Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Too Hot ???

Macbook Too Hot ???
mattskee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 02:26 AM

MY STORY: I used MacTheRipper to test out copying a DVD on my macbook and boy did the CPU get hot!

Temperature of CPU during this task: Approx. 82 Celsius
Fan Speed: Approx. 6200 rpm

My macbook seems to be working fine still, but is this way too hot ??? Will the life of this computer be shortened? I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but i want to hear others more clearly on this issue.

I do not want to burn up my new computer or experience random shutdowns because of melted wires do to intense CPU usage. I want to know my limitations and if i should only surf the web and email on this thang.

What should i do?

A. do not use programs that make my macbook work hard?
B. don't even sweat it, these macbooks were made to run regularly at 80 or even 90 degrees celsius when performing CPU intensive tasks?
C. clean up the thermal paste issue that others mention (even though i don't know how)?
D. send it back and get a new macbook that does not overheat?
E. buy some dry ice?
F. buy an external hard drive and load os x on it and boot from external HD to reduce heat?
G. buy another lapcooler, even though they don't seem to cool much. (2-3 degrees maybe?)
H. find me a mini-superman who can periodically blow cool air onto my macbook inerds when it gets hot?
I. Regularly drink ice tea and hope that magically helps my macbook?
J. Only use my macbook for browsing the internet and checking my email?

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2007, 04:36 AM

Option B, maybe get a passive laptop cooler (Damn me for not being able to remember the name of the one I'm suggesting. It's basicly a pad, no fans or anything, and it's been proven, by reviewers, that it actually does still cool it a bit. Good if you use it on your lap.

That said... These little buggers get toasty... Currently, (on dual monitors now...) I'm:
Typing this in Safari
Mail is open and half the external
Toast is burning
iTunes is playing...

The CPU is at 65 C with fans at 2900 rpm. That said... When I'm extracting or compressing in toast, I'll see 6800 rpm fans at 85 or so C, so it isn't a big deal. Apparently, they just get toasty. I've never had an issue with it, and I've heard of others with the exact same situation, so it's no big deal...
Specs for the heck of it are a 2.00 ghz c2d, 2 GB ram, 10.4.10, all updates, 120 and 500 gb external, if it matters at all...

In short: Don't worry.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 04:51 AM

Option B.

The C2D CPU is spec'ed to operate over 100C. As long as the fan's running everything's fine. In the event that your MB would actually overheat (for example if the fan were broken) it would shut itself off anyway.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 11:55 AM

If it were running at 90ºC under average load (Safari, iTunes, Mail), then you would have reason to be concerned. But as long as it only gets that hot under duress, then you have nothing to worry about. Mine's been getting that hot and running smoothly for a year now, so there should be nothing to worry about.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

mattskee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 01:53 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the posts. That is encouraging to me.

It'll be interesting to see how long this little macbook lasts if i continue to do CPU intensive tasks occasionally (like ever other day for 20-30 minutes). Btw, i have the 2.16 CPU macbook w/ 2 GB RAM, 120 Gig HD etc. So far, i have been happy w/ it. So maybe i don't have to clean up the thermal paste after all (that has been rumored to help apparently).

Oh, my macbook is now running at 40-42 Celsius, with my smc fan control software minimum fan speed at 2500 rpm. My screen brightness is set to almost brightest setting and i have a vantec lapcool3 notebook cooler under my macbook. I am only running Firefox.
( Last edited by mattskee; Jul 14, 2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add something)

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattskee View Post
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the posts. That is encouraging to me.

It'll be interesting to see how long this little macbook lasts if i continue to do CPU intensive tasks occasionally (like ever other day for 20-30 minutes). Btw, i have the 2.16 CPU macbook w/ 2 GB RAM, 120 Gig HD etc. So far, i have been happy w/ it. So maybe i don't have to clean up the thermal paste after all (that has been rumored to help apparently).

Oh, my macbook is now running at 40-42 Celsius, with my smc fan control software minimum fan speed at 2500 rpm. My screen brightness is set to almost brightest setting and i have a vantec lapcool3 notebook cooler under my macbook. I am only running Firefox.
Wow, that's darnright chilly...

Building VTS Vob''s in mac the ripper (So, about 30-40% cpu load, with a .32 5 minute average load, I'm at about 60C.

My temp results might be slightly skewed from other users, because my MB sits on a glass desk, in an air conditioned room to about 19C...

That again, that doesn't stop it from hitting 85c...

On a semi relate note, I'm loving the unit converter in dashboard for this thread...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 05:17 PM

How useless would a computer be if you couldn't actually use it? Your MacBook will downclock or shut off as necessary to prevent damaging itself.

My Brand X laptop (1.86Ghz Pentium M) idles around 40C, but I routinely run it for days on end at 85C (100% CPU usage) with no ill effects.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The C2D CPU is spec'ed to operate over 100C.
Intel says 100C max.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 14, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattskee View Post
How big of a hit on battery life does the boosted minimum fan speed cause? I am perfectly content to let my MB C2D idle at around 60C/140F with the fans at 1800 RPM if it gives a significant boost to battery life.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 07:03 PM

The power consumption of a fan that size won't change by much more than a watt or two.
On the other hand, for a 20C drop the CPU power consumption may drop by a watt or two.
So I have a feeling the net power impact is very small... but the comfort impact (especially if it's in your lap) may be significant.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 09:43 PM

Don't sweat it... I just put a pillow under it on my lap if I'm going to use it for awhile.

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2007, 10:37 PM

Hey guys... like most of you, my MacBook runs very warm as well. Under any kind of load, it skyrockets to eighty or ninety some degrees celsius. It's a first-gen MacBook, a 2 Ghz Core Duo with 2 Gigs of ram. Now, this wouldn't be a problem due to SMC Fan Control... except when it gets to such a temperature, my fans barely even speed up on their own, and my MacBook instantly gets sluggish. Simple things like switching apps and Expose chugs to the point of screen clipping and... well, making it unusable. In a minute and a half I can usually fire up Fan Control and with the help of 6200 rpm bring the temp back down, but it shouldn't be bogging down like that. Anyone have any ideas?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Leclair View Post
Hey guys... like most of you, my MacBook runs very warm as well. Under any kind of load, it skyrockets to eighty or ninety some degrees celsius. It's a first-gen MacBook, a 2 Ghz Core Duo with 2 Gigs of ram. Now, this wouldn't be a problem due to SMC Fan Control... except when it gets to such a temperature, my fans barely even speed up on their own, and my MacBook instantly gets sluggish. Simple things like switching apps and Expose chugs to the point of screen clipping and... well, making it unusable. In a minute and a half I can usually fire up Fan Control and with the help of 6200 rpm bring the temp back down, but it shouldn't be bogging down like that. Anyone have any ideas?
Call AppleCare; it's defective.

It's getting sluggish because it's slowing down the CPU to protect itself.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 03:05 AM

Maximum junction temperature is specified at 100C. However the point where the CPU shuts off to prevent silicon die damage is at 125C; this is what Intel calls "Catastrophic Thermal Protection". So the CPU would actually continue to work above 100C. It will however suspend within 500 ms (VCC off) if it passes 125C. I'm guessing OS X reads out the DTS though and will sleep the MB before the CPU reaches 125C.

doctormario
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 02:57 PM

where can you find cpu temp and fan speed?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by doctormario View Post
where can you find cpu temp and fan speed?
Try this: smcFanControl

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jul 15, 2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The power consumption of a fan that size won't change by much more than a watt or two.
On the other hand, for a 20C drop the CPU power consumption may drop by a watt or two.
So I have a feeling the net power impact is very small... but the comfort impact (especially if it's in your lap) may be significant.
Hmmm...sounds like the makings of a good experiment. Run at different fan speeds and see the net effect on power consumption.

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 05:38 PM

Shoot... I was thinking so. If I bought it last August, would it cost me anything to have it fixed? Plus, I've heard bad things about AppleCare... very long drawn out procedures with mutliple repairs and awful service. Is this going to be a problem with an overheating processor? As well, I have a tiny fracture in the top casing between the indent (to open the MacBook) and the trackpad button. What would my options be for that?

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Shoot... I was thinking so. If I bought it last August, would it cost me anything to have it fixed? Plus, I've heard bad things about AppleCare... very long drawn out procedures with mutliple repairs and awful service. Is this going to be a problem with an overheating processor? As well, I have a tiny fracture in the top casing between the indent (to open the MacBook) and the trackpad button. What would my options be for that?

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 05:44 PM

Shoot... I was thinking so. If I bought it last August, would it cost me anything to have it fixed? Plus, I've heard bad things about AppleCare... very long drawn out procedures with mutliple repairs and awful service. Is this going to be a problem with an overheating processor? As well, I have a tiny fracture in the top casing between the indent (to open the MacBook) and the trackpad button. What would my options be for that? Could it hinder my repairs for the processor?

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2007, 05:44 PM

Shoot... I was thinking so. If I bought it last August, would it cost me anything to have it fixed? Plus, I've heard bad things about AppleCare... very long drawn out procedures with mutliple repairs and awful service. Is this going to be a problem with an overheating processor? As well, I have a tiny fracture in the top casing between the indent (to open the MacBook) and the trackpad button. What would my options be for that? Could it hinder my repairs for the processor?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 01:29 AM

Twitchy finger Kyle?

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 01:42 AM

Ya, sorry.... Safari kinda froze and I clicked one too many times and all hell broke loose :| I Apolgosie. I'd still like an answer though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 02:57 AM

Shoot... I was thinking so. If I bought it last August, would it cost me anything to have it fixed?
So you're still under warranty now. Get it fixed before warranty runs out and you'll be fine.

Plus, I've heard bad things about AppleCare... very long drawn out procedures with mutliple repairs and awful service. Is this going to be a problem with an overheating processor?
Some people have had awful AC experiences. Others are thrilled. Personally, I've had rotten but also great service. It depends on a lot of things not to mention plain good/bad luck. Have it fixed. From what you're reporting it can't get much worse anyway.

As well, I have a tiny fracture in the top casing between the indent (to open the MacBook) and the trackpad button. What would my options be for that? Could it hinder my repairs for the processor?
That's a known issue. Let them know and they'll fix it too.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2007, 03:12 AM

BTW Kyle, try running Apple Hardware Test (boot from the install DVD while pressing d). Write down the error codes you get so you can give 'em right to the repair folks. In your case I'd expect at least one error code due to a fan assembly defect. That would be something like 4MOT/1/40000002:Center

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2007, 10:12 PM

Wow guys I can't thank you enough.... I'm really not thrilled about getting my macbook taken away for an extended period of time though =[ Uh, if its just overheating, how will that Apple Hardware Manager on the DVD detect anything?
( Last edited by Kyle Leclair; Jul 16, 2007 at 10:38 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 03:32 AM

Uh, if its just overheating, how will that Apple Hardware Manager on the DVD detect anything?
If it's overheating because of a fan, sensor, or LB defect AHT will detect it. In my experience AC repair is faster and involves less hassle if you supply them with error codes. Of course you can also just send it off and let them figure it out by themselves.

Kyle Leclair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If it's overheating because of a fan, sensor, or LB defect AHT will detect it. In my experience AC repair is faster and involves less hassle if you supply them with error codes. Of course you can also just send it off and let them figure it out by themselves.

Okay well I just ran the AHT... it says everything is fine, it found no problems. Should I still call Apple and tell them my problems? Wow, that sounds alot like a therapist Anyways... what do you guys think?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 03:45 PM

Okay well I just ran the AHT... it says everything is fine, it found no problems. Should I still call Apple and tell them my problems? Wow, that sounds alot like a therapist Anyways... what do you guys think?
From what you describe something is most definitely wrong.

Since you can get the crack fixed under warranty for free you might as well have them take a look at the heat while they're at it. IOW get it fixed (before warranty runs out).

Forum Links
Forum Rules