Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > There is an exclamation point beside a bunch of music in my iTunes library?

There is an exclamation point beside a bunch of music in my iTunes library?
smv1110
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2006, 11:37 AM

I had to copy my music to another drive to free up some space on the drive it was on. I just went into iTunes and tried to click on a song and it said the original file couldn't be found...Do you want to locate it? The songs in question have a little exclamation point in front of them. I hope copying them back to the original drive works. Anyone ever seen this?

ipodGuru
Baninated
Nov 9, 2006, 12:19 PM

If you use an iPod with a Click Wheel (including iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod with color display, iPod photo, and Fifth Generation iPod) on a Windows-compatible computer, click here before continuing. If you're not sure what iPod model you have, click here.

Connect the iPod to your computer. If an alert message appears suggesting that your iPod needs to be either repaired or reformatted, you can click OK or Update to launch the iPod Updater application which you can use to restore the iPod. If this alert message does not appear when connecting the iPod to your computer, continue with the suggestions below.
Charge

The battery may be low. Charge the battery by connecting iPod to your computer using the cable that came with iPod, or by connecting to an Apple iPod Power Adapter. Verify that the iPod is receiving a charge by looking for a lighting bolt icon or charging animation.

Reset

The iPod may have locked up. Reset iPod.
Restore

Some iPod models require a specific or later version of iPod software. The iPod may have been partitioned or reformatted using an incompatible format. Restore the iPod using the latest version of the iPod Updater application. Tip: If the iPod Updater doesn't recognize the iPod, try forcing the iPod into disk mode and then try the restore again.

Source: iPod displays a folder icon with an exclamation point
Zolved - Technical support for computers, laptops, MP3s, cell phones, PDAs, wireless networks, game consoles and digital cameras

richwig83
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 02:01 PM

Yes, this is because you've moved the file from the location that itunes is looking at. If you do as you say and put the file/folder back to its original place it should work again.

You should try and select the " Copy files to iTunes folder when adding music" option in advanced preferences!!! And the consolidate library function is also useful to ensure this doesn't happen

My itunes library is on an external drive, if i forget to turn it on and try playing a tune i get "!" next to the tunes too!!

Did u sort it out??

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2006, 02:19 PM

ipodGuru, that's some impressive copy-and-pasting there.

It's also COMPLETELY off-topic.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2006, 10:11 PM

I'm having the same problem, only I haven't moved my files anywhere. I just noticed the problem today (not having used iTunes for a while) and saw a topic at Apple support from someone who thinks the problem is related to the 7.02 update, which I performed several days ago.

I know this is not the same as the smv1110's problem, but similar. Funny thing is, while iTunes has "forgotten" where most of my music is, it still knows where all of the protected AACs purchased at iTunes are and it knows where songs imported from CDs in the past six months or so are. Anything older than that has the dreaded exclamation mark next to it. The files are still there, in the iTunes music folder; just not recognized by iTunes. I'd like some way to rebuild the library without losing all of my history (date added, play count, etc.) but it looks like I'm going to have to start over with a new library.

Any suggestions?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2006, 08:43 AM

iTunes has lost music on my computer, too, and I have never moved anything.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules