Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are you a flexitarian? Can vegans eat honey? ...

Are you a flexitarian? Can vegans eat honey? ... (Page 3)
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2008, 05:19 PM

Uh huh. Let's clear this up once and for all.

Veggie = nothing animal passes the lips. Except ladybits. Or manbits if you're a lady... ...or a graphic designer.

Vegan = won't use anything from animals at all.

I'm veggie, so will wear leather boots and the like. But I go for veggie soap because hey, I'm going to eat food with the hands I just used that soap on. I'm not really a moral veggie (although I do have a couple of friends who happen to be cows and I wouldn't like to meet them on a plate one day) and generally did it for the increased concentration which a meat-free diet brings. At the time (17-18 years ago ish) I was heavily into *cough* mystical *cough* pursuits and the increased concentration meant better performance (and better results). My body adapted and now I throw up even at the faintest whiff of a Sunday roast.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Never been there.

Full disclosure: it's almost 20 years since I was there, but it's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure it's in Brookline. It's a very American kind of Chinese restaurant, including the tacky decor, but I've never had a dish like the General Gao's chicken. It's worth its weight in gold.

(Note this isn't General Tso's chicken, which you can get in a bunch of places)

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I think they got shut down for health code violations or something though.

Should you go, you can just ignore that it's next to a cat hospital.

Oh, and should someone underage from one of Boston's illustrious universities be reading, back in the day you could totally get served there, no problem.

Really strong, fruity drinks.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2008, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Oh, and should someone underage from one of Boston's illustrious universities be reading, back in the day you could totally get served there, no problem.
Bah, all you need for that is a vaguely Irish sounding accent. Which, apparently, this Jersey Boy has (I even had a hard time convincing a guy from Belfast when I was in Dublin that I was an American).

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Humm...honey is basically regurgitated nectar so it's nectar + bee spit. That's up to you if you want to eat that.
Never mind what they make jell-o out of

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 12:49 AM

Her's an interesting article out of Australia. It seems that eating nothing but veggies makes it 6 times more likely that you will suffer brain shrinkage http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/H...ow/3480629.cms
I have heard that vegetarians, and especially vegans need to take vitamins to compensate for what they would get from eating meat and diary.
45/47

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Her's an interesting article out of Australia. It seems that eating nothing but veggies makes it 6 times more likely that you will suffer brain shrinkage http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/H...ow/3480629.cms
I have heard that vegetarians, and especially vegans need to take vitamins to compensate for what they would get from eating meat and diary.
What a poorly written story. The study "found" that B12 deficiency is bad for you. I would say "WOW, ALERT THE PRESS," but apparently someone already has. What it did not find is that vegans are at a significant risk of B12 deficiency. Yes, B12 is most plentiful in animal sources, but that doesn't mean vegans are deficient, and certainly not vegetarians. For one thing, you need really very little of it. We're talking vanishingly small here. Your body mostly just stores it. It would take years of malnutrition to lead to the condition they're talking about. As far as I'm aware, otherwise healthy people do not normally develop this problem, vegan or not.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2008, 12:37 PM

I’m very tempted to jokingly suggest they do a study on how the PolWar Lounge affects risk of suffering from brain shrinkage.

But I won’t.

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2008, 04:18 PM

For what I understand from that group; they cannot eat anything that comes from an animal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules