Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > very weird permission problem

very weird permission problem
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 12:45 PM

Since 10.3.8 is out I repaired my permission and no matter how many times I repair them I ALWAYS get the same weird message besides the usual �new permissions are 33261�

Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

R�paration des autorisations termin�e

the bold part is what never goes away. I already tryed to repair permissions 6 or 7 times so this is not normal. Is it a major problem? How do I solve that? I'm clueless

Thanks
DeeKat

voyageur
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

I (and others) started getting that permissions message after installing Apple's most recent security update, 2005-001, I think. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 05:02 PM

great thanks! does anybody else is getting that message?

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 04:34 PM

Yeah I'm getting that message too and not too worried about it since everything works. Its just annoying.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 05:46 PM

Take a look at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Resources/HintFile.plist

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 09:02 AM

Not that this is a complaint, since the latest upgrade, my Macintosh HD has turn into a read only drive. It is simply remedy by repair the permissions, and all is good. My gut is that Onyx has something to do with. Not sure. Overall I like the program, and use it for Pre-Binding, and trashing old caches, etc.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Take a look at /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Resources/HintFile.plist
Okay... so this plist file seems to specify specific permissions and uid for the offending nodes. What is it there for? Do we edit it to fix the problem? Hmm...

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
Okay... so this plist file seems to specify specific permissions and uid for the offending nodes. What is it there for? Do we edit it to fix the problem? Hmm...
No, you don't need to edit it - THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

Normally Disk Utility corrects permissions on files to what they were installed as, using the Bill-of-Materials (BOM) in the Installer package receipts (see /Library/Receipts). That file specifies overrides, which are necessary for whatever reason or another. Perhaps they ahve the wrong permissions in the BOM and Apple corrected it via a software update, I don't know.

I was trying to point out that THIS IS NORMAL and you SHOULD NOT CARE.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 10:15 PM

To supplement Angus_D's great post, I have been using OS X since 10.0 and have seen the message "we are using special permissions" for various files ever since I did my first permissions repair. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perhaps Apple needs to modify that message so that it does not spook people.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by powermacj7:
Not that this is a complaint, since the latest upgrade, my Macintosh HD has turn into a read only drive. It is simply remedy by repair the permissions, and all is good. My gut is that Onyx has something to do with. Not sure. Overall I like the program, and use it for Pre-Binding, and trashing old caches, etc.
Are you using the latest version (v1.4.9) of OnyX? It sure seems strange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules