Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MACWORLD - the aftermath.....

MACWORLD - the aftermath.....
Santoriello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 06:27 PM

BEFORE.....(hopeful?)
I have been reading the rumor sites trying to get a grasp on what may and may not be announced in NYC today, and I had my own ideas about what would happen, trying to not get to hopeful and keep things in perspective. I did not post my beliefs, just a Mac faithful/professional for too many years having fun. My plan was to view/read the keynote highlights and then get to the show in NYC (from Hoboken NJ). With a great connection to the keynote (wow) surely it would be a birthday to remember

[b]AFTER.....(anger!)[B/]
Stores : The fact that Apple does not have their NYC store open for MacWorld is the biggest marketing blunder in recent Apple history!! The sales, The news, The Love-In, The pain of it all. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?!?! They are thinking "We have nothing to show, so why bust our arse to get it done". I guess they were right!
OSX : Shipping in September is a tragedy, why? " iDVD rocks, DVD StudioPro rocks, SuperDrive rocks, DVD is future, DVD is today, DVD is for consumers, DV-Depressing!" OSX DOES NOT PLAY DVD, WHAT?!? Tragedy! And, this is not a current OS until Photoshop is at least announced, and why where all those demos, just demos? It looked fast (dual 800?) and it seems to be getting better, but a tragedy none the less.
Portables : The highlight for Apple these days. These machines rock! No changes is good news here, just keep building portables.
iMac : This is just an economic issue, make new products, so people want to buy, so you make more money. But that didn't happen. They are waiting to clear inventory to save money, or the stuff just ain't done. The timing for educational buying surge is good for Apple, next buying cycle will see innovation I hope. However, the current models are overpriced. Can you say common theme?
PowerMacs : I am one of those people who think the G4 chip is just more powerful than the PC equivalent, I am not that worried about mhz. I just want innovation and value. We got none of that! The new cases look good, so friggin what?!? Imagine being "Joe Shmo" and paying $3,500 for a 733mhz G4 a month ago! That is $2,000 difference! OH MY GOD, THE INJUSTICE, WHO DOES THIS? I GUESS THAT SHOWS HOW CRAZILY OVERPRICED THESE MACHINES ARE! THINK ABOUT THAT, JUST THINK!! The 867 G4 seems like the only thing announced today that resembles a value, although I am not sure AND I have to wait to get it! The dual 800 is also OVERPRICED. More ram please, it is cheap, HELLO? Every G4 should at least have the option of a superdrive, come on now. Exclusive in January maybe, but get over yourself! 733mhz G4 with superdrive option - $2,100? anyone?
Displays/Deals : Can anyone tell me why Apple can't give Combo
Deals...
867 G4 with 22" display = $4,500
800 G4 with 22" display = $5,250
733 G4 with superdrive & 22" display = $4,000
733 G4 with superdrive & 17" display = $3,000
Or lower the dam prices, 22" display to $2,000, 17" to $900!
Mhz Myth : I actually enjoyed that
iDVD2 : Is this for Consumers or not? only bundled with high end machines. What the hell is going on with that? iDVD2 should be bundled with ALL machines, Studio Pro should be bundled with ALL high end machines, FOR FREE. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? Was he really showcasing different themes, for that long? Nice consumer commercial, Elope. General consumers won't pay the price for high end Macs just to burn DVDs, even if you go door-to-door, forget about closing the sale in the Stores.

[b]BEYOND.....(fear~)[B/]
Trust : Despite my rant, I trust Steve and company, really I do.
You're Fired! : But somebody really screwed up here, VERY BADLY. I know the market conditions are poor, but Apple and Steve would never get up on that stage and deliver such a pathetic offering in NYC MacWorld, never! I have no doubt that Apple will wow us again very soon, I have faith. But heads should roll, really roll. Apple has LOST MOMENTUM !! Very bad for any company, especially Apple, and especially NOW! If they could have kept in going with great innovative products, EVERYONE would have started to expect
that, not just us!
Sorry : So they are in the same place they are always in, trying to "make it up to us" and our future marketshare-mac-mates.
Maybe? : This is just a sign, like they said, that "MacWorld Shows" are NOT gonna be the "Place" to launch new products or services. GOD... I hope so!!
Oh... one more thing : Did Apple not have a great announcement, the launch of their iPhoto, because Adobe wanted to negotiate with Apple about just shelving it??
Santoriello Studios
www.santoriello.com
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules