Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Please tell me...

Please tell me... (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 04:38 PM

Really, we need to take this to the next level. Someone needs to go into a rage over the permaban that they in turn get a permaban.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2011, 04:54 PM

This forum's dying anyways. Why not?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 05:56 PM

I nominate you Dakara..

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm not buying the "threatening" PMs, either, although that's obviously speculative on my part. Angry, sure. Legitimately threatening? Nah.
Yep. I think we're talking about an over-literal reading of a rant.

E.g. "F*ck you" could be (mis)taken as a physical threat to rape somebody.

Only problem is that in 99.999999999999999999% of the cases, it doesn't mean that at all.

-t

Rumor
Aug 29, 2011, 08:57 PM

There is a lot of assumption in here that a threat has to be illegal or physical...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
There is a lot of assumption in here that a threat has to be illegal or physical...
Sure. That's why it's called a threat. A rant is not a threat for a reason.

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2011, 11:44 PM

He's banned, reason was given as to why.

/thread

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 02:26 AM

In this thread, there are two kinds of assumptions:

1. RR threatened a mod in a PM, and we should take their word for it.
2. RR got upset in a PM, and a mod took/presented it as a threat, pushing the over-exaggeration button just a bit.

Each assumption probably has its roots in feelings from the Political/War Lounge carrying over into perception over what kind of person RR is. The fact of the matter: we won't know unless the PMs are presented publicly, which neither the mods nor RR are obligated to do. Also, it might be a little tacky.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 03:42 AM

What thread(s) did all this take place in anyway?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 05:54 AM

Oh, to hell with it. Looks to me like we've got an instant-messaging crew trying to intervene on RR's behalf but just looking like a whiny lot of pussies instead. Out with it, guys. Stop doing the whole "ohhhhhh, I don't know what was saaaaaaaiiiiidddddd" and just come out and say "I seem to have talked to RR yesterday and he said this, and I haven't talked to anyone else but I'm going to obliquely say that I believe what he said."

Grow the **** up. Seriously. Railroader is a grown-ass man who can't stop from getting into stupid ****ing arguments with a obnoxious needling ******** like besson3c. Hopefully he's embarrassed; he should be. He just got banned from an internet forum. Maybe one of you guys can dish out a little of that "personal responsibility" advice y'all love to preach but apparently not practice, and tell him to suck it up, be a man, take his lumps, and learn his lesson here.

But noooo, instead we get Doofy flying off the handle and calling all the moderators whiny names and apparently trying hard for another ban.

What a pathetic bunch. I'm seriously disgusted.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 06:33 AM

:like:

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2011, 12:54 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Maybe one of you guys can dish out a little of that "personal responsibility" advice y'all love to preach but apparently not practice, and tell him to suck it up, be a man, take his lumps, and learn his lesson here.
Yeah, you may have a good point here. Wonder if any of these people have commented about MacNN being a private website which can rule as they see fit in response to other complaints about moderation before.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 02:44 PM

Oh, to hell with it. Looks to me like we've got an instant-messaging crew trying to intervene on RR's behalf but just looking like a whiny lot of pussies instead. Out with it, guys. Stop doing the whole "ohhhhhh, I don't know what was saaaaaaaiiiiidddddd" and just come out and say "I seem to have talked to RR yesterday and he said this, and I haven't talked to anyone else but I'm going to obliquely say that I believe what he said."
I've seen the PMs.
You silly boy.

But noooo, instead we get Doofy flying off the handle and calling all the moderators whiny names and apparently trying hard for another ban.
"Flying off the handle"?
I'm just making a comment.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 04:06 PM

My communication with RR is limited primarily to liking each other's Facebook/G+ comments from time to time, commenting on pictures, and seeing what each other plays on PSN. He messaged me the other day saying, "I was upset, but this whole 'threatening a mod' business didn't happen." I'm not saying he's been 100% right on these forums by any means (none of us have), but he genuinely seems like a really good guy, and he's given me no reason to doubt his statement, especially after he was 100% willing to admit to the other things he did wrong.

I almost completely stopped going to the P/W Lounge because I was tired of getting upset, and I didn't want to get under other people's skin either, especially when everyone is already 99.99% set in their own ways. Once I realized I was pissing off one of the guys on my XBL list in the P/W Lounge, and quickly ceased participating in one of the discussions because it's not worth losing communication with someone, even if it is an online relationship.That's my own personal stance on Internet forum decorum, so that's why I usually don't get involved.

The moderators here are at liberty to handle these matters any way they see fit, but that doesn't mean they're infallible. I've never had that much of an issue with anything they've done, since they all seem to be stand-up guys (I think I actually objected to Cash's banning, however -- I though the guy was reckless and abrasive, but he wasn't harming anyone as far as I know). I do think the RR perma-ban was a bit much, but as I already said...IT'S PURELY SPECULATIVE. Unlike Doofy, I haven't seen the PMs, nor do I want to.

What I'm trying to get to as I go around in circles: this forum is nearly dead anyways, and gradually canceling out spirited discussion is one way to speed up that process, even though I avoid most of it myself.

Another question: has besson ever been temp-banned for baiting?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:18 PM

Another question: has besson ever been temp-banned for baiting?

I've been temp banned twice, I think, but I don't think it was for baiting either time... If Railroader has put it in your head that I've been baiting him, I beg to differ. I don't bait people. I tease, but I don't bait. The difference, at least to me, is that my teasing has an element of absurdity and silliness to it (like going on about Doofy living in Buckingham Palace), whether baiting is strictly for picking a fight. I don't pick fights, I don't even like fights. I like to love and to make love.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 04:22 PM

Nah, RR didn't mention you -- that was put out there by ShortcutToMoncton and a few others, so I assumed you guys have had bad blood for a while. Also, I'm told most of this has gone on in the P/W Lounge.

I've never had anything against you personally. I just know you like poop topics.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I've been temp banned twice, I think, but I don't think it was for baiting either time... If Railroader has put it in your head that I've been baiting him, I beg to differ. I don't bait people. I tease, but I don't bait. The difference, at least to me, is that my teasing has an element of absurdity and silliness to it (like going on about Doofy living in Buckingham Palace), whether baiting is strictly for picking a fight. I don't pick fights, I don't even like fights. I like to love and to make love.
While I'm a big believer in intent counting for a lot, once you start interacting with people you give up control over interpretation.

Ultimately, whether you're teasing or baiting isn't determined by you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:25 PM

You can joke (tease, whatever) about everything, but not with everyone.

This forum is for everyone.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:30 PM

Nah, RR didn't mention you -- that was put out there by ShortcutToMoncton and a few others, so I assumed you guys have had bad blood for a while. Also, I'm told most of this has gone on in the P/W Lounge.
I honestly never fully understood his thing against me, he never made it clear except for his recent accusation of me being passive aggressive which I doubt has been the sole fuel to his multi-year thing he has had going for me, so if it was something in the P/W Lounge, *shrug*... I guess?

I've never had anything against you personally. I just know you like cheat topics.
Poop was an older fad of mine, but my reputation has evidently been built around it. Oh well, there are worser things than cheat to build a reputation around, I guess.

Maybe I should try for pee or vomit?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
While I'm a big believer in intent counting for a lot, once you start interacting with people you give up control over interpretation.

Ultimately, whether you're teasing or baiting isn't determined by you.

I've come to learn that and have been making adjustments. However, if somebody doesn't get my obsession with the idea of Doofy living in Buckingham Palace just as a for instance, the intent of many of my absurd posts and ramblings may go over their head. Still, I agree, it's best to not sort of get in somebody's face about something like this, even if you think there is no way that it could be construed as anything but ridiculousness.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:35 PM

How come Jawbone's grease was substituted for "cheat" while my grease was left to remain as grease?

Edit: never mind, it was probably the capital "P" in Poop. I guess I just need to learn how to figure out how to start sentences that way to thwart my ruthless and unrelenting unconstitutional censorship.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:46 PM

I've come to learn that and have been making adjustments. However, if somebody doesn't get my obsession with the idea of Doofy living in Buckingham Palace just as a for instance, the intent of many of my absurd posts and ramblings may go over their head. Still, I agree, it's best to not sort of get in somebody's face about something like this, even if you think there is no way that it could be construed as anything but ridiculousness.
The example which comes to mind is your religion poll. That tweaked RR pretty hard.

I have full confidence that wasn't your intent, but it's not surprising to me what was meant as light fun ended up being interpreted as a personal affront.

Now, I personally thought it was funny, but I have to be straight with you. I would never try and make a joke like that in front of strangers.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:47 PM

He messaged me the other day saying, "I was upset, but this whole 'threatening a mod' business didn't happen."
Yeah, this "threat" thing is just a red herring.

Let's call it what it was: he pissed of mod(s), and that's why ge got banned.
It didn't even have that much to do with his past forum posts.

I agree, it's their playground, they can do whatever they seem fit. But that doesn't make it right or fair.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2011, 04:53 PM

How come Jawbone's grease was substituted for "cheat" while my grease was left to remain as grease?
Thanks mods, this sentence is a gigantic mind****.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, this "threat" thing is just a red herring.

Let's call it what it was: he pissed of mod(s), and that's why ge got banned.
It didn't even have that much to do with his past forum posts.

I agree, it's their playground, they can do whatever they seem fit. But that doesn't make it right or fair.
:like:
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:10 PM

poop <--- testing.

Now, what's this about "grease"?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:18 PM

The example which comes to mind is your religion poll. That tweaked RR pretty hard.

I have full confidence that wasn't your intent, but it's not surprising to me what was meant as light fun ended up being interpreted as a personal affront.

Now, I personally thought it was funny, but I have to be straight with you. I would never try and make a joke like that in front of strangers.

I wouldn't make it to somebody's face in real life unless I was prepared for a heated confrontation, but in the MacNN PWL I think it's fair game. There are threads ridiculing, poking fun at, mocking, questioning, etc. all ideologies.

I realize that religion is a little dearer to one's heart than, say, trickle down economics, but I think it is not unreasonable to expect members to pick and choose what threads are for them and which aren't. One member's disdain for an anti or pro religion thread might be equal or lesser to another member's disdain for another topic like abortion or gay marriage or something. Likewise, one member's approval of a thread like we have seen a few of that say some pretty harsh things about Muslims might be offensive to another. In a place like the PWL, all ideologies are up for grabs, it is up to us to pick and choose which we allow ourselves to get offended over. I kind of wish the PWL wasn't as offensive as it can be, but I realize that trying to enforce offensiveness is kind of a slippery slope. I personally did not think that my thread was in the offensive category, but again, I appreciate that we are going to judge these things differently. Because somebody is offended doesn't warrant personal retaliation though, it warrants letting your opposition known, maybe even tossing in a name or two if you want to go that route, but being offended is a way of life in the PWL.

That being said, like you said, my intent was not to piss off religious people, but to take a playful look at a subject from the standpoint of somebody posing as being willfully ignorant towards it. If I really wanted to piss off religious people I would have been more direct.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:20 PM

I just don't understand why the mods bothered to establish a poop filter for Besson, rather than just telling him to knock it off or get booted.

Likewise, they could have established a swear word filter for RR, and be done with it.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
bribe <--- testing.

If I had a nickel for every time I came across this on the internet...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:25 PM

I just don't understand why the mods bothered to establish a weed filter for Besson, rather than just telling him to knock it off or get booted.

Maybe they figured I'd like a fun toy? They were correct.

Poop.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 30, 2011, 05:27 PM

Link?

Likewise, they could have established a swear word filter for RR, and be done with it.
...don't they already have a filter? I'm obviously missing something here.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Link?
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...5425/the-best/

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2011, 11:07 PM

Yeah, rr started the bitching in the thread. Thanks for giving us more reason as to why he got banned.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 01:36 AM

I feel that the staff around here is increasingly getting a thinner skin.
Duh. They ban anybody who has a personality. Which makes this place boring. Which makes people not come here. I've been saying this for years. Why has it taken you this long to realize this?

Let's look back and consider how much it took for Kevin or Rob to get to a point of permaban.
Actually, it didn't take me all that long, I just refused to adhere to it because the original ban was stupid and biased. So I ignored it. It takes less than 2 minutes to setup a new email account, and new account here. It's not a big deal, really. The only reason I don't come here much anymore is that the moderations have gotten rid of all the great personalities that used to frequent this place, and replaced them with silly goofy monty python humor (besson), or no humor/personality whatsoever.

Compared to them, Railroader was an (opinionated) saint.
I completely and totally disagree. I might be brash and blunt, but he was a verifiable asshole. The difference is, he knew how to be a complete dick while abiding by the rules. Since I was constantly being banned anyway, I didn't really need to worry about the rules much. But he did find some way to constantly skirt banninations, while still being a gigantic raging dick to people. Especially me. If anything, I'd say he has incited/baited/tried to piss me off more than anybody else on this forum, or in my entire internet experience. **** him. That said, I wouldn't ban him. People arguing about random shit on the internet is one of the best uses of the internet. It's entertaining and you can learn quite a bit while people go back and forth making their different viewpoints against each other.

Yes, RR got into fights, but often enough only after he was baited.
Bullshit.

Let's not be deceived: the increasingly harder and more controlling line has curiously enough happened at the same time that this board became less and less frequented. I know, nobody would admit that these two things are connected. But many around here have that gut feeling. I am one of them.

-t
ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!??!?!? How many times have I pointed this exact scenario out? If I had to hedge a guess I would say I have expressed this idea at LEAST 25x on this forum, because it is REAL AND TRUE AND HAPPENING. I've said it before, but this place is dead. Members with personalities worth remembering are not welcome here, and will be banned. Zimphire, Kilbey (HAAHAHHAHAHA remember when you guys banned me for calling me his previous SN that he used for upwards of 4 years?!), and SWG, etc, all banned for being memorable.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 01:39 AM

Think of it this way. If it were a few decades ago he might be burning you at the stake. Christians are ****ing dumb. RR was a religious zealot, so was Zimphire. Coincidence? No.

Take a map of america and superimpose poverty, lack of education, hate crimes, the popularity of nascar, and you'll find it also lines up with more churches per mile. Again, coincidence? No.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Really, we need to take this to the next level. Someone needs to go into a rage over the permaban that they in turn get a permaban.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Yeah, rr started the bitching in the thread. Thanks for giving us more reason as to why he got banned.
Meh. It was a troll.

It's de facto acceptable to troll religious people on this board. I'm not even religious and can see that.

DuhMacNN
Banned
Aug 31, 2011, 02:05 AM

Yeah but it's their thing to forgive.... so... should work out.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by DuhMacNN View Post
Duh. They ban anybody who has a personality. Which makes this place boring. Which makes people not come here. I've been saying this for years. Why has it taken you this long to realize this?
I cannot wrap my head around this idea that people come to MacNN because they are looking for "interesting personalities" butting heads with other interesting personalities. They come for Mac stuff, they may be entertained by the interesting personalities and want to stay because of them, but they are a sideshow attraction. This does not make people not come here, but it might make some people not *stay* here.

Actually, it didn't take me all that long, I just refused to adhere to it because the original ban was stupid and biased. So I ignored it. It takes less than 2 minutes to setup a new email account, and new account here. It's not a big deal, really. The only reason I don't come here much anymore is that the moderations have gotten rid of all the great personalities that used to frequent this place, and replaced them with silly goofy monty python humor (besson), or no humor/personality whatsoever.
I'm not your fill in replacement, I've been here all along...

Besides, I'm better than you anyway!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 02:37 AM

Rob, I think your signature might be a little too big. You might want to downsize it, or else you might get an infraction worth 1 or 2 points! If you're not careful, you might accumulate enough of these and find yourself banned...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 02:41 AM

How does "increasingly heavy-handed" go with a moron who's been continually banned and re-banned for over ten years?

If anything, Rob's presence (and class act) INvalidates the premise of this thread.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 31, 2011, 08:45 AM

Duh. They ban anybody who has a personality. Which makes this place boring. Which makes people not come here.
Too bad it doesn't work on you. For the past 10 years you've been saying how much this place blows. Like a dog returning to its vomit?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2011, 10:44 AM

(I think I actually objected to Cash's banning, however -- I though the guy was reckless and abrasive, but he wasn't harming anyone as far as I know).
Never mind.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 10:49 AM

It will be lovely when IPv6 is here, and companies like Google can ban users like Rob that create 239084209348 GMail accounts.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2011, 11:01 AM

Rob, I think your signature might be a little too big. You might want to downsize it, or else you might get an infraction worth 1 or 2 points! If you're not careful, you might accumulate enough of these and find yourself banned...
Ironically, I reported him for that, ignoring all the other issues inherent with his posts such as personal attacks/baiting/etc.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:53 AM

Besides, I'm better than you anyway!
Sorry Bro.

You are great for technical discussions, but for anything Lounge related, you are lame.

Rob is far more entertaining.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ironically, I reported him for that, ignoring all the other issues inherent with his posts such as personal attacks/baiting/etc.
You need to get a life. Reporting Rob for a small technical violation, knowing that he'd be banned in a microsecond anyways ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:57 AM

Zimphire, Kilbey (HAAHAHHAHAHA remember when you guys banned me for calling me his previous SN that he used for upwards of 4 years?!), and SWG, etc, all banned for being memorable.
Wait a second, SWG isn't perma-banned, is he ?

I thought he just left, like so many others.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry Bro.

You are great for technical discussions, but for anything Lounge related, you are lame.

Rob is far more entertaining.

-t

That is your opinion, and you are wrong. You are so lame that your mommy makes you wear diapers, so your opinion doesn't mean anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules