Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple iPhone 3G - Is it really that good?

Apple iPhone 3G - Is it really that good?
iphonepimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2008, 10:21 PM

I own the current 8gb iPhone version 1.4.4, and honestly, it is not fair that I had to pay 2 times more than the new 8gb iphone. My question is, will the software update for my current iPhone to version 2.0 be worth holding on to it, or should I just sell it on ebay right now??
http://appleiphone2.info - Watch the new iPhone 3G in action!

macrocks
Jun 16, 2008, 10:42 PM

hey i was just on ebay and most first gen iphones are selling for 400 to 500 dollars so yea sell it on ebay and get you the iphone 3g

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 10:44 PM

I see them being sold for $250 + shipping. That's going to cover the cost of a new phone, but I'm going to wait until I have mine in hand before selling my old one.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2008, 11:47 PM

I don't get why the firsrt gen iPhones are going for so much--- I wasn't thinking about selling mine, I was just going to be happy with the 2.0 upgrade...

BUT, if I can get someone to pretty much pay me to upgrade my phone, I don't see why not... I just don't want to risk the iPhone being sold for less than $250ish... Not sure if I should put it on ebay or not... What's everyone else doing with their first gens?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by iphonepimp View Post
I own the current 8gb iPhone version 1.4.4, and honestly, it is not fair that I had to pay 2 times more than the new 8gb iphone. My question is, will the software update for my current iPhone to version 2.0 be worth holding on to it, or should I just sell it on ebay right now??
If you're in the US, your iPhone was CHEAPER than the new one.

24 months of $10 MORE for the data plan works out to $240 - meaning that the iPhone 3G is gonna cost AT&T users $440 by current plans.

In Euro-land, things look quite different, but T-Mobile's plans were a bastard rip-off until just recently.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I don't get why the firsrt gen iPhones are going for so much
They're unlockable and came without a contract.

The new ones won't (at least Stateside)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
In Euro-land, things look quite different, but T-Mobile's plans were a bastard rip-off until just recently.
They no longer are?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2008, 04:12 AM

Well, the fact is, ALL mobile phone plans in Germany are a rip-off (except for BASE, but they make up for it with zero service and zero in-house infrastructure, and thus no real accountability).

Considering the price of the phone, I think they're "fairly" okay now:
iPhone | iPhone Tarife bei T-Mobile

Turns out I can get the 16GB iPhone 3G and run it *cheaper* than I do my current SE k800i on O2 if I get the XL deal.

And they'll now allow you to port your number.

Of course, my current contract doesn't expire until early next year, so early termination fees may skew the deal...

iphonepimp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2008, 03:40 PM

I agree with alligator, I am going to hold on to it until the new one comes out. I understand that the price will lower to a point where I might have to throw in extra money but its worth it because I cant live without my iphone right now.
http://appleiphone2.info - Watch the new iPhone 3G in action!

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by iphonepimp View Post
I agree with alligator, I am going to hold on to it until the new one comes out. I understand that the price will lower to a point where I might have to throw in extra money but its worth it because I cant live without my iphone right now.
Ditto...and, what if it's a battery hog and I want my original iPhone back?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 05:37 PM

I'm going to upgrade but I'm keeping my 1st generation iPhone as a backup after upgrading it to 2.0.

Forum Links
Forum Rules