Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How Will You Upgrade to Tiger?

View Poll Results: What method will you use to upgrade to Tiger?
Poll Options:
Clean install 111 votes (41.89%)
Archive and install 67 votes (25.28%)
Simple upgrade 82 votes (30.94%)
Not upgrading 5 votes (1.89%)
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll
How Will You Upgrade to Tiger? (Page 2)
JMII
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 10:37 AM

Archive and install worked on my G4 MDD when going from Jag to Panther, so I'll do the same for Tiger. Before hand however I will backup all my apps and home folder of course. I back up once a month and before installing ANY update just to be safe. I also do the repair permissions before/after thing... not sure if it helps but it takes all of 2 mintues so I figure why not?

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 11:23 AM

I'll do a nice clean install. Back everything up, then format, and install.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

rmongold
Apr 13, 2005, 02:49 PM

I'll probably do a backup, format and install and then wait a few days... Once I'm comfortable with everything, I'll do the same to my wife's PowerBook. Not sure why, but I love rebuilding a machine after wiping the hard drive.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 03:18 PM

Backup files

Zero Drive

Install Tiger (grrreat!!)

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

BGK
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 03:23 PM

From my iBook, I'm thinking about connecting to my old G4 tower (cd drive only) via Firewire Target Disk mode and installing Tiger that way. A friend suggested this should work, though he is not sure. Anyone do this with previous versions of OS X?
I want the ability to sleep in the snow, if I have to. I want the ability to want to.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 04:17 PM

Oh, Tiger will come pre-installed

on my new Dual-Core iMac G5, natch.

from ThinkScecret
It's unclear whether the new G5s will pack IBM's dual-core 970MP processor, code-named "Antares" or its younger brother, the single-core 970GX. Neither processor has been officially announced by IBM yet, but Apple has been working with prototypes of both since late last year.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 05:03 PM

I am going to do a full clean install. I don't care what os you use upgrade always slows stuff down. A Full Clean Install will give you a edge over just upgrading.
Plus, It gives you time to clean crap off your computer. Like programs you never use any more.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 05:32 PM

I'll upgrade when I buy a new Powerbook sometime in the next 2 months. So, I voted "clean install."

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 04:42 AM

Yeah i was tempted by archive and install like i originally said but the more i read peoples opinions i am thinking re-install will be best...

Backup all my data onto DVD's or something
- Let let Tiger Wipe it and start afresh
- Then move all my docs and music back
- Reinstall apps...

Thats sounding like the best plan
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Noonster
Yeah i was tempted by archive and install like i originally said but the more i read peoples opinions i am thinking re-install will be best...

Backup all my data onto DVD's or something
- Let let Tiger Wipe it and start afresh
- Then move all my docs and music back
- Reinstall apps...

Thats sounding like the best plan
Well, you can certainly go ahead and do that, but it has little, if any, advantage over Archive and Install.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Well, you can certainly go ahead and do that, but it has little, if any, advantage over Archive and Install.
OK then

Back to the Achive and Install idea i was first going with
- Guess it will save me hours of backing up onto DVD's

Thanks
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 10:02 AM

Start with Onyx run - Archive and Install - Followed by Onyx Run
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

shearm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 11:13 AM

Pardon my ignorance here, but I wonder if you all could help answer some questions I have about this process.

I have two separate hard drives in my dual 1.42 G4. I have Panther and Apps/files on one. I use the other as scratch for video. Each has about 40gig left.

So here are the questions:

1. Can I simply leave Panther on the one drive and install Tiger on the scratch drive, boot from that, and slowly move stuff over, eventually using the second drive as the main boot drive, and the first one as the scratch? My thought was that way, I get a clean install, can install only the applications I really need, and won't have to take the time to backup all my files, photos, email, etc. to DVDs.

2. If I do that, are there any drawbacks? Will I be able to move over all my email in Apple Mail? The Address Book contacts? Iphoto database? Imovie/IDVD files? Other stuff I'm probably forgetting? Can I switch back and forth between Panther and Tiger if I do this?

3. If I do an archive and reinstall instead, will that transfer all my applications, or just my files/documents/photos? I have most of my basic applications in the standard APPLICATIONS folder, but I also have a separate APPS folder that I have installed lots of other stuff into. Will that cause a problem during the archive and reinstall?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by shearm
Pardon my ignorance here, but I wonder if you all could help answer some questions I have about this process.

2. If I do that, are there any drawbacks? Will I be able to move over all my email in Apple Mail? The Address Book contacts? Iphoto database? Imovie/IDVD files? Other stuff I'm probably forgetting? Can I switch back and forth between Panther and Tiger if I do this?

Mike
Moving iPhoto, iTunes, email, and address book, (etc) should be a simple drag and drop, so long as you create a new user with the same name and password under 10.4 so you don't encounter any permissions problems.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

shearm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks.
So that means that I can install on the second drive, as long as I set up my main user with the same name/password? Do I have that right?

How will the install present? I stick the DVD in, reboot, and it will give me the option to install on my second disk? Is it that simple?

again, thanks for the indulgence, here.

Mike

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 01:33 PM

OK then

Back to the Achive and Install idea i was first going with
- Guess it will save me hours of backing up onto DVD's

Thanks
Well, I'm not saying that you shouldn't back up your stuff onto DVDs, because that's a good idea anyway. You'll like having a backup if your hard drive crashes, your computer gets stolen, you accidentally delete something you didn't mean to, etc.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 01:45 PM

Well, I'm not saying that you shouldn't back up your stuff onto DVDs, because that's a good idea anyway. You'll like having a backup if your hard drive crashes, your computer gets stolen, you accidentally delete something you didn't mean to, etc.
Yeah i know your not saying that mate....
- I always keep a backup on DVD's anyways... only thing not on DVDs is my music and thats all i am worried about losing etc...
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by shearm
Thanks.
So that means that I can install on the second drive, as long as I set up my main user with the same name/password? Do I have that right?

How will the install present? I stick the DVD in, reboot, and it will give me the option to install on my second disk? Is it that simple?

again, thanks for the indulgence, here.

Mike
Yes, it's that simple. You can install it on any bootable partition or physical drive.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2005, 01:45 AM

I've never upgraded a mac OS before, so I have a question. Can I back up my current HD using carbon copy cloner to my FW drive, then zero the internal drive and install tiger, then when asked if I am upgrading from an old computer and if so plug it in, can i plug in my bootable FW drive and it will transfer all programs files etc? Is this a good way to do it? Any downfall to doing it this way? This seems the easiest :-)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ero2
I've never upgraded a mac OS before, so I have a question. Can I back up my current HD using carbon copy cloner to my FW drive, then zero the internal drive and install tiger, then when asked if I am upgrading from an old computer and if so plug it in, can i plug in my bootable FW drive and it will transfer all programs files etc? Is this a good way to do it? Any downfall to doing it this way? This seems the easiest :-)
Well, yeah, you can do that, but it's not the "easiest." The easiest would be just to install Tiger over your current installation without worrying about reformatting.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2005, 04:07 AM

but it would be a good way to do it, so I don't have to reinstall any of my programs, or keychains, settings, etc? correct?

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2005, 07:41 AM

I plan to do a clean install, and use .Mac & sync to take care of my bookmarks, address, etc.

shearm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 12:22 PM

When I install onto my second drive, i can do that without erasing the drive, right? I have one folder on that drive, but it's got 40 gigs of video files. If I install onto that drive, it will just leave that folder untouched, correct?

Mike

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2005, 04:05 AM

Seems like Clean Install is leading the way....

Does anyone know the advantages of this over achive and install.... as doing a clean intall seems like a longer way to get back to what achive and install does.

Am i looking at this wrong??
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2005, 05:46 AM

I will do the usual Clean Install like I did when upgrading from Jaguar some time ago. I feel more secure doing it this way because then I know that the system will be running smooth. I could do an Archive and Install - I don't know.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 05:52 AM

Seems like Clean Install is leading the way....

Does anyone know the advantages of this over achive and install.... as doing a clean intall seems like a longer way to get back to what achive and install does.

Am i looking at this wrong??
Not from where I stand. It really mystifies me why all these people are insisting on erasing their hard drive. Yeah, on Windows it would be a good idea, but this is a Mac. Reformatting will get you little benefit that you wouldn't have just gotten from a plain old archive and install.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by powermacj7
I plan to do a clean install, and use .Mac & sync to take care of my bookmarks, address, etc.
Yep, and especially with the new features in Tiger. can also use Backup to copy stuff like Safari settings, iTunes playlists, etc. Mail too.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

passmaster16
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Archive and install. I've got way too many hours into installing copy-protected stuff like Logic, Macromedia Freehand MX, Quark 6.5 and a set of Photoshop spot sep plug-ins. Besides, what would I do without all my 10.1 crash reports?
I was thinking the same. Normally when I install a new OS, X or Windows, I always do a clean install. Now that I have all the apps loaded on my system, I just don't feel like backing up the data, installing the OS, and reinstalling the apps...so I think I'll just skip to installing the OS and be done with it. I'm not so sure that there is much benefit to doing a fresh install of OS X other than doing a cleanup of junk files and apps that I don't need...this would differ greatly from Windows as I always do a clean install - registry...gasp

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 02:02 PM

Reformatting will get you little benefit that you wouldn't have just gotten from a plain old Upgrade Install.
fixed

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 06:14 AM

^ Fixed what?
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 06:27 AM

there's little advantage of doing an archive install instead of upgrade install anymore, unless you're upgrading from beta versions or stuff like that. Who would waste time to do clean or even format installs just to get the "freshness" feel?*

*Yes I know, a lot of you would
( Last edited by Busemann; Apr 22, 2005 at 07:01 AM. )

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 07:26 AM

Archive/Install.

*I also just upgraded my 'NN sig for Tiger!

Hamgard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chito
I'll just upgrade. Always have. Damn the torpedos....full speed ahead!
Admiral David Farragut at Mobile Bay August 1864. Brilliant, what a life creed

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
there's little advantage of doing an archive install instead of upgrade install anymore, unless you're upgrading from beta versions or stuff like that. Who would waste time to do clean or even format installs just to get the "freshness" feel?*

*Yes I know, a lot of you would
Well, I've changed my position a bit on Archive and Install. There are a few benefits it will give you over a normal upgrade:

1. If you have a bunch of third party kernel extensions installed, which might conflict with a new OS update and cause kernel panics (especially Symantec stuff), an Archive and Install will get rid of them.

2. If you have other assorted detritus installed in /System by apps such as third-party speech engines or what not, Archive and Install will clean them out.

3. Assorted junk that build up in /usr and the other UNIX folders from installing open-source software (depending on how much you use said software, this could also be a reason not to do an Archive and Install)

4. I just had an issue pop up yesterday with a machine that once had 10.2 on it, and on which postfix wasn't working because the permissions in the /var/spool/postfix directory were messed up, apparently because the Repair Permissions script used to bungle the permissions up in there under 10.2, and now the machine's got the problem left over from the old OS.

So, yeah, Archive and Install has a few advantages. And I'm glad it's there, because it reduces the number of people telling newbies to reformat their hard drives. This ain't Windows, folks...

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:57 PM

Archive Install
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 06:37 PM

Well, I've changed my position a bit on Archive and Install. There are a few benefits it will give you over a normal upgrade:

3. Assorted junk that build up in /usr and the other UNIX folders from installing open-source software (depending on how much you use said software, this could also be a reason not to do an Archive and Install)
Can someone explain this further?

Does Archive and Install transfer things like MySQL databases, software libraries in /usr, stuff that fink installed, etc? It has never been clear to me what gets cleaned and what doesn't.

I understand that everything in /Users and /Applications are fine, but those are also the easiest to backup ... the other stuff takes time, and I'm lazy.

Norm Nager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

In anticipation of Tiger and my wish to be able to still use Panther as needed while checking out how well all my favorite applications work with 10.4, I re-partitioned each hard drive.

But the dual Panther-Tiger booting options is only one of several reasons for the setup of volumes. First, however, these are the four principal volumes:

1. Tiger Volume: An empty partition awaits Tiger for a clean install.

2. Panther Volume : OS 10.3.9

3. Apps Volume: All non-OS-installed applications with a couple exceptions have been moved to an applications volume so that I can access them from either Panther or Tiger, whichever is booted. (The exceptions are iLife 2005 (for updating by Software Update), TechTool Pro and my antivirus program, both of which only function from the OS volume.

4. Data Volume: All documents, music and photos now reside in an OS-free partition. I had to direct iPhoto and iTunes where to find my photos and music. And I had to alias the Microsoft User Data folder and iData Pro datafiles folder to the OS volume. In all cases, the word "alias" and leading space before it were nipped off.

Why go through all this beyond gaining the ability to have easy access to data and my own applications from either Tiger or Panther during the time it takes for developers to come out with Tiger-compatible versions of those applications that may still only launch and work well while booted into Panther:

A. For the same reasons others in this thread said they opted for a clean installation of Tiger.

B. Other big cats will follow as surely as OS X has seen Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, and, now, Tiger come out of the jungle. (Surely there will be a Lion or a tabby cat?) And once the Panther volume can be erased, the partition will be there not only for 10.5 but also for any major updates of 10.4.

C. In the course of some early-phase beta testing and other situations on a few occasions, I've had the OS become so corrupted, that I had to do erase-and-clean installs and rely on backups of documents, re-install applications and then use the updaters I had downloaded and saved. Those erase-and-clean operations required not only the time-consuming installation from the Apple CDs, but then capturing all the updates to the OS through either Software Update or an Apple Combo Updater.

Early phase beta testing, however, has not been the only culprit in messing up the OS beyond fixing with Repair Permissions, TechTool Pro 4.0.3 and DiskWarrior 3.0.2: On one occasion, the recalled first of two releases of the update to OS 10.2.6 corrupted my boot volume beyond fixing. On another an application that should have had more beta testing before its public release set off a chain of events that inlcuded creation of too many overlapped/crosslinked extent allocations for DiskWarrior to fix.

Respectfully, Norm
( Last edited by Norm Nager; Apr 24, 2005 at 03:44 PM. Reason: fill in missing words)

SomeToast
Senior User
Apr 24, 2005, 05:44 PM

4. I just had an issue pop up yesterday with a machine that once had 10.2 on it, and on which postfix wasn't working because the permissions in the /var/spool/postfix directory were messed up, apparently because the Repair Permissions script used to bungle the permissions up in there under 10.2, and now the machine's got the problem left over from the old OS.
Repair Permissions causing damage? Don't let the Repair Permissions Fetishists hear you say that!

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 03:31 AM

Descided - Clean install for me
- Backup my files i need onto my brothers Powerbook and then transfer back after install.
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

callefoss
Apr 29, 2005, 07:06 AM

Hi,

I wanna try to install Tiger on a second partition and try if some of my important apps work before I do a clean install. So, the question is if I install it on a second partition, when I then reboot will I automatically have the option to boot from 10.3.9 and 10.4 ? Are there any other things I need to do or is it as smooth as this?

Thanx

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 07:19 AM

buying a new PM!!!! (yesterday in fact)

also, is like Steve sleeping with CNN?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

this artile is like apple.com distilled into an article

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 08:30 AM

Archive/Install for my first Mac OS upgrade...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

callefoss
Apr 29, 2005, 10:05 AM

So, the question is if I install it on a second partition, when I then reboot will I automatically have the option to boot from 10.3.9 and 10.4 ? Are there any other things I need to do or is it as smooth as this?

Anybody?

Thanx

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 02:34 PM

I'm hoping to do the archive and install but I have a few questions.

1) Will my keychain passwords be ok? I assume yes but i have way to many passwords in there to loose.

2) I kinda threw out some important files last night. They were in the library/receipts folder. I could then not fix disk permissions w/o them. I found some replacement files and got that all working again, however I don't know if there are any long term issues that could come over with Tiger.

2a) While on that topic, is there any way to clean out the library/receipts folder without harming anything? I had stuff in there from years ago and like 4 iCal packages. Seems like a waste of space.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 02:43 PM

1) It's lose not loose. Loose means not tight.

Do you have .Mac? You can use Backup to save your keychain and reinstall. Or you can simply do an archive and install and clean stuff out.

Receipts don't take up much space. Shouldn't throw away unless you're sure about it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 03:06 PM

I'll probably just find the torrent, download it, burn it to DVD; backup Panther, then upgrade.

Nah, I'm kidding I'll just go buy it at the store.

GS_
I have Mac

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:18 PM

Did Archive & Install a few hours ago and everything went spotless from 10.3 to 10.4. All my mails, keychains, apps, etc, just perfect!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 08:03 PM

Is there any quantifiable data showing the advantage of Clean or Archive & Install over a regular upgrade?

- System responsiveness?
- Finder speed?
- Propensity to crash?
- Etc.

Bottom line from what I've read here: Lots of emotional opinions based on past habits and anecdotal evidence. Is there any hard data supporting it?

Jupeman
Apr 29, 2005, 09:08 PM

I damned the torpedoes, went balls-to-the-wall, and clicked "upgrade". No backup no nothing. Seems to have worked fine. So far so good. Mmm, Tiger...

http://homepage.mac.com/jupeman/.Pictures/Tiger.jpg
( Last edited by Detrius; May 1, 2005 at 06:38 PM. Reason: image too large)
Lots of Macs in the house...
Mac owner since 1985

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 05:33 AM

Installed mine last night - went for Upgrade and Install and maintain users, etc...
- Went through fine no probs at all....
- Happy to see that almost all my apps etc... work, some dont though but i am sure updates will be out soon.

Very happy man
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules