Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My (Cheap) New Watch

My (Cheap) New Watch
calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 05:39 PM

Ok so I have been a Tissot and Tag Heuer fanboy, but with the strap breaking on my last watch, I needed something new.

A co-worker sold me this for $50 (brand new, in the box) and I must say, if you need a cheap gift for someone this holiday season, this might be a good gift idea.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 06:11 PM

Wow, I really like that.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2011, 06:32 PM

No date in there? How comfortable is the wristband?

Nice, clean design. Good buy.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 06:46 PM

The wristband is only annoying when typing-as I have found with each watch I have worn. Other than that it has a good fit for my size wrist and I don't notice it.

No date in there, which is annoying. It is a stopgap till x-mas until I buy this and be happy for the rest of my life. Then I'll use the Nixon for surfing or wakeboarding.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 07:57 PM

Are you sure your fiend is not a crook?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 08:01 PM

I am not a crook.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 08:26 PM

People still wear watches?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 7, 2011, 08:29 PM

Yes, people still wear watches, and the one Calverson's picots illustrate is quite attractive. I like its simplicity and its austere design. I'll have to look into it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 09:35 PM

That watch looks pretty BA

beb
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 10:37 PM

But is the watch from Whittier? Did its father own the poorest limon ranch in all of California, did he sell it before they found oil on it? Don't get me started. I'd Pick Richard Nixon any day over the current contender lineup.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 11:04 PM

Err... Nope. It was founded by a bunch of surfers, it appears.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Are you sure your fiend is not a crook?
My fiend be no crook... $60 on Amazon you pay.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Oct 8, 2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
People still wear watches?
My thoughts exactly.

If you need to know the time, look at your iPhone. I mean, it's there.

Wearing a watch today is kind of like carrying around a booklet of phone numbers. No matter how stylish, it's still redundant.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 01:27 PM

I love all Nixon watches. I'm wanting this one right now:

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 01:49 PM

You're...straight, right?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Emperor of Ice Cream View Post
My thoughts exactly.

No, it's not.

It's in my pocket.

I finally got my ca. 1980 Citizen automatic fixed up a while ago and really appreciate wearing a watch again.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 04:38 PM

Wearing a watch today is kind of like carrying around a booklet of phone numbers. No matter how stylish, it's still redundant.
I don't take my iPhone into the shower with me, my iPhone doesn't go surfing or wakeboarding with me. And in the morning when you are having a quick shag before going to work, stopping to look at your iPhone is just inappropriate.

And I can imagine for skinny-jean wearing hipsters that getting an iPhone out of your pocket can be annoying at times.

Plus the amount of times I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check the time, and put it back in my pocket only to realize I didn't in fact look at the time... (come on, we have all done it)

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I finally got my ca. 1980 Citizen automatic fixed up a while ago and really appreciate wearing a watch again.
Pics? A 31 year old watch is pretty sick. My next watch will definitely be an automatic.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 04:46 PM

That watch doesn't tell time very well, I wouldn't buy it. It was 5:39 when you posted your thread, not 11:00 nor 11:12.

I hate to say it, but you got ripped off Calverson.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 04:58 PM

I am completely unable to find details on this particular watch. It's a Citizen 4-063252 SMT

I got it from my parents in 1980 when we were living in Hong Kong, so it has the Chinese weekdays (just the Kanji from 一 to 七).

This one from 1990 is the closest I've been able to find on the web, but the armband attachment is different (mine connect to the body from underneath), and the "7" icon is a crown on mine. But, the same lovely metallic blue face:

Depending upon the light, it ranges from deep blue to almost black.

I love it to bits.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
You're...straight, right?
Ha...married with one in the oven.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 07:26 PM

I've fallen in love.

Anyone have any experience with these watches? Never heard of them before, but this design is f*cking amazing. I think I like it more than that other Tissot I was going to get myself for xmas.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 07:33 PM

I am completely unable to find details on this particular watch. It's a Citizen 4-063252 SMT

Depending upon the light, it ranges from deep blue to almost black.
I never have been a fan of Citizen, but that looks pretty

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 07:35 PM

This is what they're modeled after:

I prefer the German second-hand, though:

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Oct 8, 2011, 07:36 PM

No, it's not.

It's in my pocket.
Personally, I don't think the effort of taking a phone out of one's pocket and glancing at it is significantly greater than lifting one's wrist up.

Unless, like the above poster, you go wake boarding on your lunch break. Then it's justifiable.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 07:41 PM

Imagine, for a second, that you're at a job which actually requires you switch your cellphone off.

Hey, or you're a speaker somewhere, or otherwise presenting something. Pulling out your phone in front of an audience to check the time is totally awesome.

And honestly, if glancing at your wrist doesn't seem like considerably less effort than pulling a phone out of your pocket and pressing a button, there's obviously something going on that I'm not going to speculate about.

Also, you obviously don't ride a bike.

Also, as mentioned above, I just happen to really *like* my watch.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 07:43 PM

Personally, I don't think the effort of taking a phone out of one's pocket and glancing at it is significantly greater than lifting one's wrist up.
Don't forget the battery life wastage from the constant pressing of the lock button.

Unless, like the above poster, you go wake boarding on your lunch break. Then it's justifiable.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2011, 07:45 PM

And honestly, if glancing at your wrist doesn't seem like considerably less effort than pulling a phone out of your pocket and pressing a button, there's obviously something going on that I'm not going to speculate about.
QFT and hilarity

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ha...married with one in the oven.
Speaking of which, the best way to ensure that bun does not come out heterosexual would be to gently press that watch against your wife's stomach every night....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 08:12 PM

Okay okay speaking of watches, here's mine. Not much of a watch guy - I'd rather pull my cell out of my pants pocket, again and again and again - but I like it and it wasn't too pricey or obviously flashy.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Oct 8, 2011, 08:30 PM

Imagine, for a second, that you're at a job which actually requires you switch your cellphone off.

Hey, or you're a speaker somewhere, or otherwise presenting something. Pulling out your phone in front of an audience to check the time is totally awesome.

Also, you obviously don't ride a bike.

Also, as mentioned above, I just happen to really *like* my watch.
I also like watches, including yours. I like their weight and precision. I'm just thinking out loud about how they seem to have become redundant due to the fact that, for most of the day, I have a phone on my person.

I also find them a little uncomfortable.

If required, I put my phone on silent mode. Just out of curiosity, besides being on a plane, when is it necessary to actually turn it off?

I agree that it would look pretty shabby to check your phone during a presentation. I had to give one last year at a job interview and put my phone on the lectern. There was also a wall clock in front of me. But I agree, that's an occasion I might wear a watch. (For me, not enough to justify wearing one all the time though.)

Your implication that I suffer from some unspeakable abnormality because I find it easier to use my phone to tell the time than wear a wrist watch came as a surprise.

I do ride a bike on the weekend. I ride to get away from it all and leave my phone behind. If for some reason I needed to know the time while cycling (perhaps I am doing laps, or need to be home by a certain time) I would wear a watch—absolutely. But the rest of the time, due to an unspeakable abnormality, I am obliged to try and eke my miserable way through life without a timepiece strapped to my wrist.

To me an iPhone is like a pocket watch without a chain that does a million other things.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 08:45 PM

Your implication that I suffer from some unspeakable abnormality because I find it easier to use my phone to tell the time than wear a wrist watch came as a surprise.

Honestly, I thought wristwatches were a hopeless anachronism until I started wearing mine again. I rediscovered it in a box somewhere — it had broken some ten years ago — and carried it around in my bag for a year or so until I finally chanced upon a watchmaker who seemed to know what he was doing (tricky repair; earlier attempts had failed twice).

I started wearing it as an accessory, and because, well, it's my watch: I've had it for over thirty years. This was my second watch, right after the Donald Duck one.

Turns out it's actually really practical.

I'd forgotten.

Also, no watch thread is complete without this video:

Up his ass - YouTube

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 10:05 PM

I started wearing a watch daily when I was working as an EMT and needed the second hand to count patients' heart rates. Should I have set a 15 second timer on my iphone (not that they existed at the time)? Actually, when my watch battery died I did use the backlight timer on my nokia to count 15 seconds since that is how long is was.

I wear a citizen watch with a chronograph and I'm happy with it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 8, 2011, 11:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, besides being on a plane, when is it necessary to actually turn it off?
Security-related jobs sometimes require it. Like classified work, or design work for Apple, or any work in a court room.

Some people obviously like watches, though I've long depended on my cell phone. What I don't understand is why dial-face watches are preferred. Whenever an old-timer gives the time as "twenty till four" I have to mentally convert it to real time - 3:40.

If I started wearing a watch again, I'd want a digital readout.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2011, 12:01 AM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Whenever an old-timer gives the time as "twenty till four" I have to mentally convert it to real time - 3:40.
Wow really? I pretty much instantly can think with both. As well as 24 hour time, which is 50x better IMO.

Analog watches just look more badass. There are very few awesome digital ones.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 9, 2011, 12:53 AM

24 hour time.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Oct 9, 2011, 01:10 AM

Honestly, I thought wristwatches were a hopeless anachronism until I started wearing mine again. I rediscovered it in a box somewhere — it had broken some ten years ago — and carried it around in my bag for a year or so until I finally chanced upon a watchmaker who seemed to know what he was doing (tricky repair; earlier attempts had failed twice).

I started wearing it as an accessory, and because, well, it's my watch: I've had it for over thirty years. This was my second watch, right after the Donald Duck one.

Turns out it's actually really practical.

I'd forgotten.
I totally get it.

And their value as a stylish accessory is not in dispute. My reluctance to wear one may in fact have less to do with their mooted superfluity than the fact that I just find them uncomfortable.

If the strap's tight, after a while the skin underneath it begins to feel sticky and unclean which I find intolerable. If it's loose, the watch slides up and down my wrist all day which is equally intolerable.

I am also incapable of wearing necklaces, which I find ticklish.

Hell, it took me years to develop a tolerance to my wedding ring.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2011, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Speaking of which, the best way to ensure that bun does not come out heterosexual would be to gently press that watch against your wife's stomach every night....

Any of these do it for you?

Yes, indeed.

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Oct 9, 2011, 02:33 AM

This I get.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Any of these do it for you?

The first one is clearly for women or extreme metrosexuals/homosexuals only; the last two aren't bad, I guess, although I wouldn't personally choose them or anything (last one is best IMO). For example, I easily like mine better than any of those from a style perspective.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 9, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Whenever an old-timer gives the time as "twenty till four" I have to mentally convert it to real time - 3:40.
Wow really? I pretty much instantly can think with both. As well as 24 hour time, which is 50x better IMO.

Analog watches just look more badass. There are very few awesome digital ones.
I think most of us translate back and forth between relative and integral time references, whether we realize it or not; US television programming, for example, is based on hour and half hour programming with one minute and half minute (and increasingly used quarter minute) advertising. But integral time references are often important enough that we attend more to the precisely specified "3:40 PM" than to "20 minutes before 4 PM." Whether this is a case of providing a value with way too many places of precision but questionable accuracy is fodder for another discussion (I'm an "accurate time" advocate/loony), but at least we imply more accuracy when we give a specific time than when we say something like "20 minutes 'till the hour."

When I taught electronics to 17-20 year olds, I spent considerable time educating many of them about "how to read a clock face." Not because I felt the tradition needed help continuing, but because absolute dependence on digital displays was for these young people a symptom of poor education and laziness of thought. It also helped in educating them on the use of analog, pointer-based indicators for their work in testing and repairing equipment, but in many ways that was just the vehicle I used for a broader purpose. By using the "read the clock" exercise, I was also able to teach concepts that include the non-integral nature of just about everything, especially time. Getting across the idea that seconds are broken down (arbitrarily) into ever tinier fractions was important to get them to see far more complex issues related to their work.

24 hour time is necessary in so many different contexts that I've worked in, starting with the military, that it isn't "second nature" for me, it is the primary way I think of time. I do have to pause a bit now and then when thinking in "world time," but since I am pretty good at time zones, I just have to "see" Zulu/Grenwich time and it all falls into place.

With all that said, I wear analog watches because I need near instant access to time and duration, and analog watch faces are well suited to fairly close reading with very brief glances. I have seen really nice analog watches that include a digital time display, but I find them harder to read because the extra displays are distracting to me. I wear a Victorinox Infantry watch, with a simple time and date display like this, except the case on mine is black:

My regular dress watch is now this Citizen World Perpetual A-T with radio synchronization for very high accuracy:

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2011, 12:23 PM

This is my everyday watch here. I love it.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2011, 09:31 PM

Nice Tissot. Are you a fan of Tissots or you just happen to like that specific model?

I have this one but with a black leather strap. I bought it almost 10 years ago and I haven't used it that much. I happen to collect wristwatches and end up using the cheaper ones. I like Swiss quartz (dials), mechanical automatics and Japanese digital watches. Though I also have an automatic (Bulova) which happens to have a Japanese movement. My fave ones are a Speedmaster and Seamaster (Omega).. both automatics and have been restored due to some stupid things I did to them when I was younger.

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T171486.../dp/B000FBVN6E

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2011, 09:35 PM

Oh and a wristwatch for me is a necessity. I look at the time all day long and make mental notes on certain happenings (job related).

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 01:42 AM

You're a timer for a car race?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
You're a timer for a car race?
No! ... modern car races use timing and scoring equipment (sensors) that time each lap (I used to work on CART venues).

I work in logistics/operations and one of my daily duties is to push transports/industrial cranes out of the base to arrive on time with the client. I know how long they take to arrive at a certain destination so I have to keep looking at the time and hurrying people around.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 03:32 PM

I was kinda kidding. Thinking of something funny to say, failed, and instead wrote the first thing that popped in my mind.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 05:49 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2011, 10:56 PM

I loved the idea of the nano watch! I didn't enough attention before. The lunatik wristband looks interesting.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2011, 11:00 PM

That´s ok Calverson .. in all due honesty I did laughed a bit haha!
regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules