Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Magic Mouse and battery drain

Magic Mouse and battery drain
KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2010, 09:11 PM

I need to replace my wireless Magic mouse because of the repeated scrolling issues that seem to plague that mouse. Was going to replace it with the wireless Magic mouse but have read many complaints claiming it causes extreme battery drain in everyones wireless bluetooth keyboard. This issue has me considering other wireless mouse options. Has anyone else noticed extreme battery drain in Apples wireless bluetooth keyboard since moving to the Magic mouse?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2010, 09:15 PM

I'm curious about these issues, as I can't picture a second BT device having anything to do with how the first uses its battery power.

I really like my Magic Mouse; I've had it for about 5 months now and I've changed the batteries once. It just keeps on going for me. No "scrolling issues" noted here, either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm curious about these issues, as I can't picture a second BT device having anything to do with how the first uses its battery power.

I really like my Magic Mouse; I've had it for about 5 months now and I've changed the batteries once. It just keeps on going for me. No "scrolling issues" noted here, either.
It puzzles me that so many have reported(at least they have on another site)that the Magic mouse is greatly affecting the battery life in their Apple wireless keyboard. Some have reported having to change the batteries in their keyboard every week. I even read reports Apple is aware of the issue. By the way what keyboard are you using with your Magic mouse?

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2010, 10:47 PM

Links?

I'm with ghporter. How does the use of one BT device affect the battery drain in another BT device?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2010, 02:16 AM

I don't know how the wireless mouse affects the wireless keyboard. My first generation wireless mouse went through batteries every 6 to 7 days and my wireless keyboard would last about 40 to 60 days. After getting rid of the mouse my keyboard now lasts 3 to 4 months easily. I got rid of the mouse due to excessive battery use and switched to Logitech v470 which lasts just over a month on batteries and my wireless keyboard lasts easily 50% longer.

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Links?

I'm with ghporter. How does the use of one BT device affect the battery drain in another BT device?

Steve
I read about the issues on the Apple site.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Apple Wireless Keyboard Eating Batteries ...

KenJJ  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2010, 02:35 AM

I just read on another forum that the issue was corrected in a firmware update a month ago. All the issues people were having were back in Jan. Glad it's been resolved because I tested the Magic mouse the other day at BestBuy and liked it.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 12:39 AM

FWIW, I got the Magic Mouse in late January and the initial set of batteries is still going (at 18%). I have the wired keyboard with the numeric keyboard, though, so can't speak to the impact on the wireless keyboard.

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2010, 04:40 AM

I got a Magic Mouse in the beginning of January and I've used it 5 days a week for 9-12 hours. It's still at 67 % charge even though I stopped switching it off after a week.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2010, 11:02 AM

I just got a magic mouse a few weeks ago and it's eating batteries like crazy. I've got the wireless keyboard as well and have installed the keyboard update.

Yesterday the mouse batteries were at 50%, today it's 18%. I'm very discouraged.

-Q-
Mar 15, 2010, 01:04 PM

How odd that you're still seeing the battery issue. I've not had a problem with the mouse (only changed the batteries once), but did see the keyboard drain that had been reported. The recent firmware update did fix that so I've seen barely a drop in percentage charge remaining in the keyboard batteries.

Do you turn you machine off or just let it sleep? Mine gets shut down every night so that may explain the great battery life I've been experiencing...

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2010, 11:28 PM

I don't turn my computer or mouse off at night. I replaced the mouse batteries on Friday and now 3 days later they are at 85%. There must be something wrong with the mouse.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 16, 2010, 07:09 AM

I'd agree that there's something wrong with your mouse-I sleep my iMac overnight and my Magic Mouse batteries are at 50% after a couple months' use.

jretzner
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2010, 11:42 PM

I've had my Magic Mouse since October 2009, leaving the mouse on all the time. Tonight, a "low power" *That's 23%) alert popped up on my iMac's screen for the first time. That's five months. How long are the batteries supposed to last?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 28, 2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by jretzner View Post
I've had my Magic Mouse since October 2009, leaving the mouse on all the time. Tonight, a "low power" *That's 23%) alert popped up on my iMac's screen for the first time. That's five months. How long are the batteries supposed to last?
Apple says "up to four months." You're doing well.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2010, 03:52 PM

It's been less than 3 weeks and my batteries are down to 44%. (They're Energizer Alkaline.)

Next time I'm in the States I'll try going to an Apple Store. What do you think my chances are that they'll give me a new one?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 04:05 PM

Four weeks, at 55%.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2010, 11:38 AM

Anyone else have this problem? My wireless Magic Mouse (came with iMac i5) has gone through two AA Panasonic carbon zinc batteries about every 3 weeks. It's pretty insane. Has there been an update or anything by any chance...??

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2010, 12:58 PM

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I have to replace mine every 4-6 weeks.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 23, 2010, 02:24 PM

I found that my iMac was not properly sleeping-once I made sure it actually did sleep when I thought it was asleep, I have managed to get about 3 months out of a pair of batteries. I was reminded of this recently when the iMac again stopped automatically sleeping, because I only got about 4 weeks out of the batteries.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2010, 06:08 PM

From the mouse?

I'm scratching my head as to why people are experiencing such crazy batteries ranges out of the same piece of hardware...?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2010, 07:44 PM

It wasn't the mouse keeping the iMac awake, but when the computer is awake, it keeps the mouse awake. The mouse is rated for its long battery life based on some formula Apple came up with relating to how long it would be awake versus asleep, so if it's awake a lot more, it will use the batteries faster.

rubberwheels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2010, 02:48 PM

I had my magic mouse for about a year now. I used it often and the original energizer batters are still running in it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2010, 08:34 PM

I have to say that I find it hard to believe that anyone is getting significantly more than Apple's stated "up to 4 months" life out of a set of batteries in a Magic Mouse. I get consistently about 3 months-as long as my iMac goes to sleep when I tell it to. And i use the computer for only a few hours a day at most.

Forum Links
Forum Rules