Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 141)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
There's one giant flaw in your reasoning. Even if most of the 360 users here pick up a PS3, we'll still buy the xbox versions of any multiplatform titles, leaving you with the same PSN friends list you have now.
I'm convinced several of you guys will eventually be won over.

See you on Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

[EDIT] How did you post from the future?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 01:38 AM

What? That makes no sense. I'm going to get a PS3 when the Slim comes out, but I'm keeping my Xbox. The only cross-platform title I'm likely to get on the PS3 is Final Fantasy XIII, which I don't think I'll be playing a lot of multiplayer on. It's pretty well-known that cross-platform titles are almost always better on the Xbox.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm convinced several of you guys will eventually be won over.
The longer you post in here, the more insane you sound. What reasoning could you possibly have for that opinion?

See you on Uncharted 2 multiplayer.
Not in any time frame you'll be playing it in (If ever).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 10:48 AM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 10:52 AM

$250 for a Pro system at target, Jawbone.

What are you waiting for?
With a free second controller, no less.

Although with the Elite going to $299 also with a second controller at Target, I think I'd spend the extra $50.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
With a free second controller, no less.

Although with the Elite going to $299 also with a second controller at Target, I think I'd spend the extra $50.
Good idea. Especially since the HDs are so god damn overpriced. Doesn't the elite come with a wireless headset as well?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 11:59 AM

No way.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2009, 12:02 PM

Oh, nevermind then. So what's the difference between the elite and the pro? Just the color of the system and the size of the HD?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 12:09 PM

Bingo. (In the old days I think it was an HDMI port as well)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 12:19 PM

Having played WaW on both the 360 and PS3 extensively, I can say that I far prefer using the 360 controller for extended periods of time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 12:21 PM

Yeah, I can only imagine.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 12:43 PM

Slims are in stores now.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 12:43 PM

Speaking of controller comfort, I recently picked up two sets of these things:
FPS Freek by KontrolFreek - Professional Gaming Gear for Xbox 360 & PS3 Shooter Games

They help *immensely* with accuracy. I still much prefer my keyboard and mouse for FPS games, but this makes them tolerable to me on the console now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 12:45 PM

Interesting. I wonder how comfortable the added height would be.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2009, 12:53 PM

I just use steroids.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 12:54 PM

Interesting. I wonder how comfortable the added height would be.
Took maybe 15-20 mins of playing to get used to it. Now normal controllers feel weird to me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 12:55 PM

I'm already nasty enough at console FPSes, maybe you computer gaming folks might not be at home with the sticks, but they're as natural as breathing to me now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 01:03 PM

For the record, sek was born with gills.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm already nasty enough at console FPSes, maybe you computer gaming folks might not be at home with the sticks, but they're as natural as breathing to me now.
Same here. I've been playing consoles since 1986, pretty heavily for most of that time. Working a normal gamepad is second nature. (Working the Wii, on the other hand…)
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My problem is the sensitivity. With a mouse, you can quickly turn around no matter what your sensitivity level is at with a quick flick of the wrist. With the sticks, you're very limited. You either turn around quickly and have very twitchy smaller movements, or smooth smaller movements but turn around so slow you can time it with a calendar.

These help a lot, since you can turn the sensitivity way up but still get precise movements.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 03:51 PM

The longer you post in here, the more insane you sound.
I'm a sensible guy in almost every way except one: video game systems.

What reasoning could you possibly have for that opinion?
None whatsoever.

$250 for a Pro system at target, Jawbone.

What are you waiting for?
I've gone over that already. I'm going to see how many people are either swayed to finally pick up a PS3 or encouraged to buy both. I'm tired of changing consoles. I'd rather put the money back for London.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 03:57 PM

I've gone over that already. I'm going to see how many people are either swayed to finally pick up a PS3 or encouraged to buy both. I'm tired of changing consoles. I'd rather put the money back for London.
Changing? The idea was to make it an addition to your line-up.

Anyway, by the time this sorts itself out, you'll have missed out on a ton of great gaming (See: Halo 3/OSDT, MW2, perhaps BioShock 2). If you think spending $300 to game with us occasionally (and some of your friends too?) is a hefty price tag you can't bear, I totally understand, because its a definite luxury purchase. Aside from that, the rest of your thinking really doesn't stand up to scrutiny, IMO.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 04:04 PM

Changing? The idea was to make it an addition to your line-up.
If I picked one up, the only reasons I'd eventually be using the PS3 are exclusives and Blu-ray. All of the other games would likely still be played online on the 360 by the people I know, therefore why not pick them up on 360?

I feel like I'm talking some of you out of PS3s now...

Anyway, by the time this sorts itself out, you'll have missed out on a ton of great gaming (See: Halo 3/OSDT, MW2, perhaps BioShock 2). If you think spending $300 to game with us occasionally (and some of your friends too?) is a hefty price tag you can't bear, I totally understand, because its a definite luxury purchase.
That's the only thing drawing me at all. OSDT and Forza 3 are particularly appealing.

Aside from that, the rest of your thinking really doesn't stand up to scrutiny, IMO.
*sigh*

I know.

Shut up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:10 PM

If I picked one up, the only reasons I'd eventually be using the PS3 are exclusives and Blu-ray. All of the other games would likely still be played online on the 360 by the people I know, therefore why not pick them up on 360?
Would that be so wrong?

No you're not. All the regulars here already know this. Some of them already have PS3s, too.

That's the only thing drawing me at all. OSDT and Forza 3 are particularly appealing.
Yeah, it's tough. I couldn't justify a system to myself based on two games, particularly ones that aren't out yet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 04:14 PM

Would that be so wrong?
After wasting so much money in the past, I've finally become somewhat frugal and try to think out these decisions. I think I'm now over-thinking, as I tend to do.

Yeah, it's tough. I couldn't justify a system to myself based on two games, particularly ones that aren't out yet.
That's not to say those are the only two games I'd find appealing; they're just standouts.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 04:18 PM

There are other games that would be better on the PS3. Final Fantasy will be one disc, whereas on 360 they're *trying* to fit it onto 3. And the recently released Batman has some PS3 exclusive content (and since it's single player it doesn't matter which system you buy it for).

Just sayin...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:20 PM

After wasting so much money in the past, I've finally become somewhat frugal.
I understand.

Maybe you should talk one of your friends into buying a PS3, and selling his 360 to you on the cheap? That'd be devious.
Or Laminar chimes in he'll buy one if you buy one.
Or maybe the Gaming Forum takes up a collection to get you a XBOX LIve Gold membership to guilt you into buying one (and making it look cheaper).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
There are other games that would be better on the PS3. Final Fantasy will be one disc, whereas on 360 they're *trying* to fit it onto 3. And the recently released Batman has some PS3 exclusive content (and since it's single player it doesn't matter which system you buy it for).

Just sayin...
I don't keep up too much on the PS3, but my read has been that FF will be the first hands-down, no contest multiplatform game that would be a PS3 buy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 04:24 PM

True. However, every Call of Duty, Valve-produced, or sports game would probably be best enjoyed/shared on 360 (mostly with multiplayer in mind).

Don't get me wrong, I still love my PS3 exclusives. I've even come across quite a ton of good matches on CoD4, but the sucky thing is that they're all with complete strangers. Meanwhile, my friends are meeting up late on Friday nights for Halo/CoD4/WaW marathons on 360.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:25 PM

To be fair, I haven't played with more than 4 of us at any one given time since January (Gears Horde). Other than Burnout on a handful of nights this year has been lacking in the NN meet-up department. (Obviously that'll change with MW, but just bein' honest)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 04:27 PM

Maybe you should talk one of your friends into buying a PS3, and selling his 360 to you on the cheap? That'd be devious.
I'm not selling my soul for a 360.

Or Laminar chimes in he'll buy one if you buy one.
Actually...I think I would sell Laminar's soul for one...

Or maybe the Gaming Forum takes up a collection to get you a XBOX LIve Gold membership to guilt you into buying one (and making it look cheaper).
That would be the most pathetic Internet activity ever.

I don't keep up too much on the PS3, but my read has been that FF will be the first hands-down, no contest multiplatform game that would be a PS3 buy.
The single disc pretty much solidifies that one. As jokell pointed out, Arkham Asylum is definitely in that camp as well, considering the Joker exclusivity deal.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:31 PM

I'm not selling my soul for a 360.
It's a Microsoft product. You already gave up your soul long ago when you bought the first one.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 04:32 PM

No question. But I'm doubting whether I buy it at all right now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:33 PM

Lucky for me, Final Fantasy never managed to snare me.

(GTA, on the other hand, has made me its bitch)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 04:35 PM

Speaking of Batman: Arkham Asylum...

The game is getting great reviews so far. I didn't download the demo since I plan on picking up the full game regardless.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:36 PM

It's the first demo this gen that sold a game to me.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2009, 04:39 PM

To be fair, I haven't played with more than 4 of us at any one given time since January (Gears Horde). Other than Burnout on a handful of nights this year has been lacking in the NN meet-up department. (Obviously that'll change with MW, but just bein' honest)
The NN meet-ups will start picking up next month when ODST is released. I'm looking forward to the firefights.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:41 PM

After the letdown of Gears last year (both as a game and participation) my outlook has been tempered.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2009, 04:54 PM

If Epic didn't botch up the multiplayer so bad, I think the Gears meet-ups with NNers would have been more frequent. Trust me, ODST will be different. Unlike Epic, Bungie knows how to make a great multiplayer game. Plus it helps that sek, bogues & I are complete Bungie/Halo whores. So you won't have trouble finding a meet-up.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2009, 04:56 PM

Maybe I should have added a distinction in my poll, but I feel pretty sure that any gamer who's buying a PS3 at this point is buying it as a second or third system, not a replacement for the Xbox.

I once read a good POV on buying systems. A system will usually last you several years. Spread out over that length of time, $200-$300 is not very much — you can get the entire current generation for $800 or less. If there's any significant number of games for a system that interest you and its price isn't crazy, it's probably a good value. Compared to the cost of any other hobby over the same length of time, it's not actually that expensive. I think my sister spends more on scrapbooking than the price of a 360 spread out over the time I've had it.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Aug 25, 2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Took out the big words)
Chuck
___

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 04:57 PM

right click > Look Up in Dictionary

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 04:58 PM

I'm heading by my local Best Buy in a few minutes, gonna pick up a slim PS3 if they have one.

Anyone want to buy a 60gig w/ full PS2 compatibility?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2009, 05:00 PM

I'm sure you've mentioned why in another place, but what's the leading draw that you want to replace your glossy? Size?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2009, 05:04 PM

I'm sure you've mentioned why in another place, but what's the leading draw that you want to replace your glossy? Size?
Power consumption and noise are the biggest. Being able to stack it on top of something else in my cabinet is pretty big too. Right now the PS3 stands alone because it's too big to put anything under it.

Plus I can sell the 60 gig for $350 or so, making money on the deal. And I've never put a PS2 game in there, so wtf do I need it for?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Maybe I should have added a distinction in my poll, but I feel pretty sure that any gamer who's buying a PS3 at this point is buying it as a second or third system, not a replacement for the Xbox.

I once read a good POV on buying systems. A system will usually last you several years. Spread out over that length of time, $200-$300 is not very much — you can get the entire current generation for $800 or less. If there's any significant number of games for a system that interest you and its price isn't crazy, it's probably a good value. Compared to the cost of any other hobby over the same length of time, it's not actually that expensive. I think my sister spends more on scrapbooking than the price of a 360 spread out over the time I've had it.
Gaming is actually a very inexpensive hobby when compared to others.

Scrapbooking is unbelievably expensive. Home decorating (my wife's forte) gets beyond ridiculous. People around here spend small fortunes hunting and fishing, as rods, reels, guns, ammo, hunting leases, boats, etc. can eat up more funds than you could imagine. Don't even get me started on golf.

I guess the only reason I don't go out and buy one right now is because I've already bought several 360s this generation, and I've wasted enough money on trade-ins, Live memberships that expired, and more. My wife would've never thought twice if I'd bought a 360, PS3, and Wii (once) and kept them all. The fact that I've shown such indecision just makes her roll her eyes.

[EDIT] I should note that my wife DIDN'T (fixed) factor into this decision. I can't blame this one on her. She's just grateful I've been throwing a lot of my money towards clearing her student loan and stuff around the house.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2009, 08:18 PM

In other news, the new DLC named Pinnacle Station for Mass Effect came out today for 400 pts. Just downloaded it and I'm going to blow the dust off my disk. Should be fun.

Finally done with Resident Evil 5 as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 11:42 AM

[EDIT] I should note that my wife factor into this decision.
Yeah, I figured that out a few weeks ago. The only vagina in the way of your buying a 360 seems to be the one between your legs.

(Where's Laminar's burn gif when I need it?)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 11:59 AM

Yeeeoooowwwwch...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 12:03 PM

You may look forward to those types of comments and more, when purchasing an XBOX 360 and signing up for Gold Live Membership for online play!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 28, 2009, 10:33 AM

McBlobicus Sized Friday News

Holiday Bundle or New $399 Entrant?
Amazon Germany Lists 250GB Xbox 360 - Xbox 360 - Kotaku

MS acts like douche bags, take it back later
Microsoft Taking Action Against Those Who Buy and Play Halo 3: ODST Early - Halo 3: odst - Kotaku

Joystiq 360 Interview
Interview: Xbox's Aaron Greenberg on the $300 Elite and all things Xbox

I wouldn't say this is a fantastic read, but the interviewer does ask some pertinent questions, culminating with a fastball that triggers the PR person to jump in and say "last question."
So, here's something that I want to try and cut you slack on so I'm hoping you're going to give me a nice answer: pricing of the WiFi adapter? It's not being included with this new Elite SKU. The price is currently $99 MSRP. Is Microsoft planning on cutting the price of the WiFi adapter?

We have not announced any change to our accessory pricing as part of this announcement.

You're killin' me ...

Some dude weighs on console and lifespan stuff
EA Exec: 'PS 3.5', 'Xbox 560' will Precede Next Gen - Ea - Kotaku
Electronic Arts' Chief Creative Officer, in an interview, said that Sony and Microsoft, "nearly expired crossing the finish line as they launched their consoles," and don't want to build the next generation any time soon.

Sounds overstated, but looks legit to me.
Is EA Holding Back PS3 Cross-Game Voice Chat? - Ea - Kotaku
The post goes on to suggest that a similar situation occurred with cross-game chat, causing our tips line to fill up with angry emails, one of which even referred to the situation as a "Potential WATERGATE of the videogame industry."

Forum Links
Forum Rules