Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why you'll see lots of folks wearing red on Fridays. Read it here first.

Why you'll see lots of folks wearing red on Fridays. Read it here first. (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 05:16 PM

This is how I support "our" troops. Cheers.

-t

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:17 PM

I think if the terrorists and insurgents and terrorist insurgents and insurgent terrorists watch the news and hear that a majority of Americans are against the war and disfavor President Bush's handling of the war but then see a sea of Americans wearing red in solidarity, they might have a mental meltdown or something.

Only a few of the IT's have the ability to distinguish between support for the troops and support for the war. Their doubts will be reinforced by the red wearing hordes and they will be less resolute.

Maybe?

meelk
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 05:17 PM

This had to have come from AOL.
It reeks of the sheer stupidity of AOL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 05:18 PM

Maybe not...

-t

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tito Puente
I thought that's what the US army does with their large arsenal of weapons?
Nope, I am not aware of the US military utilizing any such primitive headchopping techniques. You should really read up on the matter, instead of making such uninformed and false allegations.

And yes, the USA does have a huge arsenal of weapons, more than anybody else. We've got bunker busters to fit any situation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
This had to have come from AOL.
It reeks of the sheer stupidity of AOL.
Or Coca Cola. The next thing is to make us wear white, swoosh shaped ribbons.

-t

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Nope, I am not aware of the US military utilizing any such primitive headchopping techniques. You should really read up on the matter, instead of making such uninformed and false allegations.

And yes, the USA does have a huge arsenal of weapons, more than anybody else. We've got bunker busters to fit any situation.

Oh, I don't know about that. When I worked for a large defence contractor (in a former life), I am fairly sure I saw weapons that can indeed take a person's head off.

You might want to re-think what a simple rifle can do.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:25 PM

I support my troops. Thats why I want them home.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by KevinK
How is calling all troops baby killers only calling some people baby killers in any way?
Anyone who says that all troops are baby killers is either a) using a common and well-known literary device known as hyperbole to emphasize their case or b) an idiot.

In the case of a, any educated, literate, and intelligent person would understand that they don't actually mean what they say literally, and respond to the actual point that is underneath the hyperbole. This is what is known as intelligent discourse.

In the case of b, they can be safely ignored and there's no need to even acknowledge their input in discussion.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 05:31 PM

Oh, I don't disagree with that.

I've fired a shotgun before, I know what weapons can do.

That's sort of the point in a war, to kill the enemy.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 05:35 PM

Oh, I don't disagree with that.

I've fired a shotgun before, I know what weapons can do.

That's sort of the point in a war, to kill the enemy.

But we have differing views on how one interprets the use of those guns.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:45 PM

But we have differing views on how one interprets the use of those guns.
When I am unable to convince you to my point of view by means of discussion, incentives, the promise of incentives or threats the only alternatives are to a) change MY point of view or my insistence that I get MY way or b) kill YOU and/or enough YOU's to convince you and yours to my point of view.

Simple. If I can't get my way, you die and suffer greatly until you agree with me.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
When I am unable to convince you to my point of view by means of discussion, incentives, the promise of incentives or threats the only alternatives are to a) change MY point of view or my insistence that I get MY way or b) kill YOU and/or enough YOU's to convince you and yours to my point of view.

Simple. If I can't get my way, you die and suffer greatly until you agree with me.

Pretty much sums it up.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2005, 05:47 PM

Ahh, so he only dies until he agrees with you, then he doesn't die anymore?

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín

You actually understood that much of it?

I kid, mojo2.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:50 PM

Until you decide he needs to agree with YOU. Then you can start killing him.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 05:53 PM

You actually understood that much of it?

I kid, mojo2.
Actually, I was speaking from the point of view of the Insurgent Terrorists. But it really doesn't matter.

Guns and bombs are a form of mind control. Anyone can do it. So, if anyone can do it and many do do it, is anyone really justified in do doing it?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 06:00 PM

Either

this "wear red" day is a good ploy by the clothing industry to create demand

or

a couple of guys have had a bet "hey, I bet you a dollar I can get half the country wearing red on Fridays"

I fail to see how troops overseas are going to see people back home wearing red clothes. This is just a way of making a feel good group mentality for people who are obviously feeling vulnerable. Its nothing about the troops - its about making yourself feel better.

Want to do something for the troops? Write a letter of thanks to one (or more) of them and befriend their family back in America who must be **** scared.
this sig intentionally left blank

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by simonjames
a couple of guys have had a bet "hey, I bet you a dollar I can get half the country wearing red on Fridays"
A couple of guys at the White House ?

-t

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by simonjames
Either

this "wear red" day is a good ploy by the clothing industry to create demand
Possible.

or a couple of guys have had a bet "hey, I bet you a dollar I can get half the country wearing red on Fridays"
Possible.

Neither possibility negates the effect of a massive implementation of the proposal.

I fail to see how troops overseas are going to see people back home wearing red clothes.
News travels.

This is just a way of making a feel good group mentality for people who are obviously feeling vulnerable. Its nothing about the troops - its about making yourself feel
better.
I think it will serve multiple purposes; your assertion among them.

Want to do something for the troops? Write a letter of thanks to one (or more) of them and befriend their family back in America who must be **** scared.
That's a good idea, too! Maybe doing so while wearing red on Fridays would be like going that extra mile?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
A couple of guys at the White House ?

-t
All we need now is Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd to make everything right. Right?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2005, 06:20 PM

Until you decide he needs to agree with YOU. Then you can start killing him.
Okay, so I make him die until he agrees with me, but only until I decide he needs to agree with me, at which point I can start killing him.

Now it all makes sense.

(And that's the whitest picture I've ever seen of Eddie Murphy)

Railroader
Banned
Jun 28, 2005, 06:22 PM

(And that's the whitest picture I've ever seen of Eddie Murphy)
Your assignment: Go rent "Trading Places" right now!

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:24 PM

Well now you know differently.
I think if the terrorists and insurgents and terrorist insurgents and insurgent terrorists watch the news and hear that a majority of Americans are against the war and disfavor President Bush's handling of the war but then see a sea of Americans wearing red in solidarity, they might have a mental meltdown or something

Oh, I don't know about that. When I worked for a large defence contractor (in a former life), I am fairly sure I saw weapons that can indeed take a person's head off.

You didn't just claim we had the ability. You said we did it.

We do not.

Stop being dishonest.
Originally Posted by nonhuman
Anyone who says that all troops are baby killers is either a) using a common and well-known literary device known as hyperbole to emphasize their case or b) an idiot.
I couldn't agree more.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 06:30 PM

Okay, so I make him die until he agrees with me, but only until I decide he needs to agree with me, at which point I can start killing him.

Now it all makes sense.
You would have a bright future in politics!

Edit: By the way, I mean that in the BEST and most humorous way possible!

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 06:31 PM

Well now you know differently.

You didn't just claim we had the ability. You said we did it.

We do not.

Stop being dishonest.

Um, you do have the ability to blow of people's heads. Or are you not understanding the flow of the conversation?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2005, 06:36 PM

This seems to be just another of mojo2's efforts to "stir up some sh*t." And it looks like he's been effective at it, too.

Tito, right now the only order in Iraq is that imposed by coalition forces and the Iraqi government-which is still rife with inexperienced and scared people. Since "the end of hostilities," insurgents have killed FAR more people than U.S. forces. And don't forget the Brit contingent...Oh, you HAVE forgotten them! They're the guys from the UK that have managed to turn Basra around from a lawless zone into a real city again. With consistent security, Iraqis are settling down into real life again. Yep, good things ARE happening in Iraq. But good things don't make news-it's only the bad stuff you see.

Instead of a casualty count, why don't the news agencies show how many Iraqis have power today and compare that to a year ago. And how many have safe water to drink. And how many actually have jobs, too. If all we see is people getting killed (which is pretty much all focused on the actions of suicide bombers lately), then we are never going to know what's really happening there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2005, 06:37 PM

You would have a bright future in politics!
Why, thank you, that's a very nice compliment.

(See, that combination of obvious lying and/or denial/hearing-what-one-wants-to-hear is another thing to prove what a great politician I'd make)

Edit: Just saw your edit—so I guess that gives me psychic powers instead, also useful for a politician...

ghporter: Funny you should be writing this at this particular time. There was a big special on this on the (Danish) news tonight, about the progresses made in Iraq since the war 'ended', in relation to the backsteps that have happened (mostly in the central Sunni areas, which were the areas previously favoured so much by Saddam Hussein).

(Sorry GH, thought you were Millennium for a second)

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:38 PM

Um, you do have the ability to blow of people's heads. Or are you not understanding the flow of the conversation?
You didn't claim we had the ability. No one would argue that. You claimed we DID it.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
This seems to be just another of mojo2's efforts to "stir up some sh*t." And it looks like he's been effective at it, too.

Tito, right now the only order in Iraq is that imposed by coalition forces and the Iraqi government-which is still rife with inexperienced and scared people. Since "the end of hostilities," insurgents have killed FAR more people than U.S. forces. And don't forget the Brit contingent...Oh, you HAVE forgotten them! They're the guys from the UK that have managed to turn Basra around from a lawless zone into a real city again. With consistent security, Iraqis are settling down into real life again. Yep, good things ARE happening in Iraq. But good things don't make news-it's only the bad stuff you see.
Why limit the casualty count to after the "end of hostilities"? That's being a touch dishonest.

How could I forget the Brits. I have two nephews serving with the Royal Marines. It seems many people can't fully grasp the idea of wanting their families back safely and supporting the Iraqi people.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 06:42 PM

You didn't claim we had the ability. No one would argue that. You claimed we DID it.

I'm saying you have the ability to blow people's heads off. That's what weapons can do to folks. Taking that to its natural conclusion, is to then say that people's heads HAVE been blown off.

This was said in reply to someone else mentioning Iraqis chopping heads off. I'm pointing out that it's a matter of perspective.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:43 PM

Why limit the casualty count to after the "end of hostilities"? That's being a touch dishonest.
To quote General Tommy Franks; "We don't do bodycounts."

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 06:46 PM

To quote General Tommy Franks; "We don't do bodycounts."

You certainly don't in Afghanistan.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:47 PM

I'm saying you have the ability to blow people's heads off. That's what weapons can do to folks.
That may be what you are saying NOW. But that isn't what you SAID.
Taking that to its natural conclusion, is to then say that people's heads HAVE been blown off.
No one ever said anything about anyone's head being BLOWN OFF.
This was said in reply to someone else mentioning Iraqis chopping heads off. I'm pointing out that it's a matter of perspective.
No, you are just spinning.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 06:47 PM

You certainly don't in Afghanistan.
Not in Iraq either, obviously. Or any other place, I would imagine.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 06:50 PM

That may be what you are saying NOW. But that isn't what you SAID.

No one ever said anything about anyone's head being BLOWN OFF.

No, you are just spinning.

What on earth are you talking about? What I said? Could you please elaborate on what you're trying to argue about here? Rather than chopping up bits of convo. and claiming victory over nothing.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 07:01 PM

What on earth are you talking about? What I said?
Would you please pay attention to what I post? Please?

Lets go over this slowly.

pachead said this
Yes, let us all support the barbaric headchoppers instead
You replied to him with this.
You claimed that the US army CHOPPED people's heads off with weapons.

When Pachead replied to you with

From which you replied and TOTALLY changed your argument with.

No one was arguing what America CAN or COULD do. You claimed we was. We are not.
Could you please elaborate on what you're trying to argue about here? .
Just did. That is as simple as it is going to get. If you can't understand what I am saying, not my fault.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
False (insincere, too???) accusations do not become you. I always believed you were a man of fairness and reason. I am not looking to stir up anything. I actually think in this way and it is just starting to occur to me, (and really open my eyes) that my run of the mill average thought processes really do stir people up.

Ah, the power of an idea.

ghporter, I wish you a long and happy life where nothing I EVER say will EVER cause you a troubled thought.

But, before you do anything rash, please consider what it would be like to have to self censor a good 20-40% of everything you might have to communicate (not talking profanity or just cantankery or nastiness) simply because there are people who don't want to think.

Thanks for your civility, if not the benefit of a doubt.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 07:06 PM

Would you please pay attention to what I post? Please?

Lets go over this slowly.

pachead said this

You replied to him with this.

You claimed that the US army CHOPPED people's heads off with weapons.

LMAO. Are you dense? You went through all that just to say this? Ever heard of euphemisms, rhetorical replies, wit, etc? Ever heard the saying "Man, I sure sliced his head off clean" in regards to someone being decapitated by bullets, and not a knife?

Pedantic much?

It'd be pretty hard to "chop" a head of with a turreted gun, don't you think? Couldn't you employ a little imagination? I mean, I only made it clear by saying, "large arsenal of weapons'

LOL.

You're really digging deep to try and get to argue.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Yeah, but how many pieces of flair do you have?
not as many as that pretty boy brian

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 07:16 PM

Um, political/war lounge?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 07:17 PM

LMAO. Are you dense? You went through all that just to say this? Ever heard of euphemisms, rhetorical replies, wit, etc? Ever heard the saying "Man, I sure sliced his head off clean" in regards to someone being decapitated by bullets, and not a knife?

Pedantic much?
No, just literalist.

He doesn't do "metaphor".

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 07:18 PM

Pedantic much?
Wow you personally attack me, AND backpedal in one post.

Congratulations.
It'd be pretty hard to "chop" a head of with a turreted gun, don't you think? Couldn't you employ a little imagination? I mean, I only made it clear by saying, "large arsenal of weapons'

LOL.

You're really digging deep to try and get to argue.
No, No I am not. You made false claims ( I am not the only one that pointed it out) And then backpedaled and started to personally attack when called out for it.

Please quit it. You are being dishonest.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
No, just literalist.

He doesn't do "metaphor".

lmao. I needed a laugh.

Cheers.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 07:22 PM

Wow you personally attack me, AND backpedal in one post.

Congratulations.

Yeah, yeah. It's ok, kid, maybe next time. At least Pachead, whom i totally disagree with, managed to understand the concept of arguing, discussion, repartee (feel free to look that one up), etc.

As to insulting you. I can smell a baiter a mile off, so don't expect pleasantries.

"When people start to comment on the form of the message, it is a sign that they have problems to accept the truth of the message." - Anon.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 07:25 PM

Yeah, yeah. It's ok, kid, maybe next time.

At least Pachead, whom i totally disagree with, managed to understand the concept of arguing, discussion, repartee (feel free to look that one up), etc.
Don't have to. Pachead busted you for the same thing.
As to insulting you. I can smell a baiter a mile off, so don't expect pleasantries.
Your smelling yourself.
"When people start to comment on the form of the message, it is a sign that they have problems to accept the truth of the message." - Anon.
Nonsense. Stop blaming your faults on others.

You are doing it in this thread too

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=261334&page=2]

I bet it's turtle's fault also huh?

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 07:30 PM

Don't have to. Pachead busted you for the same thing.

Doing what? This thread has nothgin to do with any other. I mentioned from the outset in that other thread that I might be wrong in the character I said was having an incestuous affair. I even acknowledged I was wrong when RAILhead managed to find the exact part of the Bible. Still, I was on track with the incestuous thing.

this thread is turning into you failing to grasp modern dialogue.

You're quite the little pedant.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 07:36 PM

Why, thank you, that's a very nice compliment.

(See, that combination of obvious lying and/or denial/hearing-what-one-wants-to-hear is another thing to prove what a great politician I'd make)

Edit: Just saw your edit—so I guess that gives me psychic powers instead, also useful for a politician...
You've got my vote once you figure out how to make it to Hollywood and become a screen idol millionaire!

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 28, 2005, 07:41 PM

Doing what? This thread has nothgin to do with any other.
I never said it did. But you are indeed doing the same thing in here. Dodging responsibility of you being wrong, and blame shifting.
I mentioned from the outset in that other thread that I might be wrong in the character I said was having an incestuous affair. I even acknowledged I was wrong when RAILhead managed to find the exact part of the Bible. Still, I was on track with the incestuous thing.
NO NO NO. Even after being told you were wrong, you STILL made the claim it was Noah. It wasn't till you was told 3 or 4 times.

Then when someone said "Finally" you accused another user of causing you to be confused by totally denying the story .

Something HE NEVER DID.

I asked you for a quote, and you went off into a incoherent spin about me being someone from Usenet while personally attacking me.

If you don't like me busting you for being dishonest. DON'T DO IT.

It's that simple.

Tito Puente
Jun 28, 2005, 07:45 PM

Kevin - I can NOT take anything you say here seriously now. I'm sorry, but I'm having fits just knowing you're Kevin from the old days on Usenet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules