Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > need help using 'internal' trackpad over wireless usb hub

need help using 'internal' trackpad over wireless usb hub
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2011, 08:55 PM

I have a usb trackpad that used to be a mbp top - hence it's an 'internal' trackpad (in System Profiler). It works great plugged into any usb jack. The problem is with the wireless usb hub. I can see it in System Profiler but the Mac Pro apparently isn't looking for an internal trackpad in such a place. Is there any way to 'point' it at the trackpad on the usb hub?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2011, 03:51 AM

What kind of "Wireless USB hub"?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Mar 28, 2011, 05:24 AM

Yes, do you have a link to that hub?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2011, 02:08 PM

The hub is a WiRanger USB 2.0 wireless wi-fi device. Great product BTW.

I suspect that I'd need better buffering for this to work. To put it another way - I suspect that the usb connection for this Macbook Pro trackpad isn't made to be truly hot plugable because it normally doesn't have to be. I think the issue is that over the wireless there will be lags or dropouts here and there and this trackpad would need to be more hot-swap capable to work in this application.

It works great just plugging into the Mac although I have had the usb port shut down a couple times when I pulled the plug out. Maybe I need to add some basic usb buffer circuit. Maybe I should just buy a track pad from Apple since they're making them now and quit screwing around...
Still, this one would be a perfect fit for my wireless mixer, so I'm still interested in a solution.

P
Mar 30, 2011, 04:10 AM

Any reason you can't just go with a Magic Trackpad? I can understand reusing existing parts, but if you're thinking about building something new anyway...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules