Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For existing parents only : 8 kids

For existing parents only : 8 kids
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 09:47 AM

So, some woman has had 8 kids in one fell swoop. Apparently she already has 6 kids.

As a father of two (a 5 year old girl and a 19 month old boy) I say

W H A T W E R E Y O U T H I N K I N G O F ? ? ?

Quote : She added that, "it's going to be difficult" and her husband was heading back to Iraq, where he had been employed as a contract worker, to help support his drastically expanded family. End Quote

Her husband is heading back to Iraq to get some sleep more likely.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2009, 09:58 AM

A mother of six going through fertility treatment to have babies? That strikes me as slightly … odd.

[First non-parent reply already, w00t! ]

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2009, 09:59 AM

I cannot fathom what would make a couple who already has six kids think "You know, honey, six isn't enough. Let's try for a seventh!".

Especially since some form of fertility treatment was involved. That means there was more to the decision than just an "oops" one night.

(I'm a year behind you, mattyb, with a 4 year old girl and a 6 month old girl....)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 10:14 AM

It's their choice.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's their choice.
I don't think anyone is disputing that. But it seems the OP is curious as to what inspired them to keep going after 6.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 30, 2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Her husband is heading back to Iraq to get some sleep more likely.
Hahaha...it's probably more peaceful.

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2009, 10:55 AM

I read they were surprised by all the embryos but chose not to winnow. Hard decision, yet if they'd started with only 2 eggs to begin with they could have avoided that decision. It's an expensive procedure though with not high odds so people usually go with more eggs so there's not 100% failure.

I have 2 kids, 6 and 18mos, if I already had 6 kids I sure as heck wouldn't want more... but some people do.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 11:04 AM

So you guys with 2 kids know what its like. You know that Saturady morning lie-ins don't exist anymore. You know that you rarely get an uninterrupted night's sleep. You have dealt with puke at 3am, then at 4am, then going to work. I have and I wouldn't have a third without a great big (that's Bill Gates + Warren Buffett big) pile of money. I just wouldn't go through with it. So this family already has three times as much trouble as me, and now they're got 8 more of the little devils to deal with. Does the wife want a divorce? Does the father want blood on his hands?

Beyond me, this really is.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 11:08 AM

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 11:16 AM

lol

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 30, 2009, 11:28 AM

Looks like they had one or two at precise 9 month intervals. Maybe his fetish is breastfeeding, and it's just a vicious cycle he can't get out of.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 11:32 AM

Other than the oldest son, they all look like they were born within a year of each other.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2009, 11:33 AM

So you guys with 2 kids know what its like. You know that Saturady morning lie-ins don't exist anymore. You know that you rarely get an uninterrupted night's sleep. You have dealt with puke at 3am, then at 4am, then going to work.
So how much worse can it get than that?

So you have another eight kids. You won't get your Saturday morning lie-in - which you're not getting with just two. You won't get a proper night's sleep - which you're not getting with just two.

Surely there must be some kind of plateau involved where it doesn't get any worse than it already is?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 11:45 AM

I don't think that's the case with kids. I mean, suddenly instead of laundry taking two hours, it's taking an entire day. Grocery shopping requires an effing U-Haul to feed all those mouths. Instead of being up with one kid puking twice at night, you have to deal with nine kids, gallons of puke, not sleeping at all, and not enough buckets to hold it all.

I have no idea why anyone would want fertility treatments after already creating six children. I know a family with seven kids, but the last three were complete accidents (they took all necessary precautions...apparently God just really wanted them to have those kids). Paying for IVF after that many natural kids is just insane.

Of course, maybe they're trying to compensate in the population for those of us (like me) who don't intend on ever procreating.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam
Of course, maybe they're trying to compensate in the population for those of us (like me) who don't intend on ever procreating.

ever seen the movie "idiocracy" its an interesting movie, entertaining yet dumb. it seems quite relevant for this discussion.

-Zach

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2009, 01:35 PM

The women a couple cubes over just heard about this. They think it's ridiculous.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2009, 01:37 PM

Also, I don't get this last part of the article:
Their octuplets are only the second set known to have survived birth in the United States, In 1988, a Nigerian-born mother gave birth to eight babies in Houston, Texas. One died a week later but the others, five girls and two boys, survived and recently turned 10.
If they were born in 1988, they would have recently turned 20-21.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 01:39 PM

Nigerians age at half speed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2009, 01:45 PM

When she gets the baby itch there's only so much you can do about it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Surely there must be some kind of plateau involved where it doesn't get any worse than it already is?
There are some parenting actions that aren't easily parallelized. Changing diapers is still essentially a serial operation, so if only one diaper-changer is available diaper-changing alone takes eight times as long.

Not to mention the disposal of said diapers. (or the cleaning of them if you're masochistic enough to go cloth). You may need to get a biohazard storage permit.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Looks like they had one or two at precise 9 month intervals. Maybe his fetish is breastfeeding, and it's just a vicious cycle he can't get out of.
I can't get over how hideous they all are.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 03:31 PM

The family in the photo that Dakar posted were just on French TV. http://www.duggarfamily.com/

They just had their, wait for it ... 18th child.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 03:33 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 04:36 PM

The family in the photo that Dakar posted were just on French TV. http://www.duggarfamily.com/

I guess they ran out of names

We are so excited to have Jordyn-Grace here and with our oldest son Josh now married we are blessed to add our new "daughter-in-love" Anna to the Duggar Family as well!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I can't get over how hideous they all are.
Haha...that's part of the hyperlegalistic movement within conservative Christianity - it's very sexist, and women in the movement generally refuse to wear makeup, do anything with their hair (including cutting it), or wear anything outside of ugly homemade prairie dresses.

I knew a family like that at the church I attended as a kid. They were all really weird. It's a whole subculture in there.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2009, 07:07 PM

One of my mom's high school friends had two kids, then he and his wife had an "accident" that resulted in twins. And I thought that was bad...

Also, holy poop, never having children.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
When she gets the baby itch there's only so much you can do about it.
Canesten?

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 11:59 AM

No biggie. I have seven kids. On the weekends, I may end up with five or six more, when mine invite friends over.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 12:49 PM

I assume all seven kids did not come at once. How many kids have you had concurrently in diapers?

I think older kids are a bit easier to take care of in groups. While they may require more collective attention to make sure they're not getting into trouble, they require less individual attention than several babies who cannot eat or go to the bathroom by themselves....

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I guess they ran out of names
According to French TV, every one of their kids has a name that starts with J - they're very devout.

andi*pandi
Jan 31, 2009, 10:36 PM

At some point after 5 I'd start naming them all George and be done with it.

Cipher13
Feb 1, 2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
It's their choice.
I'm not so sure it should be.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
I'm not so sure it should be.
I agree. They shouldn't be able to vote or drive on public roads either. I think that they should pay more in taxes as well.

This is sarcasm BTW.

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
How many kids have you had concurrently in diapers?
LOL! Fair enough.

Mine are 15, 14, 14, 10, 7, 5, and 5. Before you ask; no, there are no twins. I have three birth children, three adopted, and one fostered.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 2, 2009, 05:52 PM

I just "friended" an ex-girlfriend on facebook and have learned that she now has 8 kids. Two sets of twins in there. No fertility treatments.

This from a girl who told me she had an infection when she was a baby and was infertile.

But to be honest, they are doing great. Husband is self-employed, pays for his own health insurance and for his three employees. Pays oodles of taxes, and supports their church substantially. Sadly, I think many are quick to judge.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2009, 06:09 PM

One thing about having several kids is that often enough, bigger kids LOVE taking care of their siblings.

This can go wrong obviously, but when it works out, it can be a real help.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2009, 07:04 PM

Plus you'll have a nice pool of future caregivers for yourself! This has WIN written allll over it.

Rumor
Feb 3, 2009, 02:44 AM

The doctor that approved the fertility treatment should be reviewed and/or lose his license.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 03:12 AM

She is a single woman with 12 kids and no job, living in a 1500 sqft home. How old is the woman? 22? 32?

She didn't want to destroy the embryos. So she had all of those frozen embryos injected, and out comes 8 babies.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
She is a single woman with 12 kids and no job, living in a 1500 sqft home. How old is the woman? 22? 32?

She didn't want to destroy the embryos. So she had all of those frozen embryos injected, and out comes 8 babies.
6+8 = 14. You can trust me. I'm an engineer.

She's 33.

All of the embryos were implanted purposely, but it's when they all unexpectedly took that she didn't want to destroy any of them.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 01:18 PM

This is a job for SSCCATAGAPP!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This from a girl who told me she had an infection when she was a baby and was infertile.
Never believe a girl when she says she's physically unable to have children, unless she can show you the hysterectomy scar from where they actually removed her uterus.

My ex got a girl preggers from a one night stand after she insisted she was incapable of procreating.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2009, 05:32 PM

… hence the ‘ex’ part?

Railroader
Banned
Feb 3, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Never believe a girl when she says she's physically unable to have children, unless she can show you the hysterectomy scar from where they actually removed her uterus.

My ex got a girl preggers from a one night stand after she insisted she was incapable of procreating.
Seriously, you actually hit [quote] and responded to my post with that?!?

Railroader
Banned
Feb 3, 2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
… hence the ‘ex’ part?
Nah, she was my first real girlfriend back in '86 when I was a sophomore in High School.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
At some point after 5 I'd start naming them all George and be done with it.
Don't you mean Bruce?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 08:21 PM

Fark! Their FAQ is scary, hilarious and horribly revealing:

Jim Bob attended a dating seminar at his family’s church in Junior High. In the seminar, teenagers were encouraged to make two important commitments: first, that they wouldn’t date anyone who wasn’t a Christian, and second, that they wouldn’t date anyone who didn’t love Jesus as much as they did. Jim Bob made both of those commitments—and at the same time, began praying for the girl, then unknown, who would become his wife.
Oh boy…

But while his lips were silent, his mind was soaring. As he and Fred left that night, he paused one long second in Michelle’s doorway, completely convinced he’d just met the girl he’d been praying for without knowing who she was. Oh, God, he prayed in that doorway, from the depths of my heart, I ask that Michelle could be mine and that I could become her spiritual leader.

A year went by. A year! Throughout that time, Jim Bob kept praying for Michelle, for their future together and for God’s guidance.

But did he call her? No.

Did he go back to her house with Fred for another visit? No.
Creeeeeeeeeeeepyyy…

Then the unexpected happened, followed by the unthinkable: Michelle got pregnant, even though she was still taking birth control pills. We thought that was impossible, but we were surprised to find out different! Between her second and third month, Michelle miscarried. When the doctor told us the miscarriage probably happened because she had conceived while still on the pill, we were devastated. To us, it meant that something we had chosen to do—use the pill—had caused the end of the pregnancy.

As conservative Christians, we believe every life is sacred, even the life of the unborn. Due to our lack of knowledge, we destroyed the precious life of our unborn child. We prayed and studied the Bible and found a host of references that told us God considered children a gift, a blessing, and a reward. Yet we had considered having another child an inconvenience during that busy time in our lives, and we had taken steps to prevent it from happening.
God kills unborn children. Nice.

Our #1 goal is to lead our children to seek a close relationship with God & give Him every area of their lives. We purpose to start each day with a family Bible study, reading a chapter of Proverbs that corresponds with the day of the month.
No comment here. *sigh*

14. What are your top five best parenting tips? (For parents with families of all sizes.)

Teach our children to love God with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength, and memorize God’s word together as a family.
Teach them to have a servant’s heart, leading by your example. Love your neighbor as yourself.
Daily read the Proverb of the Day that corresponds with the day of the month and discuss it as a family.
Diligently keep up with each child’s attitudes and actions and ask what is going on in their heart. Pray with them one on one letting them lead in prayer and then you closing the prayer time together.
Ask God to help you conquer anger because it can destroy your relationship with your children. Praise them ten times more than you correct them.
These people are breeding their very own cult.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader
Banned
Feb 3, 2009, 08:54 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 08:58 PM

So, I take it that even you agree that these people are off their rockers then?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2009, 09:10 PM

Nah, she was my first real girlfriend back in '86 when I was a sophomore in High School.
No, that was meant for shif’s post about the ex who went out [possibly while still with her] and got another girl pregnant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules