with a pool.

BTW, what are the water costs for a pool? How much volume do you use?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Where do you live? Are you in Florida? Just wondering.
Yes, Florida.

Around here (Toronto), it doesn't usually add much value. If anything it takes away from value, or else is just neutral. In any case, when I looked for a house, I specifically looked for one without a pool. To me, a pool subtracts about $15000 from the value of the house, because I'd have to get the pool removed and the hole filled in, and then get the yard relandscaped.
I thought you called it an ice skating rink up there!

Mind you, it's always nice to have a neighbour with a pool.
Every house on my street has one.

BTW, what are the water costs for a pool? How much volume do you use?
Don't need water - rain takes care of that. Costs around $45/month in electricity to run the pump. Chlorine runs about $3/week in the summer. Don't need as much of the pump or chlorine in the winter. I need to get solar - there are only about 3 months where the water temp is above 80 (I know, you northerners think that 70 is fine, but I don't).

memento
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 12:41 PM

The retracting pool cover would not be for protection, only for winterizing and keeping the leaves out. We don't have a fence but do have a water-permeable stretch safety cover for winter. I've seen animal tracks across it. Of course we have no neighbors so not much worry about floating bodies.

Think about how you're going to filter. We have a DE (diatomacious earth) filter for our inground and it works great. we also have a propane heater that we don't use. Passive solar heating of the water is pretty easy and cheap to do. Of course I swim if it's even close to 70. It depends on you and where you live. I have a friend who ran flex hoses under his driveway for heating the water. works amazing.

We buy 3" chlorine tablets. 1 bucket (5 gallon sized) lasts the season. I don't know how much salt you'd be using but consider the labor of hauling salt.

The only water we needed was when we replaced the liner at 17 years. 30,000 gallons cost us $1200. ripoff. I even have a friend at a local fire department who I offered a $500 donation of they could fill, but the lawyers already feasted on that deal. Otherwise we only have to top off a little if we have a long dry spell. That's usually twice a summer.

If you have to winterize, think about where you lay your pipes and what material they are. I have PVC but I know that you can get better materials now that are less prone to cracking. I'm going to borrow a borescope this spring to check out my pipes. Hopefully they are still good.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
There's a saying:

"The two best days of my life are the day I put in the pool, and the day I got rid of it."
actually that saying is about puts, i.e., "The two best days of my life are the day I bought a boat and the day I sold it"

I know - I helped sell my then girlfriend's boat. It cost me 1200 bucks to get it ready to be sold. In the end thought that was a good day I didn't make a huge profit but the money pit was out of driveway

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
actually that saying is about puts, i.e., "The two best days of my life are the day I bought a boat and the day I sold it"

I know - I helped sell my then girlfriend's boat. It cost me 1200 bucks to get it ready to be sold. In the end thought that was a good day I didn't make a huge profit but the money pit was out of driveway
Yeah, it applies very well to boats too. There's another saying:

"A boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
"A boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into."
hey I like that

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2008, 07:14 PM

Count me in for the 'a-pool-in-every-backyard-on-the-block' set.

Don't have one out back right now, I'm in a townhome, but I did for 25 years. It was huge, 8 feet deep, and not even a pain in the ass.
ice

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 07:22 PM

Around here, it adds $25K to the value of the house.
Which is sad, when the pool quotes I have received would cost twice that.

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Count me in for the 'a-pool-in-every-backyard-on-the-block' set. Don't have one out back right now, I'm in a townhome, but I did for 25 years. It was huge, 8 feet deep, and not even a pain in the ass.
My folks had one as well. It was my job to maintain the chemicals, sweep the pool, and keep the cleaning jets working (i.e. hop in the pool with a screwdriver and fix them).

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aeolius View Post
Which is sad, when the pool quotes I have received would cost twice that.
Nearly all of the pools around here were put in by the home builder and are standard rectangular pools with marcite and nothing special. $50K would get you a nicer pool than what the builder would do.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 09:51 PM

i prefer a sprinkler and a lawn chair . easy to maintain and you can put it all away and still have a yard to play in.

Aeolius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 03:06 PM

I've interviewed three companies thus far; two local and one national. Prices are all over the board, for similar sized pools with similar equipment. The national company gave the best presentation and had great prices, but their rep online is shoddy (people love to complain online... go figure). One local company was three times higher than the other two.

Sheesh... this is almost like work.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
statistically, having a pool at home is more dangerous to the kids than having a firearm stored in your bedroom drawer.
Swimming pools don't kill people, water does.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2008, 03:31 PM

just dont call the fire dept to come fill your pool up!

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 03:32 PM

Technically, it is di-hydrogen monoxide that kills:
Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide
It should be banned!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Actually, falling in an empty swimming pool isn't such a great idea either.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules