Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MobileMe as a web site host?

MobileMe as a web site host?
MacNNblueberry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 12:02 AM

Right now I have my personal website hosted by Pair.net. I think it's about $10 a month, so $120 a year. I was wondering if MobileMe would allow me to host my site with it (including using my domain name—let's say it was "www.flintstone.com"—as opposed to having it have to be something weird like "flintstone.mobileme.com" or something).

Anyway, if MobileMe would let me do this, I'd get the hosting for $20 less a year, plus the cool MobileMe stuff where I could access my MacBook files from school.

Any ideas?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 12:24 AM

If you are making money with your website, I wouldn't trust this service at all. There are far better hosts for valuable sites, just FYI...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 12:42 AM

It depends on what your site is. If it's just a bunch of static HTML pages where you list your favorite R&B singers or whatever, it should be fine. If it uses PHP or is in any way not just HTML, probably not. Also as besson said, if uptime is important, I wouldn't necessarily trust MobileMe. .Mac isn't atrocious, but it seems to have problems now and then.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacNNblueberry  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I just have photos and a bit of text on my site, (and no big need for 99.99% uptime) so it sounds like MobileMe will work fine for me.
( Last edited by MacNNblueberry; Jun 12, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to add thanks)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 05:03 PM

Yep, sounds like it should work well for you.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNblueberry View Post
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I just have photos and a bit of text on my site, (and no big need for 99.99% uptime) so it sounds like MobileMe will work fine for me.
I've only had one outage with .mac's email servers and I've never had any sort of noticeable outage with my .mac web page.

If you want to go with Mobileme as a web host you should be ok but in general I agree with Besson though you'll be better served with a dedicated web host. For instance, many web hosts back up your stuff, and you can back/restore. mysql, perl, and php support is generally a given with most sites. You're not going to get any of that with .mac or .me

Personally I'm liking the new .me for a number of reasons, hosting my main site is not one of them. I've been happy with .mac as I've been a member since the itools days but I wanted a little more options and features which is why I have a different web host.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2008, 07:15 PM

It would be interesting to setup something like Nagios for a few months to monitor the uptimes of these hosts to compare them... This would be a very inexact sort of test, but it's probably better than relying on other peoples' anecdotal reports.

HenryMelton
Jun 13, 2008, 10:21 AM

About a year ago I moved my author site from a linux based ISP site to .Mac when they started changing the prices on me. Back in the old days the site was hand coded + perl cgi stuff I wrote to handle the index of my published stories. I have since moved to iWeb since I don't really need dynamic content on most of those pages and updating the site is really easy from my laptop anywhere I can get packets moving.

It was also easy to attach the DNS name www.HenryMelton.com to the .mac site so all the pages have the correct URL's. I have not seen any noticeable downtime.

In contrast, my wife's photography site, Mary Ann's View - Nature Photography & More - Home Page is all dynamic perl cgi and there's no way I can move it to .mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules