Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new modem in G4's; does it really tell you a phone call is pending?

new modem in G4's; does it really tell you a phone call is pending?
rotuts
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2002, 10:26 PM

Hello,
Im panning on getting a G4 1 gz soon. it says that the new modem will tell you if you are on line and you get a phone call that you can interrupt the 'online' aspect of the phone line and take the call? has anybody done this?

what a feature??

thanks rotut

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 06:55 PM

where does it tell you this? sounds pretty cool...

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 11:49 PM

I too read about this feature, I believe it was a document about v.92 and 10.2. Can't remember where I read this though.

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 12:11 AM

I think this is tied to the upcoming V.92 standard. The new towers may include new V.92-based modems; older V.90 modems are flash-upgradeable to V.92. In theory, anyway.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2002, 12:14 AM

Upcoming standred? , V.92 has been offical for quite a few years.

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2002, 12:31 AM

Found it under Mac Help. Look for v.92 and you will find:

Receiving telephone calls while you're online

Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2002, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by CommonSense:
older V.90 modems are flash-upgradeable to V.92. In theory, anyway.
i hope it works ... practically ...
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2002, 06:46 AM

where can i find the patch to flash my G4 2x500??
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2002, 01:31 PM

The only way the call waiting answering feature will work with the v.92 modem is if your ISP supports it. Most do not as of yet.

rhino_g3

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 1, 2002, 01:52 PM

Instead of having to special order a g4 tower w/o the modem, they should just drop it from the standard config.

They should still keep the modem on the amatuer models & powerbooks/ibooks (for travelling)

I would figure most peeps who have a g4 tower, which is a pro machine, use broadband anyway.

It seems like a contradiction, to be sitting there with that powerful beast of a machine, and limiting yourself to a pathetic 56 k. (theoretically 56k, it's lower than that, lol)

my rant for the day

CallumM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Instead of having to special order a g4 tower w/o the modem, they should just drop it from the standard config.

They should still keep the modem on the amatuer models & powerbooks/ibooks (for travelling)

I would figure most peeps who have a g4 tower, which is a pro machine, use broadband anyway.

It seems like a contradiction, to be sitting there with that powerful beast of a machine, and limiting yourself to a pathetic 56 k. (theoretically 56k, it's lower than that, lol)

my rant for the day

I think you are assuming too much. In the USA, maybe broadband is widespread, but I believe its less than 10% of internet users.

Outside the states, this figure is smaller in most countries.

Keep the bloody 56k modem in!! people like me who cannot afford broadband need this.

My rant-reply

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2002, 07:06 PM

When I ordered a quicksilver from apple's edu store I had the option of deleting the modem. But Apple only gives $27 credit for omitting the modem so it didnt seem to be worth leaving it out. Besides, I might want to fax a document someday or god forbid my dsl line ever conks out.

I have a us robotics call waiting modem on a dell. When somone calls, a message pop ups on the screen asking if you would like to terminate the internet connection and answer the call. In order to use this feature, you need call waiting, caller id, + caller id for the incoming call. This has nothing to do w the ISP, it only makes use of existing call-waiting technologies and it actually works pretty well. V92 sounds a bit diff from this "older" technology but I wonder if you still need to have call waiting along w v92 in order to know if a call is pending.
( Last edited by robby818; Sep 2, 2002 at 07:14 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules